Wiki Posts
Search

J booked at zero, no R space

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
J booked at zero, no R space

I apologize if this has been answered, can't find it in search.

I booked a flight for this summer (early August), and waitlisted one segment in J with a GPU, FRA-EWR. J is booked at zero, but there is also no R space. I thought at least 1 R seat would be available on all flights, but I guess not? Does UA in some case not open any R space even with zero booked?

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by dcaflyer979
J is booked at zero ...
How do you know that? As far as I know, only employees have access to this information. Seat maps don't tell you the whole story ... the most an outside source could tell is that United is willing to sell at least 9 seats on a given flight, but that wouldn't be enough to conclude that not a single J seat was sold on any of the EWR-FRA flights.

but there is also no R space. I thought at least 1 R seat would be available on all flights, but I guess not? Does UA in some case not open any R space even with zero booked?
Yes. Very often there is no R space available even when the flights first open up and not a single seat is sold on the entire flight.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Unless you have access to the PBTs, any publicly-available insight into booked load is unreliable at best.

There's no hard-and-fast rule regarding R inventory. Total crapshoot, though usually R will open some time around T-24h if the cabin is not sold out.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Unless you have access to the PBTs, any publicly-available insight into booked load is unreliable at best.
I'm guessing that by "J is booked at zero" the OP really means no J seats sold?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FortFun
I'm guessing that by "J is booked at zero" the OP really means no J seats sold?
Which, for the public, would be impossible to know for sure without at least being able to see the PBTs.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
When I waitlisted the segment, the agent told me (by looking at her system) there are zero people booked in the J cabin, by paying, upgrade, etc.

She thought it was very strange that J was at 0 and there was 0 R space.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Which, for the public, would be impossible to know for sure without at least being able to see the PBTs.
Agreed, sorry. Thought I was responding to something else.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
There is no relationship that I can discern between paid J bookings and R space. The cabin can look completely empty from ExpertFlyer or the seat map or whatever but a) people may not have selected seats, and b) UA would first like to sell the seats before filling the cabin with upgrades. I'm waitlisted with a GPU on two segments (EWR-BCN, GVA-EWR) in June that appear to have a light load up front but I'm sure I'll be sweating it out until T-24 if I clear at all.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
When I waitlisted the segment, the agent told me (by looking at her system) there are zero people booked in the J cabin, by paying, upgrade, etc.

She thought it was very strange that J was at 0 and there was 0 R space.
no that is not unusual -- especially on major routes that expect a lot of close to departure sales.

BTW, J at 0 is usually means on FT, no J seats for sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.