FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   747-400 with WIFI/IFE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1416397-747-400-wifi-ife.html)

Madone59 Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by paulyras (Post 19838929)
Please let this be my plane from NRT to SFO on Sunday...

Well it went to Amarillo Texas today (Charter?)......so good luck with that.

ASEFlyer Dec 11, 2012 5:52 pm

hmm...leading edge is there...probably not getting a paint job since it already has the new livery, maybe they are using the facility to do the wifi mods and need to remove it.

Mike Jacoubowsky Dec 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Pretty good scam on Jeff's part if this is right

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 19838202)
AFAIK it's just to access on-board entertainment, not internet access.

So let me get this straight. We're getting exciting about UA charging us $20 each so they can avoid installing IFE? Is that really what we're saying here? Pretty insane if Jeff's managed to pull this off. Instead of modernizing the aircraft, you allow people to pay you to stream your content to their devices. No device, no content.

ASEFlyer Dec 11, 2012 6:08 pm

I don't think it's conclusive what was being offered. They could have been testing the new sat-based internet service. The two are not necessarily going to be emanating from the same hardware.

sbm12 Dec 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Considering that they have stated publicly in more than one venue that the streaming on-board media will be free this quite unlikely. As in not a chance.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 19839190)
So let me get this straight. We're getting exciting about UA charging us $20 each so they can avoid installing IFE?

Only if you believe the uninformed BS being shared above.

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer (Post 19839234)
I don't think it's conclusive what was being offered. They could have been testing the new sat-based internet service. The two are not necessarily going to be emanating from the same hardware.

Same underlying hardware; the internet uplink is an option on the kit.

The 744 was due to be in service around now based on when it was in MX to have the kit installed. Having the techs flying along also makes sense for a variety of reasons. They know we're watching the deployment eagerly. It behooves them to get it running and running correctly ASAP.

star_world Dec 11, 2012 6:25 pm

So let me get this straight. We're getting exciting about UA charging us $20 each so they can avoid installing IFE? Is that really what we're saying here? Pretty insane if Jeff's managed to pull this off. Instead of modernizing the aircraft, you allow people to pay you to stream your content to their devices. No device, no content.

Before you (and others) get too fired up about this, perhaps a read of the flight status would be in order?

This aircraft will be equipped with satellite Wi-Fi with complimentary wireless streaming content by 2013
So based on that, it's pretty clear that the OP was describing a WiFi Internet service for $20 on their flight. How this turned into a thread completely focused on streaming video content is a different matter entirely.

mduell Dec 11, 2012 6:47 pm

The original news I recalled was just streaming video.

But I am corrected:

An update earlier this year had one sentence about internet access.

Mike Jacoubowsky Dec 11, 2012 8:10 pm

And I retract anything and everything I ever said, which might be construed negatively, about the worlds' greatest airline. :D

(Seriously, I think I recall reading about the streaming IFE being free and a charge for generic 'net access. My bad for jumping onto the bandwagon.)

sincx Dec 11, 2012 8:51 pm

That's actually a really smart idea. Why spend $$$ installing screens at every seat when you can just install power plugs and have a wifi media server for the plane? Everyone has a laptop or tablet these days. And the extra fee for internet access is a valuable and profitable service.

uastarflyer Dec 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by sincx (Post 19840019)
That's actually a really smart idea. Why spend $$$ installing screens at every seat when you can just install power plugs and have a wifi media server for the plane? Everyone has a laptop or tablet these days. .

No thanks. I will just fly SQ instead.

kziel777 Dec 12, 2012 12:13 am

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer (Post 19838642)
So, was this for internet access via wifi or streaming media via wifi or both via wifi?

N104UA has wifi and internet access (not free), as well as complementary streaming media onboard.

Internet costs money, the streaming media is free.

Originally Posted by paulyras (Post 19838929)
Please let this be my plane from NRT to SFO on Sunday...

Don't count on it, N104UA flew to AMA earlier today (confirmed that 8404 flew 862 on the 8th), probably in for paint, which will take a week.

ASEFlyer Dec 12, 2012 8:08 am

Originally Posted by kziel777 (Post 19840788)
N104UA has wifi and internet access (not free), as well as complementary streaming media onboard.

Internet costs money, the streaming media is free.

Don't count on it, N104UA flew to AMA earlier today (confirmed that 8404 flew 862 on the 8th), probably in for paint, which will take a week.

Why paint if it is in globe livery?

JohnMacWW Dec 12, 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by nevansm (Post 19838213)
Not a chance in heck. Whose the main audience for wifi... business travelers, where are they flying... C and F mostly... UA aims for it to be a source of ancillary revenue and I'd be very surprised to see it waived in C or F.

Maybe, but then why do they give free drinks or free use of Direct TV in C/F? Of course maybe I should not be giving them any ideas..........

nevansm Dec 12, 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW (Post 19842290)
Maybe, but then why do they give free drinks or free use of Direct TV in C/F? Of course maybe I should not be giving them any ideas..........

Because its something that a lot of people will pay for (read: expense). If food and drinks weren't better in C and F, there'd be a lot if people up in arms.

cyclogenesis Dec 12, 2012 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sincx (Post 19840019)
That's actually a really smart idea. Why spend $$$ installing screens at every seat when you can just install power plugs and have a wifi media server for the plane? Everyone has a laptop or tablet these days. And the extra fee for internet access is a valuable and profitable service.

Disagree.. I like to watch IFE while eating my meal.. with meager tray table space even iPad + food is a push..