FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   747-400 with WIFI/IFE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1416397-747-400-wifi-ife.html)

uastarflyer Dec 14, 2012 10:45 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 19855336)

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 19844226)
The power issue, i'm not so sure about. I hope they address that as well but that maybe an issue that won't be addressed anytime soon (if ever) as that involves seats to be replaced/modified.

Well, the company has indicated that they are going to put power in. And the in-flight amenities tab says it is coming. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that it will happen.

I wasn't aware of that. Good move

Now if that requires new seats, please consider footrests

edcho Dec 14, 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 19856337)
I wasn't aware of that. Good move

Now if that requires new seats, please consider footrests

I would think they probably would install these seats to offset the weight increase:

http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior...boost-revenue/

ASEFlyer Dec 14, 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 19856455)
I would think they probably would install these seats to offset the weight increase:

http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior...boost-revenue/

they just redid the seats on these aircraft a few years ago...they are actually a fairly padded and comfy economy seat (pitch being another issue). I think the power infrastructure can be added without new seats, probably attached to the support structure behind the calf area.

thomwithanh Dec 19, 2012 9:50 am

IFE finally coming to the 744 in Y?

Checking flight status for somebody today and I noticed this:

Inflight Entertainment:

Premium cabins feature personal on-demand entertainment with movies, television shows, video games and music, and you can also connect your iPod to the LCD monitor. United EconomyŽ features overhead video and audio programming. Or listen to live cockpit communications with air traffic control on Channel 9, a feature that's unique to United. This aircraft will be equipped with satellite Wi-Fi with complimentary wireless streaming content by 2013.
as well as

In-seat power outlets are available in premium cabins. These 110v power outlets accept plugs from the U.S. and other select countries. By the end of 2013, in-seat power outlets are planned to be available on all Boeing 747 aircraft in United Economy.
I don't see why the seatback systems used on the 788 can't be placed on the 744, though if this actually happens on schedule then it's still a major ^.

edcho Dec 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh (Post 19886549)
I don't see why the seatback systems used on the 788 can't be placed on the 744, though if this actually happens on schedule then it's still a major ^.

Cost was a major reason (I forget where I heard that -- maybe on the UADo). They didn't want to spend that much money but atleast put something/some alternative rather than nothing.

planemechanic Dec 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 19889986)
Cost was a major reason (I forget where I heard that -- maybe on the UADo). They didn't want to spend that much money but atleast put something/some alternative rather than nothing.

Weight is the more likely reason. Those systems are heavy and higher weight means less range.

phkc070408 Jan 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Well, I hear that it's been installed on one 747 and a few A-319s. Has anyone had the luxury of getting to use it? If so, how was it?

According to the UA website, they plan on installing WiFi on about 25 aircraft each month. Does anyone know when the mass install process will begin? Also, where will the installs take place?

I've been following https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking and there hasn't been much of a change within the past several weeks.

ual744777sta Jan 27, 2013 12:15 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408 (Post 20131453)
Well, I hear that it's been installed on one 747 and a few A-319s. Has anyone had the luxury of getting to use it? If so, how was it?

According to the UA website, they plan on installing WiFi on about 25 aircraft each month. Does anyone know when the mass install process will begin? Also, where will the installs take place?

I've been following https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking and there hasn't been much of a change within the past several weeks.

I think the upgrades might be delayed because they have to find 787 replacements.

phkc070408 Jan 27, 2013 3:01 am

Eww. That's a bummer. Well, weren't they going to concentrate on the A320's and the A319's first anyway?

planemechanic Jan 27, 2013 5:52 am

I flew on an A319 #4004 the other day and asked about Wifi, the FA didn't know about it but checked and sure enough we had wifi. I used my android phone to check it out, I didn't pay for it through. You can use the UA APP and everything there worked. You also get some flight information with a map of where the airplane is, along with estimated time to arrival.

I will probably check it out on a longer flight.

pigx5 Jan 27, 2013 6:29 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic (Post 19890412)
Weight is the more likely reason. Those systems are heavy and higher weight means less range.

Right.....Those systems are only heavy on United's B747 but not on
DL, CX, JL, BA, SQ.....etc...

From this point of view.....
I guess UA should just get rid of those systems on B757 so those flights can fly between Europe and US without stops.

planemechanic Jan 27, 2013 8:00 am

Originally Posted by pigx5 (Post 20132354)

I guess UA should just get rid of those systems on B757 so those flights can fly between Europe and US without stops.

Weight is a concern with every carrier. Different airframe/engine combinations on different routes can be impacted differently.

uastarflyer Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic (Post 20132707)

Originally Posted by pigx5 (Post 20132354)

Weight is a concern with every carrier. Different airframe/engine combinations on different routes can be impacted differently.

UA has a weight advantage with fewer seats (E+) offset by heavier average passenger.

SQ dropped the 747 last year.

icydog Jan 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I've been reading this thread and I think someone mentioned that 747s don't have inflight entertainment or power outlets. Is that correct? I'm flying to SYD via LAX and I'm worried now.

Also, what's with those seats facing toward the rear if the plane on the 747. There are 3 of us in Biz and we chose 2 rear and 1 front facing seat.

CPMaverick Jan 27, 2013 2:42 pm

I don't want to use my own device. I won't carry a tablet, the laptop is cumbersome, and a phone is too small. During mealtime I like to watch something and very difficult to do that without a mounted screen. Very dissapointing if this is UA's solution.

Originally Posted by lensman (Post 19845306)

Yes, and the complexity of the in-seat controls with hardwired connections to the hardware under the seat in front of you plus mounting of the display/touch sensitive screen. Maintenance of said units, etc.

Most of the new systems do completely away with in-seat controls in favor of touch screen. It's pretty simple installation really, and a touch screen is just fine for Y (always within reach)

Originally Posted by icydog (Post 20134713)
I've been reading this thread and I think someone mentioned that 747s don't have inflight entertainment or power outlets. Is that correct? I'm flying to SYD via LAX and I'm worried now.

Also, what's with those seats facing toward the rear if the plane on the 747. There are 3 of us in Biz and we chose 2 rear and 1 front facing seat.

Nothing in coach. In business you'll be fine. Not sure what you are asking about the seats. Yes some are rearward facing....