Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is the pmUA 767-300 Domestic "Ghettobird" dead?

Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat

Looks like the last domestic 763 has exited passenger service. Can anyone confirm?

So what is now the Ghettobird? Domestic 2 class 777s?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Black is the new White. and 777's are the new ghetto bird.

haha.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
What is projected completion date of the conversions for the remaining 777s? What about WiFi installation dates?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I wouldn't classify the domestic 777 as a ghetto-bird. The seats and overall cabin comfort are pretty nice. Definitely not as cramped as the domestic 767.

Check out the fleet site for more details. https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking

Looks like the last two have left for mx in GSO and HKG.

Sad to see the ghetto-bird go...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfonorth
What is projected completion date of the conversions for the remaining 777s? ...
early 2013 (Q1?)

Originally Posted by sfonorth
... What about WiFi installation dates?
has started but awaiting FAA certification, then spread over the next 2 years

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
... Sad to see the ghetto-bird go...
true, was an easy upgrade but not hardly the best upgrade
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:06 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Took the ghetto bird a while ago SFO-EWR, it sure was ghetto

Are the 762s considered ghetto birds? There looks to be 5 according to the spreadsheet. Are those the ones for Hawaii?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joony
Are the 762s considered ghetto birds? There looks to be 5 according to the spreadsheet. Are those the ones for Hawaii?
No and no.

Also, they are being retired out of the fleet in the coming months.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
So what is now the Ghettobird?
I nominate the 787. Part of the reason the ghettobird got its name was because of the narrow, uncomfortable seats in F making for an uncomfortable ride.

The 787 may have a nice BF cabin and fancy window shades, but the Y is the tightest of the combined widebody fleet, and IIRC, the Y seats are even narrower than those on the 737.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
The 787 may have a nice BF cabin and fancy window shades, but the Y is the tightest of the combined widebody fleet, and IIRC, the Y seats are even narrower than those on the 737.
+1 The Y seats are not shoulder friendly.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:00 am

I wouldn't classify the domestic 777 as a ghetto-bird. The seats and overall cabin comfort are pretty nice. Definitely not as cramped as the domestic 767.

Check out the fleet site for more details. https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking

Looks like the last two have left for mx in GSO and HKG.

Sad to see the ghetto-bird go...
i agree. when the domestic 772's began flying GUM-HNL, i also thought they were delivered in the mid 90's but was shocked when they were all delivered in 2000, which is just about the same time frame CO began accepting deliveries of their 764's. And while the 764 is no longer flying b/w GUM & HNL, I am looking forward to flying the reconfigured 777's (and yes, I know what refurbishments they're getting, and while they're not lie-flat, at least some sort of recliner is returning with more legroom) once they enter service.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Looks like it is not dead...I don't see any mention of AVOD in Y on ual.com when you click on amenities...actually says overhead screen entertainment...weird.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:50 pm

I am not so sure about that. The seats and IFE in Y are similar, perhaps better on the 767 since there are fewer middle seats. F is a little better on the 777. The 777 has better bins.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
The former ATA 753s are the new ghetto birds in the sky heading to & from Hawaii.

The F cabin is better than the 763's was, but Y is brutal, and stretches on row after row after row...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bikenski
The former ATA 753s are the new ghetto birds in the sky heading to & from Hawaii.

The F cabin is better than the 763's was, but Y is brutal, and stretches on row after row after row...
Oh my, yes ... The sad thing is that fleet wise, the 753's are among the newer birds.

They're just sardine cans. I took one the other day SFO-EWR and even in Row 12, we were eating our knees. Forgot how bad things are without E+!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Looks like it is not dead...I don't see any mention of AVOD in Y on ual.com when you click on amenities...actually says overhead screen entertainment...weird.
Have you flown on one yet ? or better yet have you look at this thread ?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht=ghetto+bird

If you haven't done neither, stop the judgement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.