Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Told by UA agent to choose between CPU queue OR companion benes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold

Here is the story.

3 pax res - one PNR - Plat plus two general members

Assigned all 3 seats in E+

At T+72 (my upgrade window), I needed to split the reservation to allow myself and one companion enter the CPU upgrade queue. Assumed other companion would remain eligible for E+ seating (already assigned) and free baggage allowance since all 3 tix were PURCHASED on the same PNR.

After split, the "upgrade requested" and "upgrade eligible" flags appear on the original PNR which now has 2 pax. New PNR with general member now shows a E+ upsell offer AND baggage fees of $25/$35.

Called Premier line and agent says that new PNR is no longer eligible for E+ or baggage allowance. She said it was my choice to split the reservation and I now lose these benefits. I protest saying this is a system limitation of UA and NOT my choice, and she basically tells me to go pound sand.

Never would have made the split if the stupid SHARES system did not require me to do this in order to process potential upgrades. Now I am told I need to trade off one Premier benefit for the other.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar experience or different POV from other agents.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
it is one or the other in this case.

For PMUA, to guest someone into E+, you had to also be in E+, not up front.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Exactly same situation

However, mine ended differently.

My two kids (GM's) on my PNR (GS). My wife who is also GS was upgraded at the 120 hour make on the same flight under a separate PNR (not split, different booking).

We called GS and asked to move one of the kids to my wife's PNR since having two kids was restricting the upgrade for me since we're allowed only one companion upgrade. She couldn't attach my son to my wife, but she just went ahead and upgraded me and the two kids right away.

Now that my son was dangling on his own PNR, he wasn't auto upgraded on the return. We called again, boom upgraded no issues.

This has happened before too.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wpr8e
However, mine ended differently.

My two kids (GM's) on my PNR (GS). My wife who is also GS was upgraded at the 120 hour make on the same flight under a separate PNR (not split, different booking).

We called GS and asked to move one of the kids to my wife's PNR since having two kids was restricting the upgrade for me since we're allowed only one companion upgrade. She couldn't attach my son to my wife, but she just went ahead and upgraded me and the two kids right away.

Now that my son was dangling on his own PNR, he wasn't auto upgraded on the return. We called again, boom upgraded no issues.

This has happened before too.
Upgraded to business or to economy plus?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....We called GS .....
Other mortals get different outcomes.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Upgraded to business or to economy plus?
Domestic First from E+

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Other mortals get different outcomes.
True. I was hesitant to post this since I was afraid of the arrows heading my way, since someone might think I'm 'stealing' their upgrade.

As a GS member, they do allow us to upgrade a companion on the same PNR at the designated windows (IIRC). Since my child couldn't be attached (but could have had we booked together) we stayed within the intent of the benefit, despite not playing exactly by the rules.

On a different note, I was flying on a 24F 757 SFO-EWR this week and I was in row 6. The FA took GS orders for food and I was number 5 or 6 as she worked her way backwards. She then zigzagged around the cabin by status and ended up with the lady in front of me who got what was left. She was a 1K when I glanced at her BP. That alone keeps me flying UA to make sure I keep what I'm getting today. A 1K getting last choice, wow!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Domestic First from E+

True. I was hesitant to post this since I was afraid of the arrows heading my way, since someone might think I'm 'stealing' their upgrade.

As a GS member, they do allow us to upgrade a companion on the same PNR at the designated windows (IIRC). Since my child couldn't be attached (but could have had we booked together) we stayed within the intent of the benefit, despite not playing exactly by the rules.

On a different note, I was flying on a 24F 757 SFO-EWR this week and I was in row 6. The FA took GS orders for food and I was number 5 or 6 as she worked her way backwards. She then zigzagged around the cabin by status and ended up with the lady in front of me who got what was left. She was a 1K when I glanced at her BP. That alone keeps me flying UA to make sure I keep what I'm getting today. A 1K getting last choice, wow!
I don't blame you--I would have done the same thing if UA was willing. But yes, the thought of "upgrade thief" did come to mind!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Domestic First from E+

Oh, yes ... we got used to it though... I personally have NEVER received priority meal order EVER on any of the UA flights I have taken... and being a 1K means I took quite a few flights last year and this year as well...

I can live without it, but then please do not advertise it as some kind of "benefit" because people might expect it, that's all
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Best to deal with the baggage fees at the airport. Competent check-in agents will waive the fees since you were all originally on the same PNR.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
it is one or the other in this case.

For PMUA, to guest someone into E+, you had to also be in E+, not up front.
Agree 100%. This is the way it is. Except that the GM shouldn't have been reassigned a seat. Are you sure they were moved out of E+? (Ignore the coding that tells you you can pay for E+).

As a note, last year, the split off passenger also received the luggage benefits - but they tightened this up.

Just check their luggage under yours.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Im more amazed that they put a PMUA 757 on a SFO-EWR run rather then a PMCO 752. But then again most planes are the PMCO 738s

ps should be extended to the EWR flights as well, but w/o the likes of DL or AA its not gonna happen

Under PMCO as long as the res were at 1 time on the same PNR they allowed all those on the original PNR to get the Elites beenies, and theyw ere able to see when looking at the PNR spun off that it was originally apart of the other PNR. Since 3/3 have they stopped doing that, even back then the person spun off showed they had to pay for their bags. But once at the counter and they looked it wasnt charged

Last edited by craz; Apr 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.

No the E+ seat for the GM split off was not reassigned (yet) so I'm not going to touch it and hope it continues to stick.

Agree now that if I need the extra baggage allowance, I'll have to deal with it at the counter and show the original PNR. I'll bring a printout with me just in case. If I get push back, I'm going to be a bit peeved -- especially if this whole mess never results in any upgrades being processed. After all it IS a CPU LOTTERY.....if I had to pay a $25 bag fee to be guaranteed 2 upgrades I might actually be able to rationalize this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.