Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is the pmUA 767-300 Domestic "Ghettobird" dead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the pmUA 767-300 Domestic "Ghettobird" dead?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Looks like it is not dead...I don't see any mention of AVOD in Y on ual.com when you click on amenities...actually says overhead screen entertainment...weird.
The website hasn't been updated yet, but rest assured all but 1 have been reconfigured to the 2-cabin international version.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The website hasn't been updated yet, but rest assured all but 1 have been reconfigured to the 2-cabin international version.
Thanks for the clarification...the "amenities" tab looks to be updated because it's showing AVOD in Y, but the entertainment page on ual.com still says that Y has "9 channels" so maybe that's the part of the website that will take awhile to get changed.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Thanks for the clarification...the "amenities" tab looks to be updated because it's showing AVOD in Y, but the entertainment page on ual.com still says that Y has "9 channels" so maybe that's the part of the website that will take awhile to get changed.
If you just look at the "amenities" info that will just show the old information, however if you click on the seat map it will bring up the new 2-cabin configuration.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:11 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by bikenski
The former ATA 753s are the new ghetto birds in the sky heading to & from Hawaii.

The F cabin is better than the 763's was, but Y is brutal, and stretches on row after row after row...
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Oh my, yes ... The sad thing is that fleet wise, the 753's are among the newer birds.

They're just sardine cans. I took one the other day SFO-EWR and even in Row 12, we were eating our knees. Forgot how bad things are without E+!
You're both forgetting one key point: the 753 (bad as it is) already has a nickname -- the slave ship! Given how apropos the name is, I just can't see rebranding them as Ghetto Bird 2.0. It would be an upgrade (albeit in name only... literally).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by QBK
You're both forgetting one key point: the 753 (bad as it is) already has a nickname -- the slave ship! Given how apropos the name is, I just can't see rebranding them as Ghetto Bird 2.0. It would be an upgrade (albeit in name only... literally).
Indeed you are correct - I do call them the slave ship... I was shocked to see it on the transcon - I'm used to seeing those things on leisure routes like EWR-LAS ...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:52 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Indeed you are correct - I do call them the slave ship... I was shocked to see it on the transcon - I'm used to seeing those things on leisure routes like EWR-LAS ...
A month or two back, I ended up back to back 753 segments, IAH-LAX-EWR (on possibly the most miserable booking I've ever seen: ABQ-IAH-LAX-EWR-SYR on (respectively) CR2-753-753-Q200).

Fortunately, Sandy came along and I ended up getting ORC without having to set foot on that thing... ^
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by QBK

That's why I'm still in favor of calling the 787 the new Ghettobird.

In addition to the Y seat width issue, who puts a 20-year-old interior and dark gray wall panels in a brand new plane? If that isn't ghetto, I don't know what is.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by QBK
A month or two back, I ended up back to back 753 segments, IAH-LAX-EWR (on possibly the most miserable booking I've ever seen: ABQ-IAH-LAX-EWR-SYR on (respectively) CR2-753-753-Q200).

Fortunately, Sandy came along and I ended up getting ORC without having to set foot on that thing... ^
Eww! That's just atrocious all the way around. I can only imagine all the Hollywood DYKWIA's out of LAX loving that 753 ... Not exactly glitz and glam.

I flew EWR-SFO on a pmUA 752 last week and I'm not sure who the celebrity was (very tall so assuming basketball player?) but he was pretty PO'd that he didn't get upgraded, so the GA's gave him his own row in the back of the bus.

Glad they didn't bump anyone out of F to feed his ego, but I was surprised they could block an entire row like that (both sides of the aisle) ...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GM
I flew EWR-SFO on a pmUA 752 last week and I'm not sure who the celebrity was (very tall so assuming basketball player?) but he was pretty PO'd that he didn't get upgraded, so the GA's gave him his own row in the back of the bus.
If it was a celeberty, he could have purchased an F seat.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by _Manta_
If it was a celeberty, he could have purchased an F seat.
I think he tried to at the gate but F was fully booked.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can only imagine all the Hollywood DYKWIA's out of LAX loving that 753 ... Not exactly glitz and glam.
I thought they all fly p.s. to JFK anyways.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I think he tried to at the gate but F was fully booked.
TODs most likely. Jeffrey enjoying his $69.

I nominate the zombie 737s with no IFE, if we need to limit it to domestic.

787 for Int'l, though the PMUA 763 IPTE merits consideration in Y. That is ghetto, those bins date back the *click* safety video.

The domestic 777s (and any PMUA 777) are very decent in E+, wider seat, large bins, 2-aisle. No complaints there.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I so miss the * click * video!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
TODs most likely. Jeffrey enjoying his $69.

I nominate the zombie 737s with no IFE, if we need to limit it to domestic.

787 for Int'l, though the PMUA 763 IPTE merits consideration in Y. That is ghetto, those bins date back the *click* safety video.

The domestic 777s (and any PMUA 777) are very decent in E+, wider seat, large bins, 2-aisle. No complaints there.
On a Transcon? No.

Try 80+ upgradeables.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
767-300 Ghetto Bird N666UA still appears to be alive and kicking!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N666UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.