Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sydney - traveling UA GF - runaround to use Singapore F Lounge

Old Mar 2, 13, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

Currently in Sydney Singapore F lounge - what a runaround to get in.

united.com points to star lounge and Singapore F lounge comes up for UA GF.

First, the Global First check in agent at SYD said that Singapore was not a Star carrier. He said check at the adjacent desk with UA people. The UA people weren't sure. I told them they were.

Get to F lounge -- agent said UA uses Air New Zealand lounge, but I said I am eligible to use the Singapore F lounge based on class of travel. She said you need an airline Gold card - I showed her mine, but said the boarding pass should be enough. In fact a Gold card doesn't get you in the F lounge anyway.

Either a bunch of idiots - or Singapore or UA doesn't want to play by * rules.

Why is Singapore even in * A?
Old Mar 2, 13, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
I was just in that Lounge last week. Gave the agents my UA 1k card and my GF boarding pass to SFO. No problem. Give them whatever they want to get in. The ANZ Lounge looked awful.

We should be thankful they are in the Star Alliance. Certainly one of the true "Stars" in the Alliance. And yes I hate their lack of award available for us UA members. Shame on SQ for that and UA for letting it happen.
Old Mar 2, 13, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Either a bunch of idiots - or Singapore or UA doesn't want to play by * rules.

Its a much bigger problem that SQ doesn't allow premium cabin redemptions on most of their aircraft for *A partners.

they think they're too good for everyone else.
Old Mar 2, 13, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by cova View Post
Currently in Sydney Singapore F lounge - what a runaround to get in.
Sadly, this isn't unique to the SYD station. They play this game, either through ignorance or concious efforts to disuade pax from entering in other places as well.
First, the Global First check in agent at SYD said that Singapore was not a Star carrier. He said check at the adjacent desk with UA people.
SYD is staffed by contract Menzies agents and this TOO is a problem. See above.
agent said UA uses Air New Zealand lounge, but I said I am eligible to use the Singapore F lounge based on class of travel.
You were BOTH correct. You, on balance more than the agent.
$$$$$???? Just a guess.

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE View Post
I was just in that Lounge last week. Gave the agents my UA 1k card and my GF boarding pass to SFO. No problem.
You were lucky! Maybe the agents were just being kind on your day!
Give them whatever they want to get in. The ANZ Lounge looked awful.
I was with you up until this. The NZ lounge in SYD is one of the best.

Dave
Old Mar 2, 13, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
I took my first ever trip to Sydney in late December, and was turned away from the SQ lounge and sent to the NZ lounge. Had a ticket in BF, and had my 1K/Star Gold card too. They basically shooed me away saying that if they let all the Star Golds in, there wouldn't be any room for SQ passengers.

I thought that was a bunch of BS at the time but I didn't fight it at the time and didn't really mind anyways, as I thought the Koru Club was pretty nice. But I did want to check out what SQ had to offer. Oh well.
Old Mar 2, 13, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
When 2 of us arrived at the Singapore lounge - only one other person. Now there are 21. Singapore has an A380 5 minutes before the UA to SFO - and they only have 12 F seats - so must have more UA people in here. Although we did hear people being turned away.

UA/LH rule *A - why not kick Singapore out. No loss.
Old Mar 2, 13, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...UA/LH rule *A - why not kick Singapore out. No loss.
You will lose the chance to ever get into SQ F lounge again.

Yes, SQ F passengers will also lose the chance to get into UA F lounge. But somehow we don't hear too many complaints from them.
Old Mar 2, 13, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
When 2 of us arrived at the Singapore lounge - only one other person. Now there are 21. Singapore has an A380 5 minutes before the UA to SFO - and they only have 12 F seats - so must have more UA people in here. Although we did hear people being turned away.

Because it would mess up LH's ability to serve Australia (as well as *A's from Europe), given that LH and SQ partner through SIN. BKK is not as good a substitute, and neither is forcing folks through AKL on NZ. You'd also lose some SE Asian/India coverage out of SIN as well.

I think it unlikely that UA and LH want to be kicking anyone out of alliances because of contract employees messing up lounge access rules plus a lack of partner award space...
Old Mar 2, 13, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
The ANZ Lounge looked awful.
I have been to the Koru lounge in SYD many times. It normally is OK, but recently on the SYD-SFO run, the lounge has become completely filled, all the food is gone before it hits the tables, and seats are starting to look like the DEN UA club! Ugh.

I never have tried the SQ lounge in Syd. Any comments by those who have? Is it worth the try when Koru is full?
Old Mar 2, 13, 11:55 pm

That's right ... off with their heads because your excellency was turned away by a lounge dragon

Old Mar 3, 13, 12:07 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
No gain, either.
Old Mar 3, 13, 12:08 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
I have been to the Koru lounge in SYD many times. It normally is OK, but recently on the SYD-SFO run, the lounge has become completely filled, all the food is gone before it hits the tables, and seats are starting to look like the DEN UA club! Ugh.

I never have tried the SQ lounge in Syd. Any comments by those who have? Is it worth the try when Koru is full?
Most definitely. The SQ lounge is somewhat smaller than the Koru lounge. The times I have used the SQ lounge it has been quiet comfortable and my feeling is the food is better than Koru lounge. Crowding in the Koru lounge has become a problem as more and more airlines seem to be added to the list of users.
Old Mar 3, 13, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by IainC View Post
Most definitely. The SQ lounge is somewhat smaller than the Koru lounge. The times I have used the SQ lounge it has been quiet comfortable and my feeling is the food is better than Koru lounge. Crowding in the Koru lounge has become a problem as more and more airlines seem to be added to the list of users.
Thanks! Is there a separate F section in the SQ lounge? I know it is small, but if it has a separate F section, hopefully that will be uncrowded. I will be flying UA F in a few months.
Old Mar 3, 13, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS

I've never been impressed with the SQ lounge. Tiny, had no food, poor wifi, and no local UA staff. Well below standard IMHO. The airNZ lounge has Annie, showers, ok coffee, more booze, ok wifi. Quality of food seems to have improved (availability and quality). Definitely better than the average UA lounge. It is pretty busy these days, but don't let that ruin the experience.
Old Mar 3, 13, 1:41 am
bsd

Programs: UA 1MM, NZ Gold Elite, EK Silver, QF Silver
I was just in that Lounge last week. Gave the agents my UA 1k card and my GF boarding pass to SFO. No problem. Give them whatever they want to get in. The ANZ Lounge looked awful.

We should be thankful they are in the Star Alliance. Certainly one of the true "Stars" in the Alliance. And yes I hate their lack of award available for us UA members. Shame on SQ for that and UA for letting it happen.
Since three weeks ago NZ have gone down the same road. No inventory in I class trans-Tasman (i.e. between NZ and Australia). No longer possible to burn UA miles in business class on these routes - for years now and up until three weeks ago there was ample availability throughout the year. Why do SQ and NZ participate in an alliance if they are not prepared to offer rewards to partner members?

Yes, NZ have never had much availability for award seats on their flagship North America- New Zealand routes - they have no trouble selling these - but trans-Tasman is different - no point in protecting premium space on a 3 to 4 hour flight.

No point in frequent flyers earning miles if they can't spend them.

Search this Thread