Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Website Not Showing Upgrade Option for Booked Itineraries (with lap child)

United Website Not Showing Upgrade Option for Booked Itineraries (with lap child)

Old Dec 22, 13, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, I have noticed that when I look at my reservations on United's website, it no longer shows the button to request an upgrade using regionals or miles, even though when I call them they confirm upgrades are available and are able to clear the request.

The only thing different for me from past times is that these reservations include a lap child. Not sure if that is messing things up or not but I thought I'd see if anyone else had any experience of this sort, with or without a lap child.

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 14, 8:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance
'Online upgrade not available'

Interesting situation. I have SFO-EWR and EWR-HKG-SIN flights. For SFO-EWR RPU was applied and got whitelisted.

Now there is no way to apply any other instrument - neither GPU or miles+cash for remaining two segments vial online. Those segments have messages 'Your Regional Premier Upgrade is restricted...' and subj.

Do I understand correctly that applying RPU to the first segment caused other two got blocked for online upgrade and the only option is to call and manually apply instrument?
Old Jan 21, 14, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Do I understand correctly that applying RPU to the first segment caused other two got blocked for online upgrade and the only option is to call and manually apply instrument?
Yes.

And the cash+miles or GPU would cover the whole trip, including the SFO-EWR from what it sounds like.
Old Jan 21, 14, 8:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Yes.

And the cash+miles or GPU would cover the whole trip, including the SFO-EWR from what it sounds like.
And to cancel the waitlisted RPU do I have to call?
Old Jan 21, 14, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
And to cancel the waitlisted RPU do I have to call?
Yes - you do have to call. If you're replacing that with a GPU for all of the flights in one direction, you'll get the GPU back if the overwater segment does not clear, even if the shorter segment(s) d.
Old Aug 10, 14, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

No Redeem Upgrade Button if Child on Reservation

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Whether I have my child in a separate seat or on my lap as a lap child, when I go to look at the reservation and try to request an upgrade with miles or regional upgrades, it will not show the button to upgrade at all. My spouse has bought tickets for the same flights we are on but on a separate reservation and the button shows up for him, and it shows up for me if I buy the ticket without saying I have a lap child.

When I've asked United Reservations they play dumb and say that they know nothing about it, but it seems like a conscious effort to keep children out of the front cabin (if you call they will redeem the upgrades).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 14 at 12:26 pm Reason: merged with your Dec 2013 thread to create a "bump"
Old Aug 10, 14, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My experience is that when I have a lap child, the upgrade button is gone, and I have to call to upgrade. If I have a child in her own seat, the upgrade button is there.
Old Aug 10, 14, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Maybe always blocked if child under 2?

I have had the problem whether the child is in lap or in own seat but maybe it is because she is under 2 years old?
Old Aug 10, 14, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
From my experience over the past ~22 months, you won't get an option to do anything online if you have a lap infant.

In addition, get used to horrible experiences on the ground and in the air with UA, when traveling with an infant. On every itin, we've had to deal with the kiosk asking us if we have an infant, even though they have always been added to the record before leaving, and if we're on a solely international flight (when they are required to have a ticket), it still asks. Awful.

In addition, i've already complained twice to the DOT for a failure to refund miles/dollars for a cancelled ticket, and I will file yet another set of complaints tomorrow morning for UA not refunding a simple DTW-IAD, no complex routing, no international trip, no nothing...but since we had a lap infant, UA can't figure out how to deal with it.

Quite simply, UA is easily the worst airline i've dealt with when having an infant (our daughter is almost ~22 months old, and we've got another on its way), and we are both getting away from UA entirely, for this reason and so much more...

Call in to UA, and if you are lucky, you'll get a somewhat competent agent on the first try, otherwise, it's in your best interest to hang up and call again...otherwise, you'll spend a long time on the phone for the *fake* elite agents that have no clue what real world problems are.

-jeremy
Old Aug 11, 14, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by peter-seattle View Post
I have had the problem whether the child is in lap or in own seat but maybe it is because she is under 2 years old?
That could very well be the problem. Try to select the "age 2-4" category when you do the booking. They ask for the date of birth, so they will know the correct age for the child.
Old Aug 11, 14, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by tagflyer View Post
That could very well be the problem. Try to select the "age 2-4" category when you do the booking. They ask for the date of birth, so they will know the correct age for the child.
I can't say for sure this is still true - but when I travelled with our kids as lap child's years ago I was not allowed to sit in first domestically as in case of emergency there were not enough oxygen masks in the overhead compartment to accommodate the number of passengers below - therefore economy it was.....
Old Aug 11, 14, 8:23 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
I can't say for sure this is still true - but when I travelled with our kids as lap child's years ago I was not allowed to sit in first domestically as in case of emergency there were not enough oxygen masks in the overhead compartment to accommodate the number of passengers below - therefore economy it was.....
I'm betting that's it. I had no idea that there were more oxygen masks over some of the coach rows than other rows, until I flew an RJ from ORD-xxx (no, it wasn't MIA ) and the FA made all pax with kids in arms on the single-seat side move to the two-seat side. This was the reason he gave. I felt a little silly not having realized that wherever there were an infant-in-arms, there had to be an extra mask... Incidentally, I've never seen a plane with this many infants-in-arms. It was truly mind-boggling. When the door opened at xxx, the FA told the GA, who welcomed "your kids and you" to xxx.
Old Aug 11, 14, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA View Post
I'm betting that's it. I had no idea that there were more oxygen masks over some of the coach rows than other rows, until I flew an RJ from ORD-xxx (no, it wasn't MIA ) and the FA made all pax with kids in arms on the single-seat side move to the two-seat side. This was the reason he gave. I felt a little silly not having realized that wherever there were an infant-in-arms, there had to be an extra mask... Incidentally, I've never seen a plane with this many infants-in-arms. It was truly mind-boggling. When the door opened at xxx, the FA told the GA, who welcomed "your kids and you" to xxx.
Some of the RJs only have three masks in certain rows as well. I can't remember exactly which planes and which rows, but you could probably find it on here using google search.
Old Aug 11, 14, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tagflyer View Post
Not only would I not trust UA (or .sux) if this was correct, but this isn't what you are doing. Since when you travel with a child under the age of two, you have the OPTION of booking a seat for him/her or not, by doing this (selecting 2-4 years old), you are ensuring that you are paying for a seat for them.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
I've never been denied F or C travel with my daughter and wife. We've traveled in F on a few CPUs (very few, even as a 1K) and CR-1s, but with our SWUs, we've taken some domestic F segments in addition to the Int'l C segments. I've never had an issue with our lap infant in a 'premium' cabin...in fact, I believe it's generally easier to find seats there with the full complement of oxygen masks (3 per side), due to them being 'standard' for the Y rows (to have 3 masks per side/per row)...But then again, I've only traveled on UA, SQ and TG in premium cabins since my daughter was born in October 2012.

Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
Some of the RJs only have three masks in certain rows as well. I can't remember exactly which planes and which rows, but you could probably find it on here using google search.
This is correct. I almost guarantee that I've sat in rows that I shouldn't have with my wife & daughter due to FAs incompetence, but I'm happy to say that I've never needed the oxygen masks. That said, we had a surprisingly knowledgeable FA on our last DCA-EWR segment and he moved us from Row 11 to Row 12 (I believe) of an E-145 because they had the 3 masks on the DF side of the plane...he mentioned a few rows that had 3 masks, but I believe there were only three rows...so if there were more than 3 lap infants, i'm not sure what UA would do - IDB people?

-jeremy
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kmfdm91 View Post
This is correct. I almost guarantee that I've sat in rows that I shouldn't have with my wife & daughter due to FAs incompetence, but I'm happy to say that I've never needed the oxygen masks. That said, we had a surprisingly knowledgeable FA on our last DCA-EWR segment and he moved us from Row 11 to Row 12 (I believe) of an E-145 because they had the 3 masks on the DF side of the plane...he mentioned a few rows that had 3 masks, but I believe there were only three rows...so if there were more than 3 lap infants, i'm not sure what UA would do - IDB people?

-jeremy
RJ-145 + >3 infants = flight of misery x 3.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: