Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA CPU Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
When on a common PNR, the elite & companion will be waitlisted at the start of the elite's time window. The elite and companion will be prioritized based on the (higher) elite's status and their common fare class. They will clear together or neither will clear. At check-in, it will be asked if you wish to be placed on the CPU / Gate Upgrade Waitlist, if answered Yes, then the PNR will be split and each will be placed on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist with the elite's status and their common fare class (and ordered by the lowest eticket number). At this point either 1 or both or none may clear the waitlist. If the check-in question is answered No, the PNR will not be split and neither will be on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist.

Companions on separate PNR are not explicitly discussed but some GAs will add them at the Gate.

While elites may be eligible (with the right credit card) for award upgrades, companions are explicitly excluded.

Related threads
Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA

Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

To split or not to split PNR

Archive of earlier posts: Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
For future reference, I would recommend splitting everyone off your reservation besides 1 kid and chance the both of you for a CPU while upgrading everyone else. LAX-ORD is not too hard of a flight for a CPU. I was clearing as a gold not too long ago. Then just monitor the upgrade list everyday and if seats are getting booked then you can apply more plus points as you see fit.
Damn, wish I would have known to do this before I separated my wife and both kids. Do you think the 1k line can reverse that for me?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rickfromla
Damn, wish I would have known to do this before I separated my wife and both kids. Do you think the 1k line can reverse that for me?
It never hurts to ask, but I doubt it. Plus points in the FAQs say that once they clear they’re not returnable. One of the gripes as old GPUs/RPUs were returnable if your original fare class was available.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
It never hurts to ask, but I doubt it. Plus points in the FAQs say that once they clear they’re not returnable.
Correct. Furthermore, once you've split a PNR, there's no easy way to unspilt it. The agent would have to build a new record from scratch. It's all possible, but the agent would have to bend so many rules to do it that it's not probable.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct. Furthermore, once you've split a PNR, there's no easy way to unspilt it. The agent would have to build a new record from scratch. It's all possible, but the agent would have to bend so many rules to do it that it's not probable.
Adding to that, I have never heard of anyone getting a split 'undone' (reservation recreated).
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have noted recently, that when checking in with a companion on the reservation, the reservation is not split at that time, yet we both show on the upgrade list. Has something changed? I wonder if the PNR is now split only if the upgrade is processed at the gate, versus at check-in in advance.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
CPU with non status passengers on same PNR

I never travel with others on my PNR. This time, I have my girlfriend and her daughter. Would they CPU with me as GS or am I getting leap frogged because of it. T-2 and PN3.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
None of you will CPU with 3 on the res.
With PN3 you could burn the PlusPoints and clear immediately.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Well, the one split off to apply PPs would clear immediately (if the PPs can be applied this late). The other two would clear when UA clears CPUs, and at that time, by list priority.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, the one split off to apply PPs would clear immediately (if the PPs can be applied this late). The other two would clear when UA clears CPUs, and at that time, by list priority.
PlusPoints request can be done anytime. Split the girlfriend’s daughter out and request PP upgrade.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
If I split the girlfriends daughter off and PP, will girlfriend clear with CPU with me or is that not possible? sorry, group travel is new to me lol.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What is age of child? Splitting the child from the PNR may create a unaccompanied minor issue if 14 and under. It can be straighten out at checkin if an adult is in the same cabin. Would be better to split off the non-status adult

A PNR with 2 non-status passenger will not be eligible for CPU

Companion CPU can happen together if it occurs prior to checkin. At the gate, each passenger clears separately.
Kmxu likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
Any at-gate luck with different PNRs?

Traveling EWR-STT with the GF, but on different PNRs. I should clear for the upgrade, currently 2 on the list for 7 empty seats, and we are two of the four seats filled in Y+.

I'll ask at the gate, any reports on whether anyone has been successful with asking at the gate?
Old May 12, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vitira
Traveling EWR-STT with the GF, but on different PNRs. I should clear for the upgrade, currently 2 on the list for 7 empty seats, and we are two of the four seats filled in Y+.

I'll ask at the gate, any reports on whether anyone has been successful with asking at the gate?
Calling Premier line at T-24 may help, too.
Good luck.
Old May 12, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
Tried, failed

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Calling Premier line at T-24 may help, too.
Good luck.
But I didn't HUCA … yet …

I'll try Twitter help, sometimes they're far enough removed …
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is age of child? Splitting the child from the PNR may create a unaccompanied minor issue if 14 and under. It can be straighten out at checkin if an adult is in the same cabin. Would be better to split off the non-status adult

A PNR with 2 non-status passenger will not be eligible for CPU

Companion CPU can happen together if it occurs prior to checkin. At the gate, each passenger clears separately.
I’m in the scenario with a 3 year old. If I split my husband off, does this mean there’s no opp for him to upgrade or will he just be on a separate PNR but lower on the list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.