Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Seems like most of the DYKWIA these days wouldn't exist before the 'charge for a bag era', when overhead space wasn't so sought after. Maybe though, with the snail's pace some airports push luggage (looking at you, DCA).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Self reporting myself, I got to the gate just as they called BG2 (I have BG1/Preboard) and walked right up to the scanner cutting off the first guy in BG2. I'm pretty sure he was giving me the stink eye but I couldn't bear the shame of looking at him.
Stinkeye from BG1 people who have been lined up gate-licing BG1 lane for hours when you bypass them is one of the very few joys of 1K

Originally Posted by kahdgar
Seems like most of the DYKWIA these days wouldn't exist before the 'charge for a bag era', when overhead space wasn't so sought after. Maybe though, with the snail's pace some airports push luggage (looking at you, DCA).
How so? The biggest offenders for DYKWIAisms, too much carryon, and gate-licing in general are people who wouldnt have to pay for bags anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Originally Posted by rankourabu
How so? The biggest offenders for DYKWIAisms, too much carryon, and gate-licing in general are people who wouldnt have to pay for bags anyway.
Right - too much carryon, and they wouldn't have to pay for it - I'm just observing that prior to the 'pay for bags' era, most people in general would just check their bags, there wasn't that much competition for the overhead space - now there's this huge rush to get on first to grab that space. Maybe it's recency bias but I don't remember as much gate licing prior to nearly everyone trying to take on a roll-aboard.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have just read this thread in its entirety.

Eye-opening and entertaining!
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2021 at 8:43 pm
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Friendly Don't be that Entitled Pax

I thought I had seen a thread in this general direction a few years ago (and no doubt if it exists the mod team will merge it )

Was on both segments of 1491 today and on the SFO-IAD leg -- with a generally amazing crew (captain did his 'welcome aboard' PA from the aisle and genuinely thanked everyone from flying -- noting that a year ago he had flown the same route with only one passenger onboard) -- and midway through the flight the dude in 1E saw fit to start screaming at the flight attendants (and captain who had stepped out to use the lav) in the galley including such gems as "Stop your yapping" "Shut up and get to work" "Go do your job" and more -- with his mask around his neck nonetheless.

The flight attendants handled it admirably -- including cutting him off.

This is just a friendly reminder that (a) flight attendants are people too (b) just because you have the Global Services tag hanging from your luggage doesn't give you license to berate someone doing their job and (c) when you're wearing clothing with your employers branding it could be said your repulsive behavior reflects on your employer just as much as it does you personally.

Be nice, people...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2021 at 8:21 pm Reason: Inappropriate title
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That seems pretty egregious. I would hope this DYKWIA is on UA's no-fly list by now.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
That seems pretty egregious. I would hope this DYKWIA is on UA's no-fly list by now.
I offered my card to the FAs if they needed a witness, but once the alcohol went away he got much quieter... Would guess if anything he gets a letter from UA and/or the FAA (IIIRC, airlines are required to report passenger disturbances where alcohol is involved)

It was rather glorious to see one of the FA's scoop the half-consumed drink from in front of him "You're cut off" in one move while he was still whining
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It's been a year+ since the last post - Covid has one good by-product (apparently grounding a lot of DYKWIAs)...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2021 at 8:45 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I offered my card to the FAs if they needed a witness, but once the alcohol went away he got much quieter... Would guess if anything he gets a letter from UA and/or the FAA (IIIRC, airlines are required to report passenger disturbances where alcohol is involved)

It was rather glorious to see one of the FA's scoop the half-consumed drink from in front of him "You're cut off" in one move while he was still whining
Had not known about that, but here it is:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.575
§ 121.575 (d)

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...ia/acob202.pdf

I wonder what the FAA does with that information.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's been a year+ since the last post - Covid has one good by-product (apparently grounding a lot of DYKWIAs)...
Well that thread was a fun reminder of when we were all flying much more than we are now.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2021 at 8:46 pm Reason: Clean up after merge
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I’d love to see a name-and-shame of the company. The guy was wearing corporate-branded clothing. He put it out there.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The other day I saw someone with at least 6 brag tags on his carryon suitcase. Someone really wants everyone to know about his status
Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fumje
If he's not, he should be.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:09 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Maybe unrealistic of me but I'd really be surprised to see a GS acting this way. Crazy to me how you could 1) not develop some level of empathy for UA front-line employees in the amount of flying it generally takes to get GS or 2) not get banned from the airline if this is a way you act given the amount of flying it generally takes to get GS.

I'm happy to report being the recipient of the alternative admonishment from an FA or two of "you know, I generally would have cut someone off by now but you seem totally fine!"
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LIH
Maybe unrealistic of me but I'd really be surprised to see a GS acting this way...
Yeah - The few obnoxious people I've encountered are actually people riding in a front cabin on some rare (or only) occasion and think buying a front cabin ticket entitles them to act like Louis the XIV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.