Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reopened (April 2013) UC @ PHL -- Access, comments, ....

Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:35 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you a heads up that we have temporarily closed the United Club at PHL, due to ventilation issues possibly associated with an airport roofing project that is underway in the vicinity. Although we’re still working to identify the precise cause(s) and mitigate appropriately, for now we’re erring on the side of safety and caution for both our co-workers and customers.

As you're likely aware, United Club members and eligible Star Gold members (i.e. traveling on int’l itineraries) may use the US Airways Clubs at PHL as an alternative to the United Club while we work to re-open.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Aaron, with the facility closed will that give you a chance to accelerate the bathroom remodel? Or has work stopped on that as well? As you know, the bathrooms have already been closed for several months.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
There's a bathroom remodel underway for the terminal, and IIRC the bathroom in the club is controlled(?) by the airport authority. Hopefully that general bathroom remodel will include the UC. Then again, with US likely leaving *A they might put the UC at the bottom of the list

http://articles.philly.com/2013-03-2...-owned-airport
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Temporary Closure of United Club at PHL

Why would US' membership in *A make a difference in bathroom renovations that are being done by the city(airport owner)?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Why would US' membership in *A make a difference in bathroom renovations that are being done by the city(airport owner)?
It was a joke. I was implying that US would have a say over the order in which the bathrooms were remodeled.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Aaron, with the facility closed will that give you a chance to accelerate the bathroom remodel? Or has work stopped on that as well? As you know, the bathrooms have already been closed for several months.
I was in the PHL UC on the 27th and had a chat with one of my favorite UA PHL agents about the lav situation. She stated that the work was progressing but expected it to be "a few more months" until completion

We discussed how it was issues with the city, the airport, and the unions that were causing all the delays. There was construction work going on while I was there so progress was being made. There were no issues that day with ventilation or fumes so it's a recent issue and hopefully can be cleared up quickly so the club can re-open.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Aaron, with the facility closed will that give you a chance to accelerate the bathroom remodel?
+1.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
The Loooonnnggggg bathroom remodeling (I remolded a 15 room house a lot quicker) is not UA's fault, it is the Union and the City of Philadelphia. It shows the problem and extra expense when the government and Unions get involved.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I was in the club on Monday and Tuesday this week and it smelled fine. Hope the problem is quickly pinpointed and eliminated.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Gold
Oh goody, I'll be there on Monday, Tuesday and Friday (and then the following Saturday). *sigh* Well, putting aside the walk, my Wife might enjoy the US Airways lounge more, should the United Club still be closed on Friday.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I was in the club on Monday and Tuesday this week and it smelled fine. Hope the problem is quickly pinpointed and eliminated.
I was there on Wednesday and it smelled like chemicals and they had the door open and big fans on. Was really bad....
Old Mar 31, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by spin88
I was there on Wednesday and it smelled like chemicals and they had the door open and big fans on. Was really bad....
What time? I was there just before noon on Wednesday and had no issues.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Mar 31, 2013 at 2:49 am
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:44 pm

It is pretty crazy how the airport/unions hold the airlines hostage in PHL. They held DL hostage for at least 1 1/2 years to build a standard outstation club and they've held UA hostage for at least 3-4 months to simply renovate a small pair of bathrooms.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
It is pretty crazy how the airport/unions hold the airlines hostage in PHL. They held DL hostage for at least 1 1/2 years to build a standard outstation club and they've held UA hostage for at least 3-4 months to simply renovate a small pair of bathrooms.
I think it's been even longer than that. Welcome to Philth-adelphia, and I can say that because I grew up there.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:03 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi MatthewLAX, the latest information I have is that we're planning to finish the bathroom remodel by 5/1.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.