FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   747-400 with WIFI/IFE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1416397-747-400-wifi-ife.html)

sbm12 Dec 12, 2012 9:48 am

Originally Posted by kziel777 (Post 19840788)
Internet costs money, the streaming media is free.

Not exactly. The company still licenses the streaming media from the studios.

worldtrav Dec 12, 2012 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer (Post 19839152)
hmm...leading edge is there...probably not getting a paint job since it already has the new livery, maybe they are using the facility to do the wifi mods and need to remove it.

Actually it is still in the old livery, it is there for paint.

FortFun Dec 12, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by kziel777 (Post 19840788)
Internet costs money, the streaming media is free.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 19842963)
Not exactly. The company still licenses the streaming media from the studios.

Guessing s/he meant free to passengers?

ASEFlyer Dec 12, 2012 10:22 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav (Post 19843095)
Actually it is still in the old livery, it is there for paint.

1 Boeing 747-422 N104UA 8404 1998 747 LIE FLAT 12F / 52BF / 70E+ / 240Y AVOD/OVER YES Maybe NO GLOBE AMA 12/11 - Presume Paint

I thought this meant the CO Globe...right?

sbm12 Dec 12, 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by FortFun (Post 19843135)
Guessing s/he meant free to passengers?

:o

Probably.

conglomerate Dec 12, 2012 10:55 am

Just got off flight 862. Did not hear or read anything on boar about wi fi availability.

Mike Jacoubowsky Dec 12, 2012 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sincx (Post 19840019)
That's actually a really smart idea. Why spend $$$ installing screens at every seat when you can just install power plugs and have a wifi media server for the plane? Everyone has a laptop or tablet these days. And the extra fee for internet access is a valuable and profitable service.

It really is an intelligent idea. A further "unbundling" allowing for something to be considered a new feature that you pay extra for, while at the same time saving $$$ in infrastructure. I'm not so sure that wiring a plane for 110v is a trivial undertaking though.

And if we really want to make the cabin laptop & tablet friendly, how about trays that have a cup holder that slides out to the side? Something recessed that holds your drink securely, so there's less danger of spilling on your equipment and more room? Easier to do with tapered cups than cans of soda though (since you'd need a "bottom").

sbm12 Dec 12, 2012 11:01 am

Originally Posted by conglomerate (Post 19843457)
Just got off flight 862. Did not hear or read anything on boar about wi fi availability.

It is only on one plane, not formally in production and that plane isn't flying right now as it is in the paint shop. No real surprise that you didn't hear or read anything about it.

star_world Dec 12, 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by conglomerate (Post 19843457)

This isn't specific to 862. It's one specific aircraft. Even if that aircraft hadn't gone to AMA it's impossible for it to operate flight 862 2 days in a row.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 19843489)
A further "unbundling" allowing for something to be considered a new feature that you pay extra for, while at the same time saving $$$ in infrastructure.

They are explicitly saying that it's something you *don't* pay extra for though (wireless streaming of IFE, that is). And that level of 'unbundling' isn't new, it's just a different delivery mechanism. Prior to the merger UA tried a (failed) experiment of charging for some of the IFE on its 777s. To this day, UA charges for DirecTV.

It definitely does save the expense and weight of LCD screens at every seat, which is a significant number.

ASEFlyer Dec 12, 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 19843520)
It definitely does save the expense and weight of LCD screens at every seat, which is a significant number.

Not to mention the fact that several million dollars (i'd probably peg it somewhere at $3-4 mil) x twenty something frames for a very extensive cabin mod on a frame that is anywhere from 12-24 years old and bound for a new iteration with a different owner/operator (my speculation) in the next decade probably doesn't make sense from an ROI perspective, especially with the way consumer electronics are progressing.

PhotoJim Dec 12, 2012 11:52 am

We're likely using UA to fly to SYD/MEL in September (not sure ex-LAX or SFO yet, likely the former) so I hope the plan is to launch these services in the Australia route 744s also. That's a long time in a tin can without some entertainment and connectivity.

I can live without IFE to be honest, but if I have a power port and data connectivity, I can kill the time just fine on my own. I can bring my own video/audio content (and have the power for the battery to survive the journey) and I can go online when I'm bored. Never flown this far (YYC-LHR is my record) so I'm sure I will be very bored at times. :)

edcho Dec 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 19843844)
We're likely using UA to fly to SYD/MEL in September (not sure ex-LAX or SFO yet, likely the former) so I hope the plan is to launch these services in the Australia route 744s also. That's a long time in a tin can without some entertainment and connectivity.

I can live without IFE to be honest, but if I have a power port and data connectivity, I can kill the time just fine on my own. I can bring my own video/audio content (and have the power for the battery to survive the journey) and I can go online when I'm bored. Never flown this far (YYC-LHR is my record) so I'm sure I will be very bored at times. :)

I think the focus here is all 744s -- during the UADo/SMD4, Smisek was fully aware of the lack of entertainment options on the 744s (since they are long haul routes) and seemed to want to implement WiFi there ASAP.

The power issue, i'm not so sure about. I hope they address that as well but that maybe an issue that won't be addressed anytime soon (if ever) as that involves seats to be replaced/modified.

lensman Dec 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 19840051)
No thanks. I will just fly SQ instead.

What don't you like about wifi media access?

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis (Post 19842554)
Disagree.. I like to watch IFE while eating my meal.. with meager tray table space even iPad + food is a push..

Oh no! Will I have to buy one of those car seat mounts for my iPad?

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 19843520)

Yes, and the complexity of the in-seat controls with hardwired connections to the hardware under the seat in front of you plus mounting of the display/touch sensitive screen. Maintenance of said units, etc.

PhotoJim Dec 13, 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 19844226)
The power issue, i'm not so sure about. I hope they address that as well but that maybe an issue that won't be addressed anytime soon (if ever) as that involves seats to be replaced/modified.

I can always pick up another 9-cell battery for my netbook. That would give me a total of about 12-14 hours of usage.

The connectivity is the thing I want the most, but power would certainly be nice.

Thanks for the info!

sbm12 Dec 14, 2012 7:56 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 19844226)

Well, the company has indicated that they are going to put power in. And the in-flight amenities tab says it is coming. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that it will happen.