Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Star Alliance is working on a system that will allow seat assignments on partner flights, still in limited beta
one example,
Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Related thread: Finding the partner flight PNR

AC - Air Canada seat assignments when booked with UA
TG - Thai Airlines seat assignments when booked with UA
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
LX - No Swiss advance economy seat selection with United ticket stock
Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Seat assignments need to (generally) done on the operating carrier's website.
  • You will need the operating carrier's PNR (note for the LH Group, UA's PNR will work)
  • You can get the operating carrier's PNR from your UA reservation, by calling UA or by calling the operating carrier.
  • Additionally, you likely will need passenger's name info -- this can be tricky for some as various parts of the name, middle name, suffix, prefix, .. can be concatenated.
  • Some carriers charge for seat assignments and if the flight is a UA codeshare this may create a problem
  • The seat assignment may not be reflected on the UA reservation
  • If the above does not work, some have has success calling or tweeting the operating carrier
Print Wikipost

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cheltzel
If it is an Amadeus booking can you use the CheckMyTrip app?
LH Group bookings (booked with LH Group directly) don't work with CMT anymore, unfortunately (haven't worked for several months now, LH denies access to their bookings).

Even if you could access the booking in CMT, how would you change the seat assignment there? That would be new to me.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by goliath
LH Group bookings (booked with LH Group directly) don't work with CMT anymore, unfortunately (haven't worked for several months now, LH denies access to their bookings).

Even if you could access the booking in CMT, how would you change the seat assignment there? That would be new to me.
I discovered it when I has having issues on a SA booking last summer. I couldn't change seats or enter my MP number in the reservation using the SA website. I called SA reservations and they were extremely uncooperative..

I tried CMT and was able to change seats, enter my MP number and do OLCI via CMT on my SA bookings. Never tried it before and haven't had an Amadeus booking since so YMMV.
goliath likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:42 pm

Booking ANA business class via united.com

I'm looking at future 2018 dates (SJC-NRT on ANA) and while I see saver business awards available, when I go to Seats it says the following:

" Advance seat assignments are not available on united.com for this flight.
Please see an airport agent during check-in to receive your seat assignment.

1) Will I really not be able to get seats until check-in time?
2) How can I ensure SO and I get seats together?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Once the reservation has ticketed, your PNR on United.com should have a reference to the ANA PNR. Call NH and request seats using the PNR.

It's very unusual for one airline to be able to assign seats on another - you need to work directly with the operating carrier.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:52 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

Does TSA precheck carryover from my UA account to the ANA reservation?

(I know that TSA precheck for ANA was JUST announced, but wondering how booking a star alliance flight via united.com worked in general, as far as TSA precheck carryover)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You can get ANA seats on ANA's website using the ANA PNR after booking.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
You don't even need to call NH. Once you get your UA confirmation you can "View Additional Conf #s " and do it on the NH website. I love the SJC-NRT service, I'll be doing it for the 3rd time this December. I'm not sure about NH PreCheck but at SJC I have never seen normal security long, plus you'll be able to at least use the Premium lane. You should be able to enter your GE # if you have it on your NH reservation page.

Note that on NH J there are no "honey moon" seats in the middle section. You're going to be divided with the side table.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by mduell
You can get ANA seats on ANA's website using the ANA PNR after booking.
It depends on if it was ticketed with the UA codeshare number or the ANA number. If it was ticketed as an ANA flight, then you can modify it on-line. If it was ticketed with the UA codeshare, you need to call in.

To the OP, check ANA online with the flights you plan to book with United and see what the current seating charts are showing. If you're choosing between different ANA flights, and want to increase the odds of getting two seats together, that will help. Then, once UA tickets the flight, you can make your seat assignments on-line or call in.

ANA phone agents are pretty good. Their English is better than what you get with UA's offshore call centers and being Japanese, they are very polite.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
IIRC correctly every NH award I've had uses NH flight #s . I'm pretty sure it's that way across most *A carriers on an MP award.
If OP is talking about next spring I would bet big that there's plenty of seats to choose from in the middle 2 together.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
IIRC correctly every NH award I've had uses NH flight #s . I'm pretty sure it's that way across most *A carriers on an MP award.
*A award seats are always on native flight numbers. It's not possible to book an award on a codeshare flight.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
Swiss on 016

I have a flight booked UA codeshare on Swiss from LAX-ZRH in business and can’t seem to book seats.
swiss website says it’s operated by another airline(false), presumably because the UA flight number. UA says it can’t assign seats because it’s operated by another airline (true).
whats a guy to do?
in paid business class as a 1k if it makes any difference.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Have you called LX?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I don't want to cross post. See my post on the FlyerTalk LH forum regarding getting seat assignments on award flights. Easy. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...-merged-4.html

Last edited by hughw; Nov 30, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatetoComercial
I have a flight booked UA codeshare on Swiss from LAX-ZRH in business and can’t seem to book seats.
swiss website says it’s operated by another airline(false), presumably because the UA flight number. UA says it can’t assign seats because it’s operated by another airline (true).
whats a guy to do?
in paid business class as a 1k if it makes any difference.
that can never be done on the website. Call or use the web contact form (that is what I always do). They can assign seats in C, F but will not in Y.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
Thanks. After a little hold time, they were able to assign me seats for all segments... sad 1k’s have to pay for thrones (especially on a UA flight number)...but will try again at the airport.

Originally Posted by cfischer
that can never be done on the website. Call or use the web contact form (that is what I always do). They can assign seats in C, F but will not in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.