Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
$0.129 per for 9000 RDM/PQM on an upcoming UAX itinerary.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
select the award you want with a check mark & a "add premier accelerator" offer should appear
Thanks.

0.111 all-in for 45k RDM/PQM.

My next question (since I am new to this all) is WTH would anyone spend $4.5k for these extra miles?? Wouldn't you just fly normally and get those 45k miles in coach with 1/2 the $$$ spent.

Maybe there's an advantage if you fly 1st & Biz only then $4.5k for 45k miles don't seem too bad. Is the accelerator rate the same when buying with those fares?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Premium 1K, AA EXP, Starwood G, Hyatt D
AA if offering 50% bonus until 2-28-2013: 90000 miels for $1650 less than 2c for a mile, you think UA would match that.....?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1k & MM
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Brilliant...

In my case, I could kayak this year to see if it is a strategy that I like.

If I don't like it and decide to stick with UA, I could then buy 2 years of 1K in Jan 2014.

I would only have to buy 95,000 PQM's, because with my MP Signature Visa I receive 5,000 PQM's for $5,000 of spend on UA.com as well.

For those seriously considering going all-in to buy the full 1k, the right credit card is vital to get around the 4 flight qualification rule...

"To qualify for any Premier level, members must fly at least four paid flights operated by United or Copa during a calendar year.*

*Members who hold a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus or Club Credit Card are exempt from the four segment minimum as long as they are the primary Cardmember and their Credit Card account is in good standing at the time of qualification."

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx

---
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by GDaoV
Thanks.

0.111 all-in for 45k RDM/PQM.

My next question (since I am new to this all) is WTH would anyone spend $4.5k for these extra miles?? Wouldn't you just fly normally and get those 45k miles in coach with 1/2 the $$$ spent.

Maybe there's an advantage if you fly 1st & Biz only then $4.5k for 45k miles don't seem too bad. Is the accelerator rate the same when buying with those fares?
There are a lot of people who have neither the time nor inclination to fly 45K miles in coach "just" to get status miles. Certainly, if you have other reasons to fly (leisure or business) then do so.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I've often wondered if you were intent on buying tens of thousands of miles for status if the UA computers were programmed to screw you. Say you bought about 32,000 miles to Hong Kong at +/- 10 cents. Then you go back a few minutes later to buy another 32,000 miles. Would the price still be 10 cents. Or would the price bump up?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hughw
I've often wondered if you were intent on buying tens of thousands of miles for status if the UA computers were programmed to screw you. Say you bought about 32,000 miles to Hong Kong at +/- 10 cents. Then you go back a few minutes later to buy another 32,000 miles. Would the price still be 10 cents. Or would the price bump up?
Yes, I would expect that if you bought 32k PQMs at 10cpm, pricing for your next itinerary's accelerator PQMs would bump up, so you might expect to see your next offer at maybe 15cpm.

I can't speak to the impact that these purchased PQMs have on the pricing, but in my experience, the price being offered has increased as my BIS PQMs have increased throughout the year. My best guess is that the date, your current status, current PQM balance and the quantity of miles in the itinerary are all factored into the accelerator offering and pricing formula.

Last edited by mrjay; Feb 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Roger Wilco
For those seriously considering going all-in to buy the full 1k, the right credit card is vital to get around the 4 flight qualification rule...

"To qualify for any Premier level, members must fly at least four paid flights operated by United or Copa during a calendar year.*

*Members who hold a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus or Club Credit Card are exempt from the four segment minimum as long as they are the primary Cardmember and their Credit Card account is in good standing at the time of qualification."

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx

---
An excellent reminder, thanks!

PQM price has dropped...

Now my itineraries are .10 / PQM (not including EQM).
So far in 2013:

Early January: .085
Since then:
.095 (today)

This is just for PQM's.
Still at 0 BIS on UA for 2013.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
based on last year, cpm is likely to increase.

Last year the pricing for purchased PQMs was strongly based on your YTD PQM total. There were price breaks at 25K, 50K, and 75K.
So in your case the purchased of 32K would have pushed you into a new, higher cpm range. Not enough history yet for this year to tell. Plus there were a number of general prices changes (up and down) throughout the year.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
still .123 today for me
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
So far in 2013:

Early January: .085
Since then:
.095 (today)

This is just for PQM's.
Still at 0 BIS on UA for 2013.
Wow! Offers have been all over the place. Did you purchase some PQMs when they were 8.5cpm?
Perhaps I give UA too much credit with my theory that they would have a somewhat sophisticated offering/pricing engine.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
I bought a substantial slug of PQM/EQM early last month for a total cost of .106 per mile. Immediately after that transaction, all of the offers on various trips I had planned into the future jumped to a total cost of .149/mile. On flights where my spouse was booked on the same PNR, his price was always the same as mine.

When I did OLCI for a trip in late January, the price was about a penny higher.

Recently, the price on my future itineraries on ua.com has dropped to .119 per mile for PQM/EQM combined.

Whatever algorithm UA is using clearly varies by individual based on factors that are hard to discern.

Last edited by sfolawyer; Feb 3, 2013 at 6:10 pm Reason: clarify figures
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
I bought a substantial slug of PQM/EQM early last month for a total cost of .106 per mile. Immediately after that transaction, all of the offers on various trips I had planned into the future jumped to a total cost of .149/mile. On flights where my spouse was booked on the same PNR, his price was always the same as mine.

When I did OLCI for a trip in late January, the price was about a penny higher.

Recently, the price on my future itineraries on ua.com has dropped to .119 per mile for PQM/EQM combined.

Whatever algorithm UA is using clearly varies by individual based on factors that are hard to discern.
In other words, maybe all those who think that because PQM/EQMs are say 10 cents a mile, that they could effectively by Plat for $7,500 are wrong. Once they start buying, even they do it all in the same day, will find that as they but more and get nearer their goal, the price will go up.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In other words, maybe all those who think that because PQM/EQMs are say 10 cents a mile, that they could effectively by Plat for $7,500 are wrong. Once they start buying, even they do it all in the same day, will find that as they but more and get nearer their goal, the price will go up.
unless they make it all in a single purchase (some have reported mileage offers > 50K, so 75k may be possible)
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
unless they make it all in a single purchase (some have reported mileage offers > 50K, so 75k may be possible)
Yep - I was offered 30,000 and 60,000 on EWR-HKG-EWR last year. RDMs at $0.02...can't remember what PQM were priced at, but it was nothing special...same as any other itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.