Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really? No power on SFO-SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by veeRob
Considered locking myself in the bathroom for an hour to charge my devices.
I carry one of these and love it. I'd strongly consider getting one if you travel long-haul much

uNu Enerpak

Originally Posted by SFO_Chad
FT is starting to suck because of the negative people around these parts.

Spend your negative energy in OMNI/PR (assuming you can even access it).
Amen.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by SittingUpFront
Your route:
Leaving LAS shortly after 6 pm on UA, via SFO and SYD, arrive in MEL at 10:25 am.

Non-UA alternatives:
On AA/QF, via LAX, leave at 7 pm, arrive at MEL at 9:30 am.
On UA/NZ, via LAX and AKL, leave LAS shortly after 6 pm, arrive MEL at 10:20 am.
On DL, via LAX to SYD, leave LAS at 8:30 pm, get cheap ticket SYD-MEL.
On DL/VA, via LAX, leave LAS at 7:15 pm, arrive MEL at 9:15 am

Please do tell how your work schedule "dictated" that you needed to take the UA flights.
It was a one-way, as I have continued on to South Africa. My bosses were on the United flights, and they did not want me to fly a different route as we might have gotten separated.

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I carry one of these and love it. I'd strongly consider getting one if you travel long-haul much

uNu Enerpak
Thanks, I do have a device like this. Unfortunately it's not much use when my laptop battery or tablet runs out, as they both only charge with an A/C charger. Works great for charging my Android phone & iPod touch, though.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
It was a one-way, as I have continued on to South Africa. My bosses were on the United flights, and they did not want me to fly a different route as we might have gotten separated.
I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Next time, tell your bosses to choose a different airline.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks, I do have a device like this. Unfortunately it's not much use when my laptop battery or tablet runs out, as they both only charge with an A/C charger. Works great for charging my Android phone & iPod touch, though.
That's why I recommend this one - it will charge a tablet. It has 2.1a output. Many of the smaller batteries only output 500-750ma.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Next time, tell your bosses to choose a different airline.
Yes, we all agreed we'd be flying Air New Zealand next time for our Star Alliance benefits.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Poster

That's why I recommend this one - it will charge a tablet. It has 2.1a output. Many of the smaller batteries only output 500-750ma.
That's not the issue. My device also has a 2.1a output, as well as a 1a output. The problem is that the tablet's charging cable is not USB, it's an A/C power cable.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Why didn't you bother checking before the flight?
It surely would have taken less time than starting this thread, don't you think?

There is no reason why you should have been surprised by the lack of in-flight power, especially since you are familiar with Seat Guru and Seat Expert.

Being "forced" to be on a flight is not excuse for laziness. @:-)
About as much time as you continually posting to beat the OP up for...what reason exactly? Give it a rest already.

Though I have always known it, I do also find it "surprising" (or maybe "disappointing") that UA's Y offering is still so poor in the back of the 747.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:24 am

That's not the issue. My device also has a 2.1a output, as well as a 1a output. The problem is that the tablet's charging cable is not USB, it's an A/C power cable.
Oh, interesting. Most of the tablets out there (Samsung, Apple, Asus, Toshiba, Acer) either use a micro USB on the device or charge through a cable with a USB at the other end. I wasn't aware there were any that didn't (though I suppose I didn't consider the Windows/Intel type tablets)
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Oh, interesting. Most of the tablets out there (Samsung, Apple, Asus, Toshiba, Acer) either use a micro USB on the device or charge through a cable with a USB at the other end. I wasn't aware there were any that didn't (though I suppose I didn't consider the Windows/Intel type tablets)
Yeah I didn't realize it would be a problem when I got it on Black Friday in 2011. It's an Acer Iconia A500. Not sure if they've "fixed" it in the newer models, but I am very tempted to sell it and buy a different tablet for this reason.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:01 am

Yeah I didn't realize it would be a problem when I got it on Black Friday in 2011. It's an Acer Iconia A500. Not sure if they've "fixed" it in the newer models, but I am very tempted to sell it and buy a different tablet for this reason.
Check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/NTK-bullet-pul...charging+cable

I'll bet you can throw away the cigarette adapter if you don't want it and just use the USB charging cable with your battery
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Check this out...
Thanks for the link. Too bad a ton of the reviews say it doesn't work lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.