Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
Overall Points
  • According to planemechanic on post #134, the WiFi system cuts out if the plane is below 10,000 feet and within China (minus HKG).

--

In-flight WiFi Troubleshooting for FAs
On the 747 there are two switches for this system located in the G2 galley, left side, by door 2LH. If both of these switches are NOT illuminated then the system should be operational. The FA's can toggle the system on and off using those switches, there really is no other troubleshooting that can be done in the air.

The switches are inside a compartment, not normally visible unless the compartment door is open.
Print Wikipost

747-400 with WIFI/IFE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This thread was temporarily closed as it had gotten sidetracked by some bickering and other off-topic posts. Going forward, please stay on topic.

Thank you.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 2013 at 4:32 am
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Flew 8481 today on 862 HKG-SFO. Wifi was advertised briefly in the pre-departure FA announcement (although there were no other printed materials onboard I could see), but was not working at any time throughout the flight.

Neither my phone nor my laptop could find any SSIDs at any time throughout the flight (I checked every 1-2 hours or so).

Also seems like there's been no training for the FAs, which I guess is not surprising considering how things are going at United these days.

When I asked, Purser & FA told me that satellite reception was spotty, particularly for the first half of the flight, but to "keep trying." I explained that, IMO, my phone/laptop should be able to see/connect to the onboard access point and captive web server, even if the satellite was intermittent/inoperative. The FAs were nice about it, but basically unable to help, and kept advising me to "keep trying."

I guess it's conceivable that the system is designed to shut down the access point if the satellite drops, but that seems unlikely to me. I figured more likely was that someone had forgotten to turn it on as we passed through 10K feet. I asked the FAs about it, but they insisted that neither they nor the flight deck had any controls whatsoever for the system, and that it all operated automatically.

Or maybe it was just busted

Just curious - has anyone successfully used wifi on 8481? What was your experience with the SSID and connectivity? Were you able to connect your wifi device to the SSID/access point consistently/easily, even when the satellite connectivity dropped?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rudling
Flew 8481 today on 862 HKG-SFO. Wifi was advertised briefly in the pre-departure FA announcement (although there were no other printed materials onboard I could see), but was not working at any time throughout the flight.

Neither my phone nor my laptop could find any SSIDs at any time throughout the flight (I checked every 1-2 hours or so).

Also seems like there's been no training for the FAs, which I guess is not surprising considering how things are going at United these days.

When I asked, Purser & FA told me that satellite reception was spotty, particularly for the first half of the flight, but to "keep trying." I explained that, IMO, my phone/laptop should be able to see/connect to the onboard access point and captive web server, even if the satellite was intermittent/inoperative. The FAs were nice about it, but basically unable to help, and kept advising me to "keep trying."

I guess it's conceivable that the system is designed to shut down the access point if the satellite drops, but that seems unlikely to me. I figured more likely was that someone had forgotten to turn it on as we passed through 10K feet. I asked the FAs about it, but they insisted that neither they nor the flight deck had any controls whatsoever for the system, and that it all operated automatically.

Or maybe it was just busted

Just curious - has anyone successfully used wifi on 8481? What was your experience with the SSID and connectivity? Were you able to connect your wifi device to the SSID/access point consistently/easily, even when the satellite connectivity dropped?
I had it working on my flight but didn't actually use the wifi because I didn't want to waste the money for spotty coverage I was hearing about. I also wanted to sleep for most of the flight anyway. I did talk to the FAs about it and they had no training in terms of troubleshooting issues (unlike the AVOD system) so I'm sure they couldn't really help you of the system needed to be reset or something.

Since I didn't stay on it for long, I didn't experience any dropped signal issues. I was on the upper deck FYI.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
I did talk to the FAs about it and they had no training in terms of troubleshooting issues (unlike the AVOD system) so I'm sure they couldn't really help you of the system needed to be reset or something.
On the 747 there are two switches for this system located in the G2 galley, left side, by door 2LH. If both of these switches are NOT illuminated then the system should be operational. The FA's can toggle the system on and off using those switches, there really is no other troubleshooting that can be done in the air.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Now this would have been good to know! Ironically, the conversations I had with the purser, etc. about this happened mostly by door 2R (and I'm the kind of guy that checks out the various buttons and knobs on the panels while waiting for the lav :-).

Next time I'll look for the lit-up switches by 2L. Thanks for the tip!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Zero interest in pay WiFi internet access.
I am the opposite I could care less about onboard streaming; I'd only pay for Wi-Fi internet access.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Zero interest in pay WiFi internet access.
I am the opposite I could care less about onboard streaming; I'd only pay for Wi-Fi internet access.
The streaming is supposed to be free. So hopefully we can get both ASAP!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by unavaca
The streaming is coming off of on board servers, so bandwidth isn't a concern.
just out of curiosity, how many devices can be connected to a single router before bandwith is impacted?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rudling
Next time I'll look for the lit-up switches by 2L. Thanks for the tip!
The switches are inside a compartment, not normally visible unless the compartment door is open.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Has anyone else had any luck with WiFi on 8481, or any other 744 for that matter?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
I was on UA 870, tail #8404, MEL-SYD-SFO on Friday (March 8). Zero service availability from MEL-SYD. I checked about every hour on SYD-SFO, and every time *except once* it said "internet access is currently not available". The one time it did appear to be up, I didn't actually pay and connect, as I (naively?) thought that meant we were close enough that it would be available for the rest of the flight. Turns out it was not, which really sucked. That one "available" time was maybe 4-5 hours out of Sydney, so maybe somewhere about over Fiji? Anyway, I was quite disappointed to be on the supposedly only "working" aircraft and still no service. I didn't even bother asking the flight attendants about the non-service, assuming they'd just tell me to "try again later" which I was going to do anyway. ;-)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:17 am

UA 895 ORD-HKG 3/18 Wifi

Lucky passengers on UA 895 ORD-HKG on Monday, 18 March! There has been a plane subsitution and they are now scheduled on the 747 with Wi-Fi. Looks like UA is ferry in N104UA Flight 6852 from SFO to be used for Flt 895. I don't know what or where the scheduled 747,(which arrived from HKG to ORD on Sunday) is located or going.

I wish I would be lucky for the HKG flight on Tuesday. The plane I'm on is N120UA and it had MX issuses last week. One day it MX and the flight cancelled, and the next it took off and returned to the SFO for a plane subsitution. Safe Travels!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Darn..I just got off at HKG on UA895 on (departed Sunday). No wifi and one brutal flight in econ+ (GPU didn't clear).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Has anyone else had any luck with WiFi on 8481, or any other 744 for that matter?
I was on #8481, N181UA, on UA 870 SYD-SFO 3/30. WiFi was active the whole flight but never got satellite Internet reception. I checked 4-5 times from about 2 hours out of Sydney until 1.5 hours from SFO.

Snapshot of the WiFi page that I saved on my phone:
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:51 am

On the SIN-HKG-ORD route, I took a picture of the WiFi pricing. It seemed to work between the Alaska region all the way to the Canadian boarder pretty well before cutting in and out again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.