Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Missing "eligible for complimentary premier upgrade" icon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Old IT issues appear to have been resolved. May still happen if a segment is not full synced such as after a change.

Some suggestions that have worked in the past are
-- try changing seat assignment
-- try emailing the itin to your self
-- try removing and re-entering FF account ( cannot do online, need to call or do at the airport)
-- remove / re-entering TTN on the reservation
The intent of all of these is to cause a refresh of the reservation, restoring the missing CPU flag

Some other reasons for no CPU flag or eligibility are
-- Two or more non-elites on the PNR
-- Lapchild on PNR, see United Website Not Showing Upgrade Option for Booked Itineraries (with lap child)
-- Basic Economy fare
-- Not an eligible flight - see MileagePlus upgrade regions and eligible fares
Print Wikipost

Missing "eligible for complimentary premier upgrade" icon?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by linsj
Is ORD-HNL not eligible for CPU? I'm gold, checked in, and not on upgrade list. Although I forgot I should have been on the list yesterday, I was surprised my name's not there after checking in this morning.
ORD/IAH/EWR/DEN/IAD-Hawaii are not CPU-eligible. Enjoy 10-across coach😮
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

ORD/IAH/EWR/DEN/IAD-Hawaii are not CPU-eligible. Enjoy 10-across coach😮
I'll have to rethink the route on future trips.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gold upgrades much harder to get West Coast - Hawaii than years ago (w/ reduction of 753 flights, elimination of domestic-configuration 752s, increase in 737s, and better F fares). I'd advise careful consideration before adding a stopover if the primary reason is upgrade potential. The primary reason should be avoidance of 10-across coach.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UGs to Hawaii fail for 1Ks using upgrade certificates. I would pick routes that make the most sense in Y+ and get your hand on some UG certs to play the lottery.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:16 am

Hello all. This may be the right thread to ask the following question:
I have one US domestic reservation (ATL-IAH booked in "K" Class,...not Basic Econ)....in which I do not see the "CPU eligible" icon on Desktop or on the App. (the flight is still several weeks away).
However, on my other domestic flights...I see the "CPU eligible" icon....

IS this just a UA InfoTech quirk? or should I call UA? Nothing will happen if I didn't get the upgrade on that short flight...but still wanted to check.

ETA = Please note that this segment had a schedule change due to which UA changed me over to another flight on the same day.......I vaguely remember that the reservation showed "CPU eligible" before the schedule change and flight change happened.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 2018 at 10:26 am Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
.......in which I do not see the "CPU eligible" icon on Desktop or on the App. (the flight is still several weeks away).
However, on my other domestic flights...I see the "CPU eligible" icon.... ....
Assuming a segment is CPU eligible, then this is usually a sign the segment is not fully synced which can happen after a change.

The thread's wiki has a couple suggestions to try
Some suggestions that have worked in the past are
-- try changing seat assignment
-- try emailing the itin to your self
or try call and ask for the agent to check

Reports suggest most of the time, this lack of indicator does not impact the real eligibility for CPU.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello all. This may be the right thread to ask the following question:
I have one US domestic reservation (ATL-IAH booked in "K" Class,...not Basic Econ)....in which I do not see the "CPU eligible" icon on Desktop or on the App. (the flight is still several weeks away).
However, on my other domestic flights...I see the "CPU eligible" icon....

IS this just a UA InfoTech quirk? or should I call UA? Nothing will happen if I didn't get the upgrade on that short flight...but still wanted to check.

ETA = Please note that this segment had a schedule change due to which UA changed me over to another flight on the same day.......I vaguely remember that the reservation showed "CPU eligible" before the schedule change and flight change happened.
I thinj its just the technical thing, it wont effect your eligibility of CPU.

I had the same thing happened for my STL-SFO-SAN flight after I accepted the new departure time. 20 days after it first occured, the icon just came back
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by weiwunokenan
I thinj its just the technical thing, it wont effect your eligibility of CPU.

I had the same thing happened for my STL-SFO-SAN flight after I accepted the new departure time. 20 days after it first occured, the icon just came back
Personally I would call as I don't trust the system. This has happened to me several times over the past few years. Yes, indeed sometimes the icon suddenly just appears but I always call if I still don't see at T72hrs.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Continental
I was missing the upgrade icon in an itinerary for next week. Called the 1K line...they could not figure out why and said that it is ok.
Just changed my seat as suggested, and now it shows up!
Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:15 pm

Thank you all! Changing the seat helped ! The CPU thingy came back instantly!
thanks all.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:47 pm

Premier Gold Flying With Companion - Why Doesn't Reservation Say Upgrade Eligible

After researched this on the website and talking to a UA Premier rep and a UA web rep, I am confused. Thus, I cometh to you good people! :-)

SITUATION: Me (UA gold) and my companion (no UA status) are ticketed in one reservation from SAN-IAH-MCI in Economy (G fare class) for later this month. I bought it this evening.

QUESTION: Why does the reservation NOT state "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Eligible" as my reservations normally do?

QUESTION: Also, will my companion be upgraded with the same priority as me?

UA WEB SERVICES REP SAID:

1) I would be upgraded as a Gold member, while my companion would be upgraded not as a Gold member but as a Gold companion after all other premier members have been processes.

2) I needed to split the reservation before check in or else my upgrade wouldn't be processed at all because they used to automatically split the record to process the member's upgrade but they don't do that anymore.

PREMIER REP SAID (5 minutes later)

1) I He couldn't answer why my reservation didn't say "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Eligible."

2) He did tell me that upon check-in at 24 hours the computer would ask me if I wanted to split the reservation. He told me I should agree to that as it would give myself and my companion the best chance at upgrading.

3) He also told me that my companion would be prioritized as a Gold member with me and clear before any Silver members.

4) Since Gold can be processed for a CPU up to 48 hours I asked if I should ask UA to divide the record several days before flight so that we could clear for CPUs if available. He said that I should not divide the record because right now my traveling companion had my "benefits," and he implied that she wouldn't be processed for a CPU as a Gold if I divided the record before check in time.

5) He also said that if UA did divide the reservation they would allow companion to keep bag and seat selection Gold privileges (but not upgrade privileges? makes no sense)

Between the website and what the two UA employees told me, I am confused. Can anyone address the accuracy or fallacy of the questions and points listed above? THANKS!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The arrow is just a display thing, it’s suposed to show when the reservation is eligible, but doesn’t always. Haven’t seen many complaints on here recently, but there used to be a ton, so I’d guess it’s generally working better than in the past (or people got used to it). It was fairly buggy at one point

The arrow row doesn’t really indicate you are on the list, but basically, is just supposed to display one when you meet the requirements.

Over the years, I’ve found sometimes, but not always, it can take a couple to a few hours (after ticketing) to appear. If you are not ticketed, it won’t appear.

Ive also seen some weird behavior where it will appear normally, than disappear, then come back again (all this if reloading). One particular reservation I remember it not appearing, on the app, then reloading the reservation brought it back, then reloading it had it disappear, etc. I sssume each time it loss, it evaluated whether it should be flagged, and for whatever reason, missed it sometimes.
As for a gold and a (single) non-status companion, the way it typically works is this: if there are 2 seats available beginning at your window, or any other time before you check in, you’ll both clear. When you go to check inc you’ll be asked if you want to go on the upgrade list, and clicking yes will split the reservation. You’ll go on the upgrade standby list (cleared at the gate). However, based on all sorts of experience, it seems that the companion, if no status or not the same as the highest status person on the reservation, will go to the bottom of the list for that Status. So in your case, companion will go below all actual golds on the list. That could be right below you, or could leave several people in between. Had this happen several tomes in years when I was a different status than the waifs, and it is throughly annoying, and IMO, not how I think the wording on the website describes the priority.

If you have more than 1 non-status companion, and you’re the only elite, you aren’t eligible for the upgrade in advance process, unless you want to split the reservation so it’s just you and the non-status companion. If you don’t split, you can still chose one person at check in to be your companion for the list, but reservations will split at that time.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA MP
Two possibilities:
The reservation has not finished processing. The purchase may be confirmed, but the ticket is not processed yet, this sometimes takes time, maybe even a couple of days.
Your MP# is not on the reservation. Double check your traveler information and make sure your FF number is on the reservation.
(I'm honestly assuming its none of the above though since you verified with an agent and nothing was raised )

Your companion will keep the E+ selection (provided you already chose their E+ prior to splitting) and your companion would get baggage privileges when split, assuming you check in with them and let a agent know so they can waive the fee.
Your companion will clear with the same priority as you. If you are on the same PNR and next in line, but only one seat exits, next gold will get it, if two exists, both you and your companion will clear.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
All of what he said.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's a tough route (SAN-IAH) for even a 1k to clear, much less a Plat or Gold. If you really want F, did you price the P fare in that market? That's likely your best bet. I'd check the flight options in your res and see what the upgrade offer is and also just do a standard fare search for your flight as you can cancel your original booking within 24 hours of purchase.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
...And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's a tough route (SAN-IAH) for even a 1k to clear, much less a Plat or Gold...
I agree. This 1K has failed to clear a CPU three times between SAN and IAH and I was not even in the "maybe-it'll-happen" top two or so on the waitlist. I'd mentally prepare for E+ seats and be pleasantly surprised if it happens.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.