Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by raehl311
Burned a RPU on a friend flying to San Diego today. While she's not an infrequent traveler, she's shy of Silver and looks like the 22-year-old college student she is; went to board in Denver and the agent attempted to turn her away from boarding in Group 1.

So at least they're TRYING to enforce the boarding zones, although they should probably actually look at the boarding pass first.
Was she upgraded?

If she was in F, then she should be in Group 1.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by raehl311
Burned a RPU on a friend flying to San Diego today. While she's not an infrequent traveler, she's shy of Silver and looks like the 22-year-old college student she is; went to board in Denver and the agent attempted to turn her away from boarding in Group 1.

So at least they're TRYING to enforce the boarding zones, although they should probably actually look at the boarding pass first.
Age is always an issue. I am 25 and have been a GS for the past three years and going on my fourth. It happens nearly every other week. At least they are trying though.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:37 pm

Two UA flights last week

1) First flight GA called for 'CO Plat' to board first, then called for boarding group 1

2) Flying back to CDG from ORD was a giant mess. The crowd was actually blocking the moving walkway and it was worse than I ever recall with people seemingly confused about the boarding process. From what I could tell, very few of us were actually in boarding group 1 when I actually managed to make my way through
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by exbayern
Two UA flights last week

1) First flight GA called for 'CO Plat' to board first, then called for boarding group 1
"CO Plat" that's a new one... I've heard GA's say Presidential Platinum and GS from time to time but just plain Plat is way off.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:48 pm

I couldn't tell if it was still former CO hostility, or just a very confused GA, but it seemed to be a very separate and distinct boarding group. As a 1K in F I was held back until Group 1 was called.

I frankly had almost forgotten how bad boarding and the fight for overhead space is on UA flights, and it seems even worse now than I remember. Boarding in Europe may tend to be 'all board at once' but it just seems to be easier and less of a battle.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
I couldn't tell if it was still former CO hostility, or just a very confused GA, but it seemed to be a very separate and distinct boarding group. As a 1K in F I was held back until Group 1 was called.

I frankly had almost forgotten how bad boarding and the fight for overhead space is on UA flights, and it seems even worse now than I remember. Boarding in Europe may tend to be 'all board at once' but it just seems to be easier and less of a battle.
I don't know... I'm really not fond of the UA changes, but after boarding an Air France A380 in J flying CDG-JFK last year... it's like paradise.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:29 pm

I've been flying Blue as a nobody in Economy and it's still easier than UA flights. I don't recall seeing any carry on being checked on any of my intra-Europe flights in the last year - it's the carry on bag situation which leads to the boarding stress on UA, I believe. I wouldn't bother to fight my way to board in Group 1 but it's the only way I can be somewhat assured of a place for my small carry on.

The number of carry on being checked in the end to CDG was frankly astounding. I didn't fly UA much at all in 2012 and it seems like boarding is getting worse and the carry on situation is getting worse, if that were even possible.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Mlife Noir, Hyatt Globalist
Is this really the plan?

Just boarded a 777 in Denver for Chicago, first time with the new boarding process. They split the people into two sides, group 1-2 on the left, groups 3-5 on the right. Two wrinkles:

#1 - TSA agents checking everyone's ids (maybe this is standard now). Definitely slowed things down

#2 - They started the left and right sides in parallel - meaning that group 3 started boarding with group 1. I'm in group 2, which basically put me near the back to board. Is this really the new procedure? Or was this a massive screw-up? It seems like they should use the left/right sides to process groups 1 and 2 first, but what do I know?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Certainly not how it's supposed to be, boarding 3 and 1 at the same time...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by lodo_guy
#1 - TSA agents checking everyone's ids (maybe this is standard now).
It's not....it's part of the "unpredictable" layers of security the TSA tries to implement.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS
The policy states "uniformed" military personnel, but it seems more often than not, the "uniformed" is left off. At DEN today at least 30 people boarded under the broad category. Not one in uniform. Best guess that 1/3 were not military.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
The policy states "uniformed" military personnel, but it seems more often than not, the "uniformed" is left off. At DEN today at least 30 people boarded under the broad category. Not one in uniform. Best guess that 1/3 were not military.
Then the gate agent should be looking at the haircut .

But seriously, I've also heard "military in uniform" plus "military in and out of uniform and if out of uniform, please show your military I/D to the agent while boarding"
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
From a credit card holder.

I am one of those "few people" who has no status with United, but does have their credit card. I rarely travel for business, and take one or two leisure trips a year. I am baffled by this change in the boarding process. I last flew in September, and was happy with being in what was then Group 4. I saw it as entirely reasonable that those with varying levels of status should board before me, as these people did lots more business with the airline than I did. I also thought the boarding process on all four of my segments went smoothly under the old system. Now, I am not looking forward to my next trip in May and having to deal with the scrums that are apparently now part-and-parcel of boarding a United flight. I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be for those who fly regularly. I am (perhaps naively...) hoping that UAInsider comes back sometime soon and lets us know that this misguided decision has been rescinded.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:18 am

Sneak a peek

With the new boarding process in effect since Jan 2013, how many of you find yourselves "sneaking a peek" at your fellow travelers to see what boarding group number they have? Would you also inform them that they should not crowd the boarding area when they have a group number < yours?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
It pays to board last now if traveling without bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.