Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Even with announcements from the GA, some people in groups 1 and 2 ended up standing in line for about an hour before boarding actually commenced.
Lolz. Who are these people?

It's important to shame them, btw. That can be accomplished by loudly talking to a travel companion about how silly they're being, or taking a picture of the line and tweeting it or posting it here.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:23 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Lolz. Who are these people?

It's important to shame them, btw. That can be accomplished by loudly talking to a travel companion about how silly they're being, or taking a picture of the line and tweeting it or posting it here.
Shame them? Why?

I assume they're not doing anything to anyone else. It's their business if they want to stand there for an hour before boarding.

Taking a picture or posting it here? That's just downright nasty and rude.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Shame them? Why?

I assume they're not doing anything to anyone else. It's their business if they want to stand there for an hour before boarding.

As I've mentioned before, I have a special dislike for people who stand in line for no reason. They get in the way, they give the airport an air of stressed out misery, etc.

A major reason for bypass boarding for Groups 1 and 2 is to avoid this stupidity.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Shame them? Why?

The person that blocked me from boarding (this was at EWR) was about 10th in line in the Group 1 pre-pre-pre-boarding queue. He stood in front of me and said "Where do you think you are going?" I explained the pre-boarding announcement, showed him my BP and he said "We are all Global Services. We are all going to a Global destination (we were headed to NRT) and we are ALL Group 1." I didn't bother arguing with him but when we arrived into NRT and the GS rep came on the plane to get me, I pointed at the guy and said "He told me that he was Global Services too!!! Shouldn't he come with us?" The GS rep said very loudly "No, he isn't. You are my only Global Service customer on board." I waved goodbye to the dude - and everyone laughed at him...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:15 am
Suspended

Wait. Are you new to FT?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:36 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by meducate
The person that blocked me from boarding (this was at EWR) was about 10th in line in the Group 1 pre-pre-pre-boarding queue. He stood in front of me and said "Where do you think you are going?" I explained the pre-boarding announcement, showed him my BP and he said "We are all Global Services. We are all going to a Global destination (we were headed to NRT) and we are ALL Group 1." I didn't bother arguing with him but when we arrived into NRT and the GS rep came on the plane to get me, I pointed at the guy and said "He told me that he was Global Services too!!! Shouldn't he come with us?" The GS rep said very loudly "No, he isn't. You are my only Global Service customer on board." I waved goodbye to the dude - and everyone laughed at him...
That's why I always wait to the side and approach not using the line. Nobody to pass, quicker and no explanations needed.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
That's why I always wait to the side and approach not using the line. Nobody to pass, quicker and no explanations needed.
That's my approach now, my friend! Live and learn...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by meducate
That's my approach now, my friend! Live and learn...
Only way to go and the GA's-for the most part- know the drill
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It's their business if they want to stand there for an hour before boarding.
Sometimes that's true, but I have to think it becomes airline/airport "business" when the line blocks the corridor, particularly if boarding hasn't yet commenced and the line just keeps growing.. This happens frequently at ORD, with these people waiting for their flights blocking other passengers, carts, wheelchairs, and other employees trying to do their jobs. I would also think there is some sort of fire code addressing this.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:05 pm
Suspended

It's pretty hard to come up with a rule that restricts people from standing where they want. I guess you could call it "loitering" but that seems like quite a stretch.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Sometimes that's true, but I have to think it becomes airline/airport "business" when the line blocks the corridor, particularly if boarding hasn't yet commenced and the line just keeps growing.. This happens frequently at ORD, with these people waiting for their flights blocking other passengers, carts, wheelchairs, and other employees trying to do their jobs. I would also think there is some sort of fire code addressing this.
The situation is far worse at IAD, especially with the evening international departures.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People who get so upset that other people are standing in a line need to find some way to reduce the stress in their lives. Who cares if someone is standing in line an hour before the flight? If that bugs you go somewhere where you can't see them. There are better things in life than getting irked/stressed/whatever because someone decides they want to stand in a line.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
People who get so upset that other people are standing in a line need to find some way to reduce the stress in their lives. Who cares if someone is standing in line an hour before the flight? If that bugs you go somewhere where you can't see them. There are better things in life than getting irked/stressed/whatever because someone decides they want to stand in a line.
People who stand in line for long periods of time need to find some way to reduce the insatiable appetite for order and control that their need to uselessly stand in line reflects.

I certainly do not think I'm the little ball of stress in this scenario.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:46 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by Baze
^
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I certainly do not think I'm the little ball of stress in this scenario.
What is a different way to say 'control freak'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.