Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA CPU Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
When on a common PNR, the elite & companion will be waitlisted at the start of the elite's time window. The elite and companion will be prioritized based on the (higher) elite's status and their common fare class. They will clear together or neither will clear. At check-in, it will be asked if you wish to be placed on the CPU / Gate Upgrade Waitlist, if answered Yes, then the PNR will be split and each will be placed on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist with the elite's status and their common fare class (and ordered by the lowest eticket number). At this point either 1 or both or none may clear the waitlist. If the check-in question is answered No, the PNR will not be split and neither will be on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist.

Companions on separate PNR are not explicitly discussed but some GAs will add them at the Gate.

While elites may be eligible (with the right credit card) for award upgrades, companions are explicitly excluded.

Related threads
Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA

Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

To split or not to split PNR

Archive of earlier posts: Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My first time traveling with a companion as an elite. I'm silver, companion has no status, both of us on same PNR.

During the check in process on the web, I get this message:

Please read the upgrade option below:

Premier® members and companions may be added to the standby list to receive Complimentary Premier Upgrades. If an upgrade is selected, a separate reservation will be created for each traveler. The new confirmation number will be printed on the boarding pass.
Select traveler(s):
[] swag

So I'm confused. Why is there a box to select myself, but not my companion?

And what does it mean that "a separate reservation will be created for each traveler."? If it creates a separate PNR, is there a chance my companion would lose her E+ seat or the elite free checked bag allowance, either on this outbound or on the upcoming return flight?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I’m soon traveling with my family on some routes that *might* be kind of light up front (DEN-BDL on a Wednesday evening; BWI-DEN on a holiday weekend Saturday). Currently I am booked on a paid ticket as a 1K, and my wife and two kids are on a separate reservation on award tickets. I assume we are out of luck with respect to companion upgrades, right? Any strategy here other than ask nicely at the airport?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
I’m soon traveling with my family on some routes that *might* be kind of light up front (DEN-BDL on a Wednesday evening; BWI-DEN on a holiday weekend Saturday). Currently I am booked on a paid ticket as a 1K, and my wife and two kids are on a separate reservation on award tickets. I assume we are out of luck with respect to companion upgrades, right? Any strategy here other than ask nicely at the airport?
Well, you’d only be able to name one companion, anyway.

A previous poster has reported success getting a companion upgraded at the airport in this situation. The policy is a bit hazy; if you were on an award ticket, you wouldn’t be able to upgrade a companion, and the official policy is that companions are supposed to be on the same PNR to be upgraded, so this possibility isn’t addressed explicitly. It can’t hurt to ask, but I wouldn’t argue if the agent says no.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan

Well, you’d only be able to name one companion, anyway.

A previous poster has reported success getting a companion upgraded at the airport in this situation. The policy is a bit hazy; if you were on an award ticket, you wouldn’t be able to upgrade a companion, and the official policy is that companions are supposed to be on the same PNR to be upgraded, so this possibility isn’t addressed explicitly. It can’t hurt to ask, but I wouldn’t argue if the agent says no.
Thanks, and definitely not arguing with any answer given by the GA. I completely realize that there is no published benefit that even remotely resembles this situation. My guess is given the dates/times, these flights *might* have open F seats on day of departure. We’ll see what happens if I ask at the gate.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Purchase Reservation

Hello!

Does it matter who purchases the reservation? I am Gold and wife is 1K, so if I purchase the reservation for both of us, do we still carry her 1K status for CPU priority?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers
Hello!

Does it matter who purchases the reservation? I am Gold and wife is 1K, so if I purchase the reservation for both of us, do we still carry her 1K status for CPU priority?

Thanks!
It does not matter who purchases the reservation, no.
GoPUBoilers likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Hello All. First time posting but had something interesting happen today for my flight so thought I'd see if this has ever happened to anyone else. My wife (no status) and myself (1K) are traveling back home on a CPU eligible flight. At the 24 hour window I clicked the acknowledgement to split-up our PNR so we could both be eligible for an upgrade as there were still quite a few seats available. The interesting part is right away I was listed first and my wife second on the upgrade list, but then my wife received a CPU to first class a few minutes later and today I'm still listed as 1st on the CPU wait list... I'm still currently on the wait list about 1.5 hrs before boarding. There are still empty seats so it might all work out fine, and I would have given my wife the upgrade anyways if we were not both upgraded, but I'm just curious as what could have happened to have her upgraded before me as I'm the 1K? Thoughts?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, BDFlyer15
Originally Posted by BDFlyer15
..The interesting part is right away I was listed first and my wife second on the upgrade list, but then my wife received a CPU to first class a few minutes later and today I'm still listed as 1st on the CPU wait list... I'm still currently on the wait list about 1.5 hrs before boarding. There are still empty seats so it might all work out fine, and I would have given my wife the upgrade anyways if we were not both upgraded, but I'm just curious as what could have happened to have her upgraded before me as I'm the 1K? Thoughts?
This happens on occasion for those initially on a common PNR

For now, ignore the visible list, it is not used until just prior to flight time 30 - 40 minutes for CPU.

There is a second list that is used for pre-gate upgrades. The sorting order of the two lists are slightly different. It is how UA does tiebreakers after status and fare, there are a number of factors used but one that can change between the two lists is generally called "time of request".

For visible gate list, it is the order of check-in, so you probably got checked in first.

For the invisible list, there has been some uncertainty of how those on a common PNR are ranked, some think it is the ticket number (losest wins), others think it is the alphabetic order of names, ... either way appears your wife was above you on the invisible list and below you on the visible list.

The invisible list is used until the GA takes control of the flight and closer to flight, the GA processes the visible list.

Rube Goldberg could have not designed a more convoluted system but that is the way it works.

If you really want to dive deeper into this, there is more in Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by BDFlyer15
My wife (no status) and myself (1K) are traveling back home on a CPU eligible flight.
Have you thought about nominating your wife for 1K too?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
OP has to be million miler to do so.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Got to be a MMer to do that and if the companion always travels with the elite, there isn't much to gain in many cases.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Thank you for the detailed response WineCountryUA! I never knew about the two lists for upgrades so learned something new. Either way it became a moot point as I was upgraded at the gate .
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, BDFlyer15
This happens on occasion for those initially on a common PNR

For now, ignore the visible list, it is not used until just prior to flight time 30 - 40 minutes for CPU.

There is a second list that is used for pre-gate upgrades. The sorting order of the two lists are slightly different. It is how UA does tiebreakers after status and fare, there are a number of factors used but one that can change between the two lists is generally called "time of request".

For visible gate list, it is the order of check-in, so you probably got checked in first.

For the invisible list, there has been some uncertainty of how those on a common PNR are ranked, some think it is the ticket number (losest wins), others think it is the alphabetic order of names, ... either way appears your wife was above you on the invisible list and below you on the visible list.

The invisible list is used until the GA takes control of the flight and closer to flight, the GA processes the visible list.

Rube Goldberg could have not designed a more convoluted system but that is the way it works.

If you really want to dive deeper into this, there is more in Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively
Does any of this explain why in my case my companion is listed at #14 on the visible upgrade list, while I am #10 at T-20? I would have thought we would be #10 and #11 after splitting the PNR at check in.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The wiki says,
When on a common PNR, the elite & companion will be waitlisted at the start of the elite's time window. The elite and companion will be prioritized based on the (higher) elite's status and their common fare class. They will clear together or neither will clear. At check-in, it will be asked if you wish to be placed on the CPU / Gate Upgrade Waitlist, if answered Yes, then the PNR will be split and each will be placed on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist with the elite's status and their common fare class (and ordered by the lowest eticket number). At this point either 1 or both or none may clear the waitlist. If the check-in question is answered No, the PNR will not be split and neither will be on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist.
(emphasis mine).

However, I don't believe this is true any longer—i.e. I don't believe the companion inherits the higher elite's status for CPU now.

It appears to me that if splitting at check-in to go to the gate for the upgrade, the companion will be reprioritised according to his/her own status. Before splitting the companion does still inherit status.

If using an instrument, the companion does seem to still inherit the elite's status, and then check-in time still determines the ranking. (But that is subject for another thread.)
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
However, I don't believe this is true any longer—i.e. I don't believe the companion inherits the higher elite's status for CPU now.

It appears to me that if splitting at check-in to go to the gate for the upgrade, the companion will be reprioritised according to his/her own status. Before splitting the companion does still inherit status.
You're implying after a split a no-status companion goes to the very bottom of the list? I'm pretty sure that's not true, at least not prior to the rollout of the new Plus Points lists, which seems to have broken everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.