Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAD22066
I have a similar question... how soon after you qualify do you get to use the benefits? In my case, I'm currently a silver (with 48,000 miles) and will qualify for gold when I reach my connection on a IAD->SFO->SYD flight.

Does United's system know that I have reached Gold status when I have reached SFO? On their website, it takes a few days for their system to give us credit for the miles we've flown.

Also, do you receive any benefit at that point? Will they let you in the lounge?
To be fair, not quite a similar query. :-)

Nothing will happen differently at your connection, as it takes the same days for the miles to post for your Gold to be effective. So no lounges, no better upgrade status - but there are no complimentary upgrades SFO-SYD anyway.

My suggestion - and it's a big YMMV. Ask UA MP if they'll grant you Gold a few days early before you fly. It used to be more common pre-merger.

The other option, of course, is buying 2,000 PQMs and RDMs. Will cost you ~$260 to $320. But you'll get the 50% Gold Bonus, a much better chance on the IAD-SFO upgrade (though a very elite-heavy route), three free bags (x 70 lbs), ability to pick E+ for you and a friend now, and lounge access.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
In my experience as a silver, economy plus has never been a problem. Upgrades are very few and far between to say the least.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I have a similar question... how soon after you qualify do you get to use the benefits? In my case, I'm currently a silver (with 48,000 miles) and will qualify for gold when I reach my connection on a IAD->SFO->SYD flight.

Does United's system know that I have reached Gold status when I have reached SFO? On their website, it takes a few days for their system to give us credit for the miles we've flown.

Also, do you receive any benefit at that point? Will they let you in the lounge? Will all of the upgrades have been given out already?

Thank you,
IAD220666
The only thing you would get is the ability to use the lounge in SFO.
There are no complimentary upgrades on the SFO-SYD flight but if you are trying to upgrade using miles, your Gold status will get you higher on the list but behind all the buy-ups, GS, 1Ks, Platinums, ... etc.

You can try and call UA ahead of time to see if they can do anything or try to get in the lounge or to be safe post on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...up-thread.html to have someone sponsor you in.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Also, do you receive any benefit at that point? Will they let you in the lounge? Will all of the upgrades have been given out already?

Thank you,
IAD220666
Unfortunately, you answered your own question - it does take a day or couple of days for your first flight to post, so you won't be Gold in SFO, and probably not until after you reach SYD. You won't get lounge access until your return. As far as upgrades, you're eligible as Silver from ISD, but no complimentary upgrades are given for transpacific flights.

I agree with previous poster - call and see if they'll accelerate Gold. Slim shot, but what the heck. The lounge personnel are unlikely to give you leeway.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

you will get benefits when your flight post.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:02 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Thank you everyone for your replies. I hadn't thought to call and ask like you suggested. Sounds like a good idea worth giving a try.

Sbanj, didn't mean to hijack your post. Over the past three years, I've averaged about 40k miles (ie I keep making it to Silver but not getting to Gold). The only time I remember getting upgraded during the last three years was on one leg of a trip to Cozumel over Thanksgiving.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Agree with the above, I found as a Silver that if you check in ASAP, you can catch the upgrade window that occurs at T-24 and snag a good E+ seat (even exit rows as those become available to all elites at T-24).

There were only a few instances where I had to check back several times before departure to get a decent E+ seat, but I was always able to eventually get one. It's easier now that the majority of flights contain an actual E+ section and not just the exit/bulkhead rows.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers
Agree with the above, I found as a Silver that if you check in ASAP, you can catch the upgrade window that occurs at T-24 and snag a good E+ seat (even exit rows as those become available to all elites at T-24).
Just to make this explicit: in most cases nowadays, exit rows are treated just like any other E+ seat. There is no special exit row policy.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:41 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I think the simple answer to this question is that there is no simple answer. As a CLE based Silver, I think my "luck" has been a little better than most and have no real complaints. I upgraded SFO-LAS yesterday afternoon and my companion cleared as well. That's generally unheard of for a Silver. The route helped, but that's still a heavily traveled route from what I can gather. The route you're flying, the day you're flying and the time you're flying are all huge factors in whether a Silver (or anybody) will clear.

My usual advice is steer clear of Monday's, Thursday's and A319's.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Personal Batting Average as UA ORD-based Silver for CPUs: 0.000

Personal Batting Average as UA ORD-based Silver for E+ (always an aisle or window unless with traveling companion): 0.8666

ORD - BOS is the only route where I have only been able to snag E+ once.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:53 pm

Thanks for the tips guys

never thought about the 24 hour check in window for the upgrade. i am going to start setting an alarm clock for check-in. Is it 24 hours prior to takeoff? or boarding?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, going for Gold this year
Originally Posted by LeviLewis
never thought about the 24 hour check in window for the upgrade. i am going to start setting an alarm clock for check-in. Is it 24 hours prior to takeoff? or boarding?
That's 24 hrs prior to your flight time (take-off). That's the first time Silver can choose E+. And I'm able to get it 95% of the time.

Last edited by SANDIEGO; Jun 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by SANDIEGO
That's 24 hrs prior to your flight time (take-off). That's the first time Silver can choose E+. And I'm able to get it 95% of the time.
A little nitpick: flight time is not take-off time, it's push-back time.

On the subject of calling to get advance status before a trip, if you can't get an agent on the phone to do it, try using Premier Voice and set out a full description that you'll be hitting Gold on X flight, booked under XYZ reservation number, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, going for Gold this year
[QUOTE=mgcsinc;20859848]A little nitpick: flight time is not take-off time, it's push-back time.

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Thank you,
IAD220666
In all honesty if I had that upcoming trip I'd keep my eyes out for a decent mileage run to get me the 2,000 EQMS before I took the trip to SYD. Lounge access at IAD and SFO, guaranteed E+ and a theoretical shot at an op-up would be worth a few hundred dollars for the MR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.