Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reopened (April 2013) UC @ PHL -- Access, comments, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reopened (April 2013) UC @ PHL -- Access, comments, ....

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I can see BA closing its lounge (which it shares with AA) and moving passengers up to the premium US lounge in A wing, then LH using the BA lounge.
Do you really think LH would operate its own lounge in PHL? My guess is that at least for the short term, they will contract with US to continue using the A terminal lounge, similar to UA's arrangement with the Skyteam lounge at LHR.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Do you really think LH would operate its own lounge in PHL? My guess is that at least for the short term, they will contract with US to continue using the A terminal lounge, similar to UA's arrangement with the Skyteam lounge at LHR.
Exactly. LH won't open a lounge for a 5x weekly flight to Frankfurt (compared to MUC + FRA twice a day during peak season at IAD, plus other Star carriers nearby).

Then again, see ATL...

-----

Back on topic--how are the new bathrooms? Can someone post pictures? Please tell me the ashtrays are gone!
Old May 6, 2013, 1:42 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
It would be humorous to see a LH HON member on a RT FRA-PHL-FRA using the FRA FCT on the outbound and then heading over to the UC in PHL on the way home. A pretty good example of extremes.
Doesn't this happen already at few US airports served by LH where it doesn't operate its own lounge? It would be worse if the UC remains in D while the LH flight continues to depart out of A-West. It's probably not even worth the effort & walk to visit the UC before the flight.

LAX
Old May 6, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

Back on topic--how are the new bathrooms? Can someone post pictures? Please tell me the ashtrays are gone!
Pics of the bathroom? No thanks, and I wouldn't want some dude snapping a pic while I'm in there. I'll just wait with baited breath until my next visit (end of the month). It is after all, an airline club bathroom.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:27 am

The bathrooms are quite nice. Nothing spectacular but a big improvement over the old bathrooms. Though certainly nothing that should have taken 6 months or whatever it was.

Who know's the future of LH at PHL. PHL doesn't seem to be a stellar performer for LH. I know US flies 2x day PHL-FRA for a good chunk of the year but LH can't seem to even keep a 1x daily flt year round. With the loss of the US feed they may just drop PHL.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by LAX
Doesn't this happen already at few US airports served by LH where it doesn't operate its own lounge? It would be worse if the UC remains in D while the LH flight continues to depart out of A-West. It's probably not even worth the effort & walk to visit the UC before the flight.

LAX
UC at most locations are serviceable but that PHL club is one of the worst of any airline anywhere - you're probably better off at some generic airport bar/restaurant. US "A club" is also decent other that there's only one bar and it's way at one end.
Old May 6, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
UC at most locations are serviceable but that PHL club is one of the worst of any airline anywhere - you're probably better off at some generic airport bar/restaurant. US "A club" is also decent other that there's only one bar and it's way at one end.
A lot of the PHL United club "regulars" would disagree with you on this. Sure it's a rather small space, but the staff working there have a good reputation.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Pics of the bathroom? No thanks, and I wouldn't want some dude snapping a pic while I'm in there. I'll just wait with baited breath until my next visit (end of the month). It is after all, an airline club bathroom.
Obviously when no one else is inside...

Hopefully an improvement to this:

More picts.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by nova08
Who know's the future of LH at PHL. PHL doesn't seem to be a stellar performer for LH. I know US flies 2x day PHL-FRA for a good chunk of the year but LH can't seem to even keep a 1x daily flt year round. With the loss of the US feed they may just drop PHL.
It is possible that LH could do better by picking up the PHL-area folks who want to remain with *A after US departure.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
SAP has a large presence (HQ, in fact) which may help maintain LH post merger.

In the old days, Air France used to depart from E terminal with the Delta folk, after arriving in A(-East once AW opened(and was supposed to be "International Terminal 1")). I believe the current Delta-metal flight pulls the same journey...

Will be very interesting to see what happens to UA after the merger, they seemed to entrench in D-Concourse after the rebranding, taking more gates than it would seem they need; but it may be more to play keep-away than anything else...
Old May 6, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Flyer78
SAP has a large presence (HQ, in fact) which may help maintain LH post merger.

In the old days, Air France used to depart from E terminal with the Delta folk, after arriving in A(-East once AW opened(and was supposed to be "International Terminal 1")). I believe the current Delta-metal flight pulls the same journey...

Will be very interesting to see what happens to UA after the merger, they seemed to entrench in D-Concourse after the rebranding, taking more gates than it would seem they need; but it may be more to play keep-away than anything else...
I don't think the case is that they've taken more gates than they need, but rather that the combined airline now has more gates than frequency; a number of the low-number gates appear to be deactivated in favor of additional food court seating/charging stations.

I'd love to see some improvements to the D concourse, but I'd hate to see UA move anywhere else in PHL - the D/E connector is the only adequately-sized security checkpoint in the whole airport (except possibly A-West, although I've never departed from A-West), and you've got multiple options for decent coffee (Peets in the D/E connector, Dunkin in D, ABP in E). I am surprised UA and DL haven't arranged some kind of gate swap to move DL into the lower-number gates and closer to their other gates and club in E - but maybe that's coming too.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
They switched the bathrooms. Men's on the right now, and Women's on the left. Not sure why.

I almost entered the new Women's bathroom - was so used to walking down the hall and turning left automatically.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JeepGuyDE
They switched the bathrooms. Men's on the right now, and Women's on the left. Not sure why.

I almost entered the new Women's bathroom - was so used to walking down the hall and turning left automatically.
That is funny. I like the new placement away from the crowd and food. Small bathroom though.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Critic
I don't think the case is that they've taken more gates than they need, but rather that the combined airline now has more gates than frequency; a number of the low-number gates appear to be deactivated in favor of additional food court seating/charging stations.
I guess that is what I meant.. though CO only had two gates (I believe) pre-merger. Now the "left side" of D is all branded D gates (D1 for Air Canada) out through the hammerhead.

D overall is nice; I am glad they didn't fully box in the waiting areas like B and C (I do wonder if that layout, ramp and stairs; was praised on initial opening...) and it does let their passengers spread out a little more. I think the B and C concourses would appear less congested if the room taken by the meandering ramps could be truncated, the jet bridges raised; and .... well; anyway...

I was surprised Spirit went into A-West gates (I guess it sort-of replaced Frontier)
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:56 pm
RNE

This week, TSMRSRNE and I will be connecting at PHL with a 3-hour layover. I am a United Club member so we can access both UA and US's clubs. Any recommendations on which we should use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.