Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA CPU Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
When on a common PNR, the elite & companion will be waitlisted at the start of the elite's time window. The elite and companion will be prioritized based on the (higher) elite's status and their common fare class. They will clear together or neither will clear. At check-in, it will be asked if you wish to be placed on the CPU / Gate Upgrade Waitlist, if answered Yes, then the PNR will be split and each will be placed on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist with the elite's status and their common fare class (and ordered by the lowest eticket number). At this point either 1 or both or none may clear the waitlist. If the check-in question is answered No, the PNR will not be split and neither will be on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist.

Companions on separate PNR are not explicitly discussed but some GAs will add them at the Gate.

While elites may be eligible (with the right credit card) for award upgrades, companions are explicitly excluded.

Related threads
Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA

Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

To split or not to split PNR

Archive of earlier posts: Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
If you and your wife are on the same PNR, she should be added to the upgrade list automatically with you. If you only see your name and not hers on the upgrade list for an upcoming flight, you can talk to an agent at the airport and they can add your wife to the upgrade list.

I was able to add my gf to the upgrade list using this method while checking bags before our flight in January. She was upgraded at the gate and we enjoyed our flight in F next to one another. She wasn't even on my PNR as we had split the reservations, so she could return a day early.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I have a companion on my reservation for an upcoming flight. Just looked and we are 15 and 16 on the upgrade list. I’ve never seen 14 1Ks/GS on PIT-ORD before, I suppose it’s possible there are 14, but could the companion also be causing our placement to be lower than it’s supposed to be?
Old May 16, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I have a companion on my reservation for an upcoming flight. Just looked and we are 15 and 16 on the upgrade list. I’ve never seen 14 1Ks/GS on PIT-ORD before, I suppose it’s possible there are 14, but could the companion also be causing our placement to be lower than it’s supposed to be?
Shouldn't be.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
15 out of how many?

If you're lower than about halfway with a 1K CPU that's indicative of an issue, otherwise just keep in mind there are a lot of Plus Points getting thrown on more and more reservations.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by findark
15 out of how many?

If you're lower than about halfway with a 1K CPU that's indicative of an issue, otherwise just keep in mind there are a lot of Plus Points getting thrown on more and more reservations.
15 about 30. But today there was about 8 1Ks on my ORD-PIT this morning so perhaps there are just more 1Ks flying into/out of PIT than normal this week. I’m used to being the only one!
Old May 17, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah - and as I said don't forget anyone who knows someone with Plus Points to throw on their reservation is also ahead of you. This tends to be the top quarter or so of the list anyway.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and dinoscool3 like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
15 about 30. But today there was about 8 1Ks on my ORD-PIT this morning so perhaps there are just more 1Ks flying into/out of PIT than normal this week.
trade show / convention / conference
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:27 am

If companion has status, lower priority for everyone?

Discovered an unpleasant glitch in CPU prioritization. Two 1Ks + no status on the same reservation: all 3 listed with 1K priority. Two 1Ks + silver: all 3 listed with what appears to be silver priority (35-37 out of 38 on an A319). I think I understand why -- CPU priority is based on the lowest status across all eligible pax in the reservation (1K in the former case because the no-status companion is not eligible on their own, silver in the latter) -- but does not feel right. Of course, no one is getting upgraded on an A319, but I can see scenarios where this could make a difference.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AustinPilot
Discovered an unpleasant glitch in CPU prioritization. Two 1Ks + no status on the same reservation: all 3 listed with 1K priority. Two 1Ks + silver: all 3 listed with what appears to be silver priority (35-37 out of 38 on an A319). I think I understand why -- CPU priority is based on the lowest status across all eligible pax in the reservation (1K in the former case because the no-status companion is not eligible on their own, silver in the latter) -- but does not feel right. Of course, no one is getting upgraded on an A319, but I can see scenarios where this could make a difference.
You can test out your hypothesis by splitting into two reservations, 1K alone, 1K + Silver in another. Hopefully, this will change the positions on the upgrade standby list.
Good luck.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe this is policy, perhaps because "second highest status on the reservation" was too complex for the devs
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While can not find this on the present UA site, this was capture in this thread;s wiki
One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.

Has never made sense to me but ....
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While can not find this on the present UA site, this was capture in this thread;s wiki

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation.
The case I am talking about (everyone is a Premier member) results in a lower priority for everyone on the reservation than the case in the wiki (one is not a Premier member).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by AustinPilot; Nov 9, 2022 at 12:40 pm Reason: CPU for 2-pax reservations seems to go by the highest status, for 3-pax by the lowest
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:37 pm

The case I am talking about (everyone is a Premier member) results in a lower priority for everyone on the reservation than the case in the wiki (one is not a Premier member).
I was reading the wiki item is three or more is going to be the lowest elite, which matches your case. Do realize the 3rd person is different in the two cases but the use of the lower status traveler () is common in two cases. It was not mend to be a definitive answer but showing the crazy logical used in a similar case.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Has never made sense to me but ....
In our attempt to reach gold status (success!) our 3 year old seemed to somehow reach silver herself
But it sounds like the next time the three of us travel together I’ll need to split the reservation so that we all end up CPU eligible with Gold priority?

Seems like it would have been easier if she hadn’t reached premier status.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:17 am

So, based on the outbound, our 5 pax PNR (3 silvers and two GM) were split, the 3 being upgraded, and the two GM remained in one PNR.

Now on the inbound, the 3 silvers again are upgraded. The two GM (while saying CPU eligible in the app, like the outbound), are not upgraded, and not on the upgrade list.

At this time, is there anything I can do when J is still fairly wide open? Reading through some threads I think I can only ask at the gate to be part of the gate upgrade list (and this is a maybe?)
Does further splitting the one PNR of the two GMs into two do anything at this time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.