Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really? No power on SFO-SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
Most international flights don't have power in whY...
I don't believe this is true anymore.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craz
dumb not , but what were you thinking by not having at least checked Seat Guru; http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._747-400_B.php

and you would have had all the info you needed to make a pleasant flight as best as you could = no Surprises
Ha!
SG is not all that. I was looking at just that page the other day and the hover-overs were noting that there's no in-seat power on the upper deck in C( I refuse to call it BF). Which is just crazy and wrong.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't believe this is true anymore.
As of 10 months ago, TG didn't have power in Y on their LAX<->BKK A346.
I was pleasantly surprised to find both USB and 110 power in my seatback on a recent FRA->YYC flight on AC.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by StingWest
I agree that the comment was uncalled for! And the search facility on this forum is very basic and hardly "your friend".
No it was called for, if veeRob had done his/her research, he/she would have known that none of 747's have power in Y since day one.

He/she is a person that takes international flights, so they should have known to look it up on seat guru as a min, or on the United website.

Are we now defending those who can not use the Inter-web-thingy for themselves and complain about it?

Sorry no free pass on this one.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
I read the OP and I don't think he was complaining, he was taken back and surprised that there was no power. Not everyone researches every little facet and assuming they should is just dumb.
What is surprising is someone assuming here WOULD be power outlets.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What is surprising is someone assuming here WOULD be power outlets.
It was a complaint, other wise the OP would have posted into one the number of threads about Power/747.

We are talking about a poster with 190+ posts, not a newbie.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by pigx5
You should try Delta + Virgin Australia. AVOD in every seat and 110v power under the seat at
economy comfort section. Other economy seat equip usb port for people to charge their electronic devices.
I didn't have chance to compare the different 747 product UA v.s. DL until someone said elites are over entitled.
I am glad that I have the freedom now and I love to share what I have found.

Delta Economy Seat (747...they use 777LR to SYD and it's even better)

What caught my eye is only 2 seats in the exit row rather than the cramped A/K seat on UA.

Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
As of 10 months ago, TG didn't have power in Y on their LAX<->BKK A346.
That was the A345 and they are currently sitting dormant on the DMK tarmac.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Once upon a time...
Guys, I apologize if I crossed some sort of line on FT.

I wasn't complaining, I was just surprised and wanted to share with fellow travelers. Some of you that fly more often internationally would have known that United's 747's don't have power. I didn't.

I am a frequent flyer, but not internationally. I've gotten lucky in the past, I guess, in having power on all of my international flights. It it really so hard to understand that given my past experiences that I was surprised? I apologize for being surprised and for deciding to share it here. In the future, I will not post my thoughts or opinions without doing my QED reports first, ok?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by veeRob
Guys, I apologize if I crossed some sort of line on FT.
Like any gathering place, there are those who are tolerant of folks who aren't as type-A as they are and there are those who are not. Don't let it bug you or get you down. I don't condemn you. Neither do I condemn someone who is bothered by your post. At any rate, no one should care about what I think of them anyway.

am a frequent flyer, but not internationally. I've gotten lucky in the past, I guess, in having power on all of my international flights. It it really so hard to understand that given my past experiences that I was surprised? I apologize for being surprised and for deciding to share it here.
I took a flight to Hawaii in December and didn't notice 'til the night before that my equipment had EmPower instead of 110 power. I searched but couldn't find my EmPower adapter. It surprised me that that particular piece of equipment had EmPower in a GlobalFirst suite. I was also surprised that it had 9mm tape players.

I did post about it in some thread but I worded it carefully to ensure that I wouldn't get jumped on by someone who would be indignant at my lack of preparation and any assumed snideness of my thinking about 9mm tape players.

In the future, I will not post my thoughts or opinions without doing my QED reports first, ok?
Don't let it bug you. OTOH, I do think that your use of "Really?" in the title implied that you were complaining rather than just surprised. That doesn't bother me though. There is always a lot to complain about here.

At least you're not complaining about the composition of the board of directors or fleet purchasing decisions. That would be an exhibition of total conceit.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
I wasn't complaining, I was just surprised and wanted to share with fellow travelers. Some of you that fly more often internationally would have known that United's 747's don't have power. I didn't.
I prefer Seat Expert as I've noticed some discrepancies between SE & SG, and SE has been more correct in the past.
Considering your preference for Seat Expert, I am surprised that you were surprised. Did you check Seat Expert before your flight?

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by pigx5
You should try Delta + Virgin Australia. AVOD in every seat and 110v power under the seat at
economy comfort section. Other economy seat equip usb port for people to charge their electronic devices.
I didn't have chance to compare the different 747 product UA v.s. DL until someone said elites are over entitled.
I am glad that I have the freedom now and I love to share what I have found.

Delta Economy Seat (747...they use 777LR to SYD and it's even better)

The food in DL's economy class

Wow! that food looks gross! Not much better than United....try flying delta 767s to Europe...they are bad!!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by SittingUpFront
Considering your preference for Seat Expert, I am surprised that you were surprised. Did you check Seat Expert before your flight?
I am surprised that you are surprised since I already explained twice that I didn't bother checking since I was forced to be on this flight. Did you check my two posts about that before posting a screenshot?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:31 am
Suspended

I am surprised that you are surprised since I already explained twice that I didn't bother checking since I was forced to be on this flight. Did you check my two posts about that before posting a screenshot?
Why didn't you bother checking before the flight?
It surely would have taken less time than starting this thread, don't you think?

There is no reason why you should have been surprised by the lack of in-flight power, especially since you are familiar with Seat Guru and Seat Expert.

Being "forced" to be on a flight is not excuse for laziness. @:-)
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:57 am
Suspended

I didn't bother looking it up because my work schedule dictated that I needed to take this combination of flights.
Your route:
Leaving LAS shortly after 6 pm on UA, via SFO and SYD, arrive in MEL at 10:25 am.

Non-UA alternatives:
On AA/QF, via LAX, leave at 7 pm, arrive at MEL at 9:30 am.
On UA/NZ, via LAX and AKL, leave LAS shortly after 6 pm, arrive MEL at 10:20 am.
On DL, via LAX to SYD, leave LAS at 8:30 pm, get cheap ticket SYD-MEL.
On DL/VA, via LAX, leave LAS at 7:15 pm, arrive MEL at 9:15 am

Please do tell how your work schedule "dictated" that you needed to take the UA flights.

On the return (assuming that you are flying back), UA leaves MEL at 11:55 am, via SYD and LAX/SFO, arrives in LAS around 3 pm.
QF/AA leaves MEL at 10:20 am, via LAX, arrives LAS at 10:45 am, or you can leave at 11:30 am, via SYD and LAX, and arrive LAS shortly after 4 pm.
NZ/UA leaves MEL at 11:45 am, via AKL and LAX, arrives LAS shortly after 4 pm.
VA/DL, via LAX, leaving MEL at 12:15 pm, arriving LAS at 10:43 am

Again, would your work schedule "dictate" that you fly with UA on the return?

Last edited by SittingUpFront; Feb 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Most international flights don't have power in whY...
I fly internationally to Canada weekly and 100% of my flights on AC have power. That's gotta bump up the stats ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.