Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aindfan
I recently flew JFK-LAX on a very crowded holiday travel day, and I'd like to tell anyone who thinks that silver status is useless about my experience.

We arrived at JFK terminal 7 about an hour before our 5:50PM p.s. flight. The check in area was packed, and the security line snaked back for what seemed like half of the length from the checkpoint to the entrance. We strolled past the crowds and flashed our premier access boarding passes and made it through the checkpoint in under 10 minutes.

So each time you board a flight as #45 on the upgrade list, remember how much easier life is when you get to cut the line!

Happy new year to everyone, and thank you all for your contributions to this board.
I think that is hard to go from higher levels to lower levels and most people who be interested in forums like this probably have/had high status in some program at some point. I think that drives the looking down on entry level status. I remember my silver days and even enjoyed an upgrade or 2. Glad to hear that the status helped.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by aindfan
I recently flew JFK-LAX on a very crowded holiday travel day, and I'd like to tell anyone who thinks that silver status is useless about my experience.

We arrived at JFK terminal 7 about an hour before our 5:50PM p.s. flight. The check in area was packed, and the security line snaked back for what seemed like half of the length from the checkpoint to the entrance. We strolled past the crowds and flashed our premier access boarding passes and made it through the checkpoint in under 10 minutes.

So each time you board a flight as #45 on the upgrade list, remember how much easier life is when you get to cut the line!

Happy new year to everyone, and thank you all for your contributions to this board.
Check-in and handling during irrops is absolutely positively a better experience, much better actually, for a *Silver than a GM. It's one of those things you tend to forget about after you've "moved up."
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dimramon
and remember the days when you could book a ticket and assign yourself an E+ seat....
We already have a thread on E+ for Silvers.

Besides, it's p.s. The OP did book a ticket and assign an E+ ticket.

Last edited by aacharya; Dec 29, 2012 at 7:34 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:23 pm

I definitely understand the pain of losing E+ at booking, though when I checked in for the p.s. flight, I was lucky enough to snag two bulkhead seats for us (otherwise $19 each).
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
We already have a thread on E+ for Silvers.

Besides, it's p.s. The OP did book a ticket and assign an E+ ticket.
The reconfiguration will fix that
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
The reconfiguration will fix that
Yes, and will remove the highly coveted Row 9.

Still not relevant to the OP's experience today. In other words, not every "thanks UA" post needs to be thread-jacked.

To be fair, we do already have a "experiences as a UA Silver" thread - this does belong there.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Silver is what it is, Silver...I will take the perks I can get

Got my E+ for SJD-LAX tomorrow and got an e-mail saying my CPU already cleared LAX-IAH on 787 tomorrow night
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:11 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I flew Southwest until August this year because I was didn't realize you could qualify for status on segments on United (mainly flying Omaha to St Louis, Denver, and CHI) and SW RR was revenue based.

After hitting Silver in October I have been able to select E+ for every flight. As others said it really is the biggest benefit. I was also surprised to get a upgrade on my last work trip of the year, but it was just an hour hop to Denver, but still nice to get a granola bar with my vodka OJ

Was almost tempted to make a couple MR to hit Gold, but since I have to do it on segments I couldn't find any cheap 6 segment flights. I am on the road again in a couple weeks so hopefully I can hit Gold or higher this year.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:26 pm

I am flying EWR to HAM as a Silver, will I still be able to get a upgrade to E+ 24 hours in advance if available?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Silver is also useful if your flight gets cancelled and you have to rebook. You will be given priority over the travelers without status and it becomes easier to get rebooked in first class if there are no coach seats available.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:36 pm

Silver here as well. i don't fly that frequently. Maybe 1/2 flights internaitionally, plus a few transcon., and 1-2 other shorter trips. I'm based out of elite-heavy EWR, (where it seems everyone is on the upgrade list and i'm in the 50s). Priority Check-in is helpful when i'm traveling internationally. Usually get E+. Only CPU this past year was actually on an award ticket since i have the CC, but i never really count on upgrades anyways.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Hehe, today is my first flight after regaining silver, and I have a first class seat assigned! Too bad it's such a short flight (IAH to MSY, just over an hour). I've never had an upgrade confirmed in advance.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: UA-gld HH-gld Marriot-gld Hertz-Pres Circle
Just from my experience, I started 2012 with no status, flew segment 30 to get Silver in June and segment 60 to hit gold on 12/27.

Of those 30 flights I flew Silver, only probably 10-12 had a 1st class cabin and I think I was CPU'd on half of them... which I dont think is too bad for only being Silver and flying mostly business times/legs. As far as E+ goes, I only sat in non-E+ once...

I will say however, I am glad to now be able to book into E+ and am interested to see if my CPU percentage increases.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:12 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
UA Silver Experiences/Comments

As a general response to the OP's post, I think the overall take away should be that it's very subjective and it depends on many variables (home airport, routes flown, times, & what's you value in terms of benefits).

I think the best and most valuable benefits for a Silver are improved IRROPS handling, improved customer service, E+ and premier access security lanes. The upgrades are nice when they come, but don't expect them and you'll be much happier.

Don't let the GS' and 1K's of the world downplay the benefits of being a Silver. Obviously a GS or a 1K is going to have it better, but that's the way it should be. It doesn't take away from the added benefits of being a Silver, especially over a GM.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
I have been Happy being Silver So far. was able to get an E+ on all 3 flights as silver last year. The trips this year have not started yet so will have to wait and see.
I have booked my first ever MR TPA-EWR-HNL-EWR-TPA @ 4.8CPM in feb. I had to burn a few carried over Vacation days and wanted to do an MR just for the Heck of experience
Also in past my mindset was to always prefer direct flights even if they were an expensive option, All the Forum reading has somehow changed my mindset and am trying out first multi-stop flight in Feb to Maximize milage (actually a bit higher price than the direct flight but better CPM)
Hoping to complete 25K by March at this rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.