Community
Wiki Posts
Search

757-200 vs A319 in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

757-200 vs A319 in First Class

I currently have two award seats booked for this summer from BRU-ORD-DCA in Business. Domestic First on the ORD-DCA leg. I've never flown UA premium cabin before.

The ORD-DCA leg was originally scheduled as an A-320 as were most of the flights to DC around that time of day. Flight schedules changed recently shifting the times by a 5-10 minutes for each flight and in the process lots of the scheduled aircraft types changed. My flight went to an A-319 (from 12 to 8 F seats). A flight to IAD 15 minutes later changed from 320 to a 757-200 and it currently shows the version 4 seatmap with flatbed seats.

So is that flight likely to stay with that configuration? Is that cabin significantly better for the two hour flight? If so can I switch easily without a fee for just that segment? There are two award seats for it as a standalone flight but the BRU-ORD flight has no availability, so I'd be worried of losing my current seats on that. Alternatively can I request a SDC to the other flight assuming the aircraft type is the flatbed one?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
terpfan,
is the 757 going into dca or iad? ive been on a few pmco 757s going into iad that continue on manchester or dublin but never been on a flatbed to dca, there again ive cut way back on ua domestic in the last 2.5 months as long as you have a seat assignment on the now changed to a 319 reservation you should be ok, i prefer the version 4 757s but thats just me, in the case where i was on a downgraded 320 to a 319 i was told always book a seat in rows 1 or 2 so that if the flight does get downgraded to a 319 the chances of keeping the seat upfront are better
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
It's highly likely that the aircraft will change (repeatedly) between now and then. I would wait until closer to the departure date and then look at what is scheduled. There's no real difference between a domestically-configured 752 and A319/320, but the internationally-configured 752 is obviously significantly better.

Originally Posted by cosflyer
terpfan,
is the 757 going into dca or iad? ive been on a few pmco 757s going into iad that continue on manchester or dublin but never been on a flatbed to dca, there again ive cut way back on ua domestic in the last 2.5 months as long as you have a seat assignment on the now changed to a 319 reservation you should be ok, i prefer the version 4 757s but thats just me, in the case where i was on a downgraded 320 to a 319 i was told always book a seat in rows 1 or 2 so that if the flight does get downgraded to a 319 the chances of keeping the seat upfront are better
Flat-bed 752 is going to IAD according to the OP.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Considering it is a 2 hour flight I would use whichever airport is more convenient for where you are trying to go. I would not trade 2 hours in an intl config 752 landing at IAD when there is an option that will get you to DCA, if your final destination in the district or just outside to the N/S/E.

I would also call and request to be waitlisted for BRU->IAD direct, unless you really want/need the stop in ORD for some reason (such as to get to DCA).
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Ditto. Besides, you will have just come off an international flight and will have seen all the movies on offer anyway!

I would keep my eyes open for flights on Brussels Airlines.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Agree with ddrost1 on both accounts. I take DCA over IAD any day (especially when coming home and I don't want to take the endless and expensive cab from IAD).

As for the 752 lie-flat, it's certainly nice to have the lie-flat bed, but in terms of pure service, the quality won't be much different on the 752 vs. the a320/738/739 for a flight as short as ORD - DCA (which on a good day is only 1.25). If it was the normal 763 / 777, that would change my thinking somewhat but for a 752 not worth it if DCA is a better airport for you.

As a general aside, I'm intrigued that they're flying a 752 international ORD - IAD, haven't looked at the schedule recently but wonder if this is a switch from the 763 and occasional 777 that usually goes ORD - IAD / IAD - ORD once a day.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Agree with ddrost1 on both accounts. I take DCA over IAD any day (especially when coming home and I don't want to take the endless and expensive cab from IAD).

As for the 752 lie-flat, it's certainly nice to have the lie-flat bed, but in terms of pure service, the quality won't be much different on the 752 vs. the a320/738/739 for a flight as short as ORD - DCA (which on a good day is only 1.25). If it was the normal 763 / 777, that would change my thinking somewhat but for a 752 not worth it if DCA is a better airport for you.

As a general aside, I'm intrigued that they're flying a 752 international ORD - IAD, haven't looked at the schedule recently but wonder if this is a switch from the 763 and occasional 777 that usually goes ORD - IAD / IAD - ORD once a day.
What service is there on the 763 / 777 that there wouldn't be on the 752?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddrost1
Considering it is a 2 hour flight I would use whichever airport is more convenient for where you are trying to go. I would not trade 2 hours in an intl config 752 landing at IAD when there is an option that will get you to DCA, if your final destination in the district or just outside to the N/S/E.

I would also call and request to be waitlisted for BRU->IAD direct, unless you really want/need the stop in ORD for some reason (such as to get to DCA).
I currently live in Arlington, VA so DCA would be better but have moved to Montgomery County MD when I return from the trip. So getting back from IAD is slightly better especially at PM rush hour.

I was all set to book the direct route and then availability disappeared about a week before I booked it. So I grabbed the ORD route and now there only availability on a Lufthansa flight connecting in Munich on A330 (with their old seats). I'm going to stick with my United flight and I'll call about waitlisting. The direct flight is currently listed as a 777-200 but I read somewhere that it'd be changing to a 767 in the summer which worried me a bit as far as not getting the new seats. It's also starting to fill up but nowhere near as much as the ORD flight I'm currently on is. F is down to two seats left and C is about 50% full.

Originally Posted by zrs70
I would keep my eyes open for flights on Brussels Airlines.
I was excited when I heard that Brussels Airlines was starting this route (announcement made a few weeks after booking the flight) but for some reason the day of my flight (a Friday) doesn't have the flight listed. I'll keep an eye open for it though.

Originally Posted by flyerdude88

We'd have someone to pick us up at IAD so no worries there. I'm not so fussed about the service or actual flight itself, but more wanted to try the PMCO seats to compare to the PMUA seats that I'll experience on the 777 from BRU-ORD. The 757 is just flying the ORD-IAD route probably to position for a flight from IAD to LHR, MAN, or DUB.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
That was poor english, I wasn't intending to link the 763 / 777 to the sentence before about quality of service because I would agree the quality of service between a 763 / 777 / 752 is going to be the same. My thinking would change as I mentioned if it was a 763 / 777 because I prefer the widebody and IMHO the seats on the 763 / 777 on occasion are worth it to fly into IAD instead of DCA just to switch things up, but for 2 hours not worth going to IAD.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by terpfan101
The direct flight is currently listed as a 777-200 but I read somewhere that it'd be changing to a 767 in the summer which worried me a bit as far as not getting the new seats.
The PMCO 767-400s have been converted to the flat-beds, all except for 2 on HI runs mostly. The UA 767-300s all have IPTE and there are a few 2 class 767-300s with the pmco flat beds in BF so odds are in your favor on getting a flat bed on a 767 going tatl.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by terpfan101
....The ORD-DCA leg was originally scheduled as an A-320 as were most of the flights to DC around that time of day. Flight schedules changed recently shifting the times by a 5-10 minutes for each flight and in the process lots of the scheduled aircraft types changed. My flight went to an A-319 (from 12 to 8 F seats). ....

So is that flight likely to stay with that configuration? Is that cabin significantly better for the two hour flight? If so can I switch easily without a fee for just that segment? ....
as other have mention there are minor differences in the domestic sUA first class seats -- and of little consequences for a 2 hour flight.

For a bit more discussion on this, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-a320-etc.html (these domestic aircraft when used for north american flights the first class area is re-titled as business )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.