Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Most of my travel is at off-peak times but I have an 80% upgrade rate this year as a 2P, including some very surprising ones like a Thursday evening DEN-LAX and a NRT-HKG. I probably have cursed myself now...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
I got one upgrade as a sliver, but one > none!
I was batting 19 upgrades out of 43 flight segments as CO silver. I haven't been a UA silver since 2002. But all of that data is obviously ancient history, so don't know if it amounts to squat these days. I haven't been less than gold for a while.
Once you're at silver, it'll be easier to stay premier because now you're eligible for that 500 minimum EQM per segment and for the award accelerator purchases.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by garykung
There it is. Thanks! ^ I wonder why the Mileage Calculator doesn't reflect this, though.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by Rasputin175
Hello
I am all psyched as I made it to the Silver Status as of today. Know it’s only the low life of the Elite but still pumped up.
Congrats!

I earned Silver in November, flying primarily out of IAD. (I could have earned UA Gold if I hadn't credited my flights to AC Aeroplan in the first half of 2012, but the lure of a free award ticket IAD-AUS was just too much. ;-)

The weekend after earning Silver, I got a CPU out of PDX to IAD. Other UA Silvers on the same flight reported getting upgraded out of PDX regularly.

Of course, I would use miles to upgrade on IAD-SFO/LAX/DEN, but you never know!

And, even if you don't get upgraded, you will get E+ at check in, priority baggage handling, and a 25 percent RDM bonus - on top of your double miles from the Chase UA card. Awards (like 20k FC upgrades) have the co-pays waived (this can add up). You can also snag instant upgrades on some Y/B fares.

Anyhoo...

Welcome to UA Premier!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by codris
Hello all!

I accidentally qualified for UAL's Premier Silver status in 2010/2011 after taking a trip through my graduate program to Asia. Unsurprisingly, I fell in love with the benefits and have sorely missed them this year. I've begun traveling quite a bit for work and am on the brink of re-qualifying, but since I haven't done it on purpose before I have a quick question I'm hoping your expertise can help me with.

As of today I have 22,534 EQM. I also have three trips scheduled:
12/12-12/13: ORD-DCA-ORD - 1,224 EQM
12/19: ORD-DTW-ORD - 470 EQM
12/25-1/2: ORD-PWM-ORD - 1,800 EQM

By the time I complete my trip on Christmas day I should have qualified for Premier Silver with 25,128 EQM. Will this be the case even though I will not have finished out my last reservation with the second leg of the roundtrip? Am I at risk for missing out on qualification? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Make sure that the boarding pass for your return leg PWM-ORD on Jan. 2 shows Silver status - your return leg should post in 2013 with the 25 percent RDM bonus.

Congrats in advance for earning UA Silver!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:09 pm

Chances of complimentary Economy Plus upgrade? (Premier Silver)

What are the chances like to get a complimentary upgrade to Economy Plus for a Premier Silver member (must do at airport on departure day)? Am booked on Economy in Feb from Tokyo-Honolulu and was wondering if I should just spend the $ and upgrade or try my luck to see if I can get the upgrade?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Not sure about NRT-HNL, but I do fly TPAC regularly between SFO and NRT, and so far have always been able to get an E+ seat even as a Premier Silver. In my experience, there's always a decent level of E+ availability (including aisle/window seats) at T-24 hrs.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:21 pm

Thanks, will be traveling with my wife, so will keep our fingers crossed!

I did pay for E+ on the return leg, as even economy was full (we were both seated in different rows)
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Gymrat76
What are the chances like to get a complimentary upgrade to Economy Plus for a Premier Silver member (must do at airport on departure day)? Am booked on Economy in Feb from Tokyo-Honolulu and was wondering if I should just spend the $ and upgrade or try my luck to see if I can get the upgrade?
I am batting 100% for E+.. (as silver, only just made gold)
You need to"circle the parking lot" a little..

Also, at T-24 people holding good E+ seats tend to get upgraded as well.. So if you check in spot on T-24 good chance of getting a nice seat..

So 100% E+ and I would say ~ 90% good E+, ie forward, exit, aisle..
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gymrat76
Where did you read at airport only?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Yeah.. airport only == not true..

Get on the app or website at T- 24 E+ is yours..

Believe it or not this is actually a pretty good deal as it is any E+ including bulkheads and exit rows..

And FWIW I have never bought E+
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
I've only had about 15 segments as Silver, but I'm 100% on getting E+, and I've gotten two upgrades. One was a IAH-AUS on a Saturday so that wasn't worth much. But the other was EWR to AUS around 5pm on a Friday which was quite surprising to me (I would think that's a prime time for elites to be coming home for the week). I was then 68th on the upgrade list for my IAH-AUS flight

I think you can count on nearly always getting E+ and the occasional upgrade. The bonus miles, free bags, and priority line for ticket agents and security are nice.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with being silver, but I've gotten to move up to an earlier flight free on two occasions despite the published fee for silver being $75. I assume this was because they had plenty of space on the earlier flight and were near full on the later flight, what I don't know is whether regular members and non-members would also be offered the free change.

Overall I think it's a nice set of benefits for being the lowest tier of elite
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Hello fellow 2P's! First post...long time lurker.

I am surprised by my success this month in terms of upgrades. 5/6 segments on transcon flights included upgrades, with the other being E+. I suppose that traveling during the holiday season on elite-light routes certainly helped. I was shocked that on my flight from LAX --> ORD, the entire upgrade list was cleared and there were still 3 empty first class seats. Apparently, miracles do happen....
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
New silver member enjoying the perks

I recently flew JFK-LAX on a very crowded holiday travel day, and I'd like to tell anyone who thinks that silver status is useless about my experience.

We arrived at JFK terminal 7 about an hour before our 5:50PM p.s. flight. The check in area was packed, and the security line snaked back for what seemed like half of the length from the checkpoint to the entrance. We strolled past the crowds, flashed our premier access boarding passes, and made it through the checkpoint in under 10 minutes.

So each time you board a flight as #45 on the upgrade list, remember how much easier life is when you get to cut the line!

Happy new year to everyone, and thank you all for your contributions to this board.

Last edited by aindfan; Dec 29, 2012 at 7:27 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by aindfan
So each time you board a flight as #45 on the upgrade list, remember how much easier life is when you get to cut the line!
and remember the days when you could book a ticket and assign yourself an E+ seat....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.