Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sydney - traveling UA GF - runaround to use Singapore F Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney - traveling UA GF - runaround to use Singapore F Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by entropy
Its a much bigger problem that SQ doesn't allow premium cabin redemptions on most of their aircraft for *A partners.
they think they're too good for everyone else.
I suppose you want to kick LX out as well? Or how about NH since they only release one F seat? Or even LH since they won't let UA pax use the FCT/FCLs and since they don't release F award seats to partners until T-14.

Originally Posted by cova
UA/LH rule *A - why not kick Singapore out. No loss.
Yeah, that'll teach 'em. SQ joins OW. We showed them.

Originally Posted by 787fan
It's definitely better to keep a snobby but highly reputable partner than to lose it to oneworld or sky team. CX barely works with their oneworld friends but no one dares to kick them out either.
What planet are you on? As weero noted, CX is a great OW partner offering loads of F availability to OW partners, and full Flounge access to OW Emeralds flying any class.

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Yes, I have experianced ZERO award availabilty with SQ. Was planning a trip to Sydney next year & did want to try all that SQ lounges had to offer.
With the US/AA merger, I guess it will now be Quantas F lounge for me!
Suggest you look for the Qantas lounge instead.
As for SQ availability, wake up and find an alternative. Amex MR and SPG are partners. I recently booked 4 SQ A380 First Suites tickets from LAX-NRT or SIN with KF miles from my Amex account. Tons of availability.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SFO777
..As for SQ availability, wake up and find an alternative. Amex MR and SPG are partners. I recently booked 4 SQ A380 First Suites tickets from LAX-NRT or SIN with KF miles from my Amex account. Tons of availability.
OhMyFlyertalkGod! That is one stunning performance!

And I was happy to find the occasional SQ Biz seat or ug that way !
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Well - turns out none of the 21 people in the SQ F Sydney lounge (except 2 of us) were not on UA in F. With the SQ A380 only having 12 F seats that tells me that SQ must let there top tier in the F lounge even if in Business?? (like oneworld does).

Upon arrival at SFO on UA - used the UA arrivals lounge (not crowded at all) and then went out the the UA F lounge at gate 98. Had domestic connection but could use the UA F lounge in SFO because of same day F flight.

Now I was impressed with the UA F lounge at SFO - excellent food offerings (much better then SQ F lounge in SYD). The UA F lounge at SFO is much nicer and much better/more food than say the UA F lounge at IAD.

Last edited by cova; Mar 4, 2013 at 11:38 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
As I recall, SQ PPS Solitaire (US$200K+ spend on SQ F and J tickets over five years and then $20K/year every year after), their partners (even traveling alone) and one guest get SQ F lounge access. I do not think they normally give F lounge access to anyone else not in F. Regular PPS (US$20K+/year spend on SQ F and J) get only J lounge access.

All spend amounts are SQ F and J tickets only.

Last edited by LAX UA 1K; Mar 4, 2013 at 11:32 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by gailwynand
Which airport would you rather transit in, SIN or BKK? Have you spent much time at BKK?
A lot. You're right in that SIN is a far less frustrating airport. That said, I'd still connect in Bangkok because personally, I'd rather stop over there than in Singapore. YMMV.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by IainC
Most definitely. The SQ lounge is somewhat smaller than the Koru lounge. The times I have used the SQ lounge it has been quiet comfortable and my feeling is the food is better than Koru lounge. Crowding in the Koru lounge has become a problem as more and more airlines seem to be added to the list of users.
I agree with Iain C. I have used both SYD lounges and the SQ F lounge was very nice, very quiet and calm. I think there was a total of maybe 3 people in there including myself . They certainly have much nicer champagne to drink while you wait to board SQ F

I do like the Koru Club also especially if UA Annie is working there.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Kick SQ out of *A because we can't use MP miles to redeem on to SQ or can't use their lounge when we use miles/upgrade into GF? ROFL

I for one am thankful that we have SQ as a viable alternative to UA. I don't have to suffer UA TPAC and instead can credit my SQ flights to MP (and earn PPS credit at the same time). I survive my domestic flights without having to deal with god-awful service or the ICC because those SQ flights help sustain my 1K status. So yes, to anyone complaining about SQ being unfair to other members, continue flying on UA. But on behalf of all of us who are wise enough to take advantage of the SQ service by actually flying with them, we don't want them going anywhere.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by daron4000
Kick SQ out of *A because we can't use MP miles to redeem on to SQ or can't use their lounge when we use miles/upgrade into GF? ROFL
Paid UA GF and full reward should qualify for SQ F lounge. In fact I think upgrade from J to GF should qualify for SQ F lounge as well.

A *A gold card should not give access to SQ F lounge but that is what SQ wants.

The point is SQ doesn't play by the rules. Go to the Star Alliance website and an International F * boarding pass gets you into any * F lounge.

I might say - I had issue getting into the terrible UA F lounge at IAD once - when flying LH F (748). UA says you need to be flying UA to use the UA F lounge that LH F did not count. I talked to UA agents and they let me look around what was a bad F lounge.

Point is though - UA site links you to * site and a GF boarding pass gets you into * F lounge. Otherwise just eliminate lounge access unless it is the carrier you are flying.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gailwynand
Which airport would you rather transit in, SIN or BKK? Have you spent much time at BKK?
The "BKK experience" is optional-- you can skip it for a small fee. At BKK it is really cheap to get the golf-cart VIP service-- like $40-- a drop in the bucket to anyone paying J/F prices. A gaurantee of no lines or hassles and help avoiding a misconnect in case of irrops (eg. making a 25 minute connection) are well worth the fee. It would be nice if more airports offered this at such a reasonable price. I think JetQuay is like $100+ as are most other airports offering similar services.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by cova
Paid UA GF and full reward should qualify for SQ F lounge. In fact I think upgrade from J to GF should qualify for SQ F lounge as well.

A *A gold card should not give access to SQ F lounge but that is what SQ wants.

The point is SQ doesn't play by the rules. Go to the Star Alliance website and an International F * boarding pass gets you into any * F lounge.

I might say - I had issue getting into the terrible UA F lounge at IAD once - when flying LH F (748). UA says you need to be flying UA to use the UA F lounge that LH F did not count. I talked to UA agents and they let me look around what was a bad F lounge.

Point is though - UA site links you to * site and a GF boarding pass gets you into * F lounge. Otherwise just eliminate lounge access unless it is the carrier you are flying.
I understand the rules perfectly, but was merely generalizing since the vast majority on this board (and the overall population) travelling in UA GF have not paid an F/A/P fare whereas the vast majority of those travelling in SQ F have. In terms of lounge access, look at the number of posts of people complaining for being denied access to the SFO SKL as a *G on a domestic itinerary. If UA won't give access to the RCC, why should SQ? Then look at the number of posts of people being incorrectly denied access to the IFL in SFO for travelling on a *A F departure out of SFO. I am willing to bet that UA incorrectly turns away Star FC passengers from their IFL much more frequently than SQ does.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:17 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by bsd
No point in frequent flyers earning miles if they can't spend them.
But from an airline point of view that is exactly what is desired. You (us) passengers just don't understand how these things work!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Got to use both the ANZ and SQ F lounges on 15 Apr when departing SYD in UA GF. When we checked in the ticket agent made a point of directing us to the ANZ lounge, which we went to first because we got there while the SQ lounge was closed. Later, though, we moved to the SQ lounge. When we walked in there were two agents at the desk. One was very friendly and polite, the other gave us the hairy eyeball. Even the nice one, though, tried to direct us back to the ANZ lounge because we were on UA. I said "But, the Star Alliance site says we are supposed to be able to use the First Class lounge here". The nice agent then immediately took our boarding passes and checked us in, while still trying to suggest that UA uses the ANZ lounge. The other agent, still seeming to be unhappy about this, said that she would have to go get them to set things up because they hadn't been opened that long (about 25 minutes, according to the sign on the door). In the end, they did set things up and we spent the rest of our time there with the place to ourselves until about 15 minutes before we left to catch UA870.

Now, I would, of course, rank either of these lounges above the domestic UC's, including the GFL at ORD (SFO GFL is a different story). But, I, personally, preferred the food options in the SQ F lounge, and they actually had a beer available that was not a hoppy, pale lager (James Squires Amber Ale, my favorite Australian beer). Since we left the ANZ lounge so early, I can't comment on how crowded it got, but in the same situation again I will try to wrestle my way back into the SQ F lounge.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Michilander
When we walked in there were two agents at the desk. One was very friendly and polite, the other gave us the hairy eyeball. Even the nice one, though, tried to direct us back to the ANZ lounge because we were on UA. I said "But, the Star Alliance site says we are supposed to be able to use the First Class lounge here". The nice agent then immediately took our boarding passes and checked us in, while still trying to suggest that UA uses the ANZ lounge. The other agent, still seeming to be unhappy about this, said that she would have to go get them to set things up because they hadn't been opened that long (about 25 minutes, according to the sign on the door).
If you do it enough you quickly learn the personalities of the small number of people that work in that lounge. There is one in particular who gave me the third degree every time for about 9 entries to that lounge in a month. I don't know how I got that unlucky with the roster.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by bsd
No point in frequent flyers earning miles if they can't spend them.
I don't think the purpose of these alliances to the airlines has anything to do with frequent flyer points.

In any event, I've run into the same problem at SQ stations all over -- however they usually buckle under and adhere to the rules if you are calm, insistent, and in the right (it's a Star Alliance lounge with signage, you have a F-class international ticket on a Star Carrier, and they're open). A few lounges, they don't have Star signage and claim it isn't a participating lounge.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, *A Gold
I've visited both lounges, and would say, yes you should go there. Although the SQ lounge is much smaller than the Koru lounge, it does serves decent Southeast Asian-style tapas, pastries, etc., along with a decent selection of wine/alcohol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.