Wiki Posts
Search

Really? No power on SFO-SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Once upon a time...
Really? No power on SFO-SYD?

Color me surprised. Just did LAS-SFO-SYD-MEL and had no power on all 3 flights. Is it not an international crime to not have some form of power at the seats on a flight that's >12 hours? I was even in E+ on all 3 flights, but only power in business.

Considered locking myself in the bathroom for an hour to charge my devices.

Or running an extension cord down the plane from an empty business seat.

:/
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Search is always your friend on this hardy topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ght=seat+power
See post post #511 among others
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

I didn't bother looking it up because my work schedule dictated that I needed to take this combination of flights. Was just amazed and wanted to share, that's all.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Most international flights don't have power in whY...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Most of those 747s have been around for around 15-20 years without power so nothing new. Supposedly, by the end of the year they'll all have wifi and power though.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by veeRob
They don't work either...

Seriously, you should have done your research, there has never been power on the 747's in Y/E+

Complaining about it on FT, well that's just dumb.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Color me surprised.

That is what colored me surprised.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by Asuka

Seriously, you should have done your research, there has never been power on the 747's in Y/E+

I read the OP and I don't think he was complaining, he was taken back and surprised that there was no power. Not everyone researches every little facet and assuming they should is just dumb.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
I read the OP and I don't think he was complaining, he was taken back and surprised that there was no power. Not everyone researches every little facet and assuming they should is just dumb.
Agreed. But it's not the lack of power that is surprising. Most airlines don't have power. It's the lack of AVOD and the use of overhead screens that's the real shocker. There can be few first world airlines with such rudimentary facilities - and even many third world airlines are ahead of UA on this one.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Color me surprised. Just did LAS-SFO-SYD-MEL and had no power on all 3 flights. Is it not an international crime to not have some form of power at the seats on a flight that's >12 hours? I was even in E+ on all 3 flights, but only power in business.

You should try Delta + Virgin Australia. AVOD in every seat and 110v power under the seat at
economy comfort section. Other economy seat equip usb port for people to charge their electronic devices.
I didn't have chance to compare the different 747 product UA v.s. DL until someone said elites are over entitled.
I am glad that I have the freedom now and I love to share what I have found.

Delta Economy Seat (747...they use 777LR to SYD and it's even better)

The food in DL's economy class

Last edited by pigx5; Feb 1, 2013 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:06 am
Original Poster

I guess it's nothing new to you guys, but it was new to me. I fly international two or three times a year, and this is my first time ever not having power ports that I can remember. I believe the only other time I flew United internationally was last year from EWR-MUC, and there was power in economy on that flight.

I must be dumb for sharing my flying experience on a message board called FlyerTalk. What was I thinking?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by Asuka

yep. because nobody ever complains about anything on FT...
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:14 am
Suspended

I guess it's nothing new to you guys, but it was new to me. I fly international two or three times a year, and this is my first time ever not having power ports that I can remember. I believe the only other time I flew United internationally was last year from EWR-MUC, and there was power in economy on that flight.

I must be dumb for sharing my flying experience on a message board called FlyerTalk. What was I thinking?
dumb not , but what were you thinking by not having at least checked Seat Guru; http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._747-400_B.php

and you would have had all the info you needed to make a pleasant flight as best as you could = no Surprises
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
what were you thinking by not having at least checked Seat Guru = no Surprises
I prefer Seat Expert as I've noticed some discrepancies between SE & SG, and SE has been more correct in the past. Like I said before, my work schedule dictated that this specific flight be taken, so there's nothing I could have done. Looking up the seat map would have just surprised me before the flight.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)

I agree that the comment was uncalled for! And the search facility on this forum is very basic and hardly "your friend".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.