Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Howste
I would have cut them off as soon as they pushed your partner down the stairs.
Touche, Howste!
Old May 22, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wow, this is a new one. On CR7 and I’m in 7A (1st row coach). Guy in 8C takes his tagged rollerboard which of course doesn’t fit in the bins and throws it under the last row of FC (ie 7D’s foot space). Pax in 7C or 7D haven’t boarded yet. Another pax asks what he is doing and and he says “they got plenty of room.” He then proceeds to poach 7C and then 7C pax shows up guy claims “GA said no one else was coming and I could sit here.”

Amazingly pax in 7D shows up and doesn’t say a word....
Old May 22, 2019, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wow, this is a new one. On CR7 and I’m in 7A (1st row coach). Guy in 8C takes his tagged rollerboard which of course doesn’t fit in the bins and throws it under the last row of FC (ie 7D’s foot space). Pax in 7C or 7D haven’t boarded yet. Another pax asks what he is doing and and he says “they got plenty of room.” He then proceeds to poach 7C and then 7C pax shows up guy claims “GA said no one else was coming and I could sit here.”

Amazingly pax in 7D shows up and doesn’t say a word....
Good grief, what an arrogant you-know-what! I hope the real 7C booted this jerk out of his seat and didn't sulk to another seat.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:41 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Good grief, what an arrogant you-know-what! I hope the real 7C booted this jerk out of his seat and didn't sulk to another seat.
I find some solace in the fact that this piece of work clearly spends a lot of times on CR7s. Small balance of fairness in life.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
A few years back I was on a 737, sitting in the bulkhead row in seat A. No surprise, all of the overhead bins in the front of coach were full with the doors closed already. The person in seat C had gone to the bathroom at this point.
Some clown comes on board, opens the bin above me and proceeds to pull Mr. C's briefcase down and puts HIS bag in the same spot. I confront him and ask why he's moving other people's bags onto the floor without asking and he gives me a rant about how he's paid for his ticket and he has the right to this space as well. I decide to not escalate the situation and let him go about his business as he re-closes the bin and walks to the back of the plane.

45 seconds later, I get up, take his bag out and put it on the ground (mind you, he just left Mr. C's briefcase sitting in the aisle and just walked away), and then put Mr. C's stuff back up top. When the FA comes around asking who's bag was sitting on the ground, I explain to him what had happened and he gladly found the offending passenger and checked the luggage for him.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hindle
A few years back I was on a 737, sitting in the bulkhead row in seat A. No surprise, all of the overhead bins in the front of coach were full with the doors closed already. The person in seat C had gone to the bathroom at this point.
Some clown comes on board, opens the bin above me and proceeds to pull Mr. C's briefcase down and puts HIS bag in the same spot. I confront him and ask why he's moving other people's bags onto the floor without asking and he gives me a rant about how he's paid for his ticket and he has the right to this space as well. I decide to not escalate the situation and let him go about his business as he re-closes the bin and walks to the back of the plane.

45 seconds later, I get up, take his bag out and put it on the ground (mind you, he just left Mr. C's briefcase sitting in the aisle and just walked away), and then put Mr. C's stuff back up top. When the FA comes around asking who's bag was sitting on the ground, I explain to him what had happened and he gladly found the offending passenger and checked the luggage for him.
You deserve a cape and a national holiday....
Old May 23, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
^^^
Old May 23, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Ideally, there was plenty of overhead space available at the back when he walked there, and none by the time the FA got there with his bag.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:20 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Cross this with the "celebrity sightings" thread, though I would use that definition loosely. Was on a 777-222 LAX > ORD yesterday with the GF cabin. I was in 2A and was bounced for an FAM down to 6C. Not great, but short flight so I don't really care. Shortly after I settle into my seat with my PDB (great FAs, by the way) I start to hear a commotion in row 7. A 50-year-old gentleman in a baseball hat is absolutely losing his mind about being in the business class cabin after having walked through the FC cabin. He starts to shout at the FA "I paid $2,500 for this ticket! This is the worst! there is no room for my arms! I want to sit up there!". I would note that later he upped that amount to "Three Grand!". He continues down this path for 15 minutes and eventually has a FA go and get a station manager who comes on and basically says "I get your frustration, there's nothing we can do, there wasn't an aircraft swap so this is actually the seat you booked." This is when the guy starts shouting "I'M JUDGE MATHIS! I'M JUDGE MATHIS AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!". It took every ounce of my self control not to just burst out laughing. Was live texting this to some buddies who were getting a big kick out of it.

During the flight I was chatting with one of the FAs and basically said I think they remained incredibly calm in the face of such a ridiculous tantrum. I also mentioned that I had been bumped for the FAM that was obviously sitting in my previously assigned 2A. I told him I wanted to go up to him and just say "I'm Global Services and you're in my courtroom now judge!".

So ridiculous. I do NOT miss living in LA and being ex-LAX where this seems to be so much more common.

Last edited by LIH; Jun 5, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LIH
This is when the guy starts shouting "I'M JUDGE MATHIS! I'M JUDGE MATHIS AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!".
Outside of a few shows that I DVR, I don't watch much TV anymore so I had to Google who (I assume) this was:

"Judge Greg Mathis is unlike most adjudicators you'd see in a courtroom. The former Detroit-area district court judge infuses his court sessions with a generous dose of humor as he listens to diverse litigants plead their small-claims cases in his TV courtroom."

Maybe he'll air his complaints to UA in a future episode
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by LIH
"I'm Global Services and you're in my courtroom now judge!".
This is the best line that I have heard in a long time. You should have used it. Bravo.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
I don't watch much TV anymore so I had to Google who (I assume) this was:
lol
I had to do the exact same thing!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by seenitall
This is the best line that I have heard in a long time. You should have used it. Bravo.
Maybe Judge Mathis would have replied “I’m ‘Global,’ too,” while simultaneously flashing his Global Entry card.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ok I fly Sfo-ord and I last saw a GF for this route in 2013 or so for 767-300. I’m a tad green with envy that lax gets a 3-class 777, big wow!!
sorry about the FAM bump and glad you got to stay in F. My main FAM fear is getting a cabin downgrade and only a tiny downgrade credit.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting encounter

I'm on a moving walkway in the international terminal (SFO) in my way to the gate for a United flight. This lady, in front of me, getting off the walkway, drops her bag and bends over to collect her stuff, blocking most of the exit to the walkway.

It's a moving walkway, and she is RIGHT at the exit, so I'm going to bump into her if I don't react. So I move to the left edge of the wakway and step around her to get off the walkway. She turns to me, and says, "step over me, why don't you?". I say, "what do you want me to do, slam into you"? She tells me to go F myself. I smile, make a comment about her lack of intelligence under my breath, and continue on to the gate.

Fun times...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.