Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cash payment / Western Union options gone for united.com reservations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash payment / Western Union options gone for united.com reservations?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I can't imagine anyone went to the web site to book a trip and truly wanted to pay by cash. I have no inside information at all, but can only imagine this was used way more by people to hold a flight free for a day or two than those that actually paid cash at a western union or airport ticket counter. More surprised it lasted this long than to see it go away.
I found it useful to hold a flight and go to the airport to use paper certs. I'm glad I used the last of them earlier this year.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:04 pm

If they want to rich Farelock, I hope UA understands that Farelock doesn't work if there are any non UA metal flights. Try going to DME (a former UA destination (RIP) ), there's bound to be a connection in Zurich/FRA/MUC/GVA/BRU.

Anyone remember expert mode?. That was taken away snappy, then put back.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by meFIRST
I suspect United will see a lot more of this. I would have to call and book a ticket from scratch for up fare/complex purposes over the phone. I suspect the average call would be 30-45 minutes. Well, I guess that's how they want do it now.

What kind of idiot doesn't want cash?

Anyway, I'm fine with this as long as the few remaining CTOs still exist, in particular Dawn & the CTO at Penn Station New York.

Suggestion : Why can't UA still make this available for trusted customers, i.e 1Ks, etc? ( sign in required) , the same way a bank/club/hotel would give one privileges?

Maybe I'm old fashioned. Now back to my retirement....
Cash sucks. It requires that you have local employees to handle it, cash management agreements with banks, fraud and loss prevention processes to deal with it. In short, it sucks. I'm confident that it's the major reason that UA went cash-less onboard. If they can go cashless and save money on operations, I am all for it.

Then again, I'm the kind of person that looks at merchants that don't accept credit cards as dinosaurs that will eventually go by the wayside and pays with my phone at coffee shops and convenience stores.

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Yes, this is breaking a useful tool to guide money into FareLocks. I used this frequently, but never as abuse, just web site "ease of use".

A one hour hold would meet most of the technical uses, without competing with FareLock. Or simply remove the fare guarantee, but allow holds as before?

In any case, the best pressure on UA would be lots of book-and-cancels. Book one to show the agent, explain carefully this was your only recourse, and have agent cancel your booking after they construct the replacement you desire. (Yes, there's the miles float issue, cash float is easier.)

Also, one should always book two one-ways if possible. The ease with which one can do this, and the cost-benefit analysis, is a recent phenomenon, so this is worth rethinking whatever your past opinion. For reward travel, this provides much more flexibility on rerouting returns, grabbing last-minute Saver First seats, etc. In general, this solves some of the technical problems raised in this thread.
If all you need is an hour and you intend to book it anyway, why not just pay for it and cancel/refund if you don't want it?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by unavaca
If all you need is an hour and you intend to book it anyway, why not just pay for it and cancel/refund if you don't want it?
Various people in this thread need a reservation modified. Can't be done without a change fee, once booked.

CO should have simply dropped the price guarantee for "paying by cash". We're probably way ahead of them on the unintended consequences; they probably just realized no one uses cash, no evil intent just lack of situational awareness.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Syzygies
Various people in this thread need a reservation modified. Can't be done without a change fee, once booked.

CO should have simply dropped the price guarantee for "paying by cash". We're probably way ahead of them on the unintended consequences; they probably just realized no one uses cash, no evil intent just lack of situational awareness.
Sure it can. Changes within the first 24 hour are exempt from the change fee. Book what you want and call to change -- exactly what you're describing. If you owe more, they'll be happy to do an add/collect.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...romoCode=A5753
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:21 am

I'm seeing the "Pay by Cash" option (on an itinerary to Mexico departing from YVR).

I have no objection to going to the airport ticket office to pay (I've done this with vouchers in the past). However, may I use a credit card there?

I would be happy to just use the 24-hour refund policy, but I've a couple of tickets that are taking weeks to actually refund, so I want to avoid that if possible.

Solved my own problem. I decided to go for it, and I see this:

To complete your purchase do one of the following:
Note your confirmation number and total price of this reservation and visit a Western Union location near you. See instructions and a list of locations. (20.00 CAD per transaction)
Purchase your ticket at an Airport Ticket Office. (a transaction fee may apply)
Pay later using a credit card by signing into your account or by entering your United confirmation number to view your reservation.
You may also call United Reservations from Canada at 1-800-579-3958or in the U.S. at 1-800-396-1751 for assistance (a transaction fee will apply).
Therefore, I will be fine paying by credit card, and in this case I got until midnight, Nov. 29 to pay.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 26, 2012 at 7:28 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I'm seeing the "Pay by Cash" option (on an itinerary to Mexico departing from YVR).

on united.com or on the Canadian site (united.ca)?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
on united.com or on the Canadian site (united.ca)?
United.ca .
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:42 am

Also still showing when United Kingdom is selected as billing country.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Payment by Western Union has disappeared

Anyone notice that the option to pay with Western Union or Purchase Ticket at the Airport has been removed?

I always found it very useful to "hold" flights for 24 hours as you didn't need to pay anything... better than using the FareLock feature.

Why has it been removed?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
I noticed that yesterday as well when I was booking some flights. I also noticed that the FareLock option was gone - or did I just miss it?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
a number of payment options were removed two weeks ago.
see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ervations.html for speculation on why.
(hint -- these options were not intent to be used as a "hold" or way to avoid farelock)

Farelock is still available (and likely to stay as a revenue source).
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 am

Was able to use this feature yesterday (Nov. 28, 2012).

My reminder email says:
Your ticket purchase is not complete and is subject to cancellation if not purchased by 12 midnight (CT) on Sat., Dec. 1, 2012.

Does this mean 23:59:59 on November 30, or does it mean 23:59:59 on December 1?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:18 pm
RNE

Was able to use this feature yesterday (Nov. 28, 2012).

My reminder email says:
Your ticket purchase is not complete and is subject to cancellation if not purchased by 12 midnight (CT) on Sat., Dec. 1, 2012.

Does this mean 23:59:59 on November 30, or does it mean 23:59:59 on December 1?
UA means Dec 1 at one second after 23:59:59. But UA doesn't understand and isn't using the designation "midnight" correctly in this context.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
UA means Dec 1 at one second after 23:59:59. But UA doesn't understand and isn't using the designation "midnight" correctly in this context.
Just to be clear - do I have until the end of the day November 30, or until the end of the day December 1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.