Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

I booked SFO-DEL (UA) returning HYD-SFO (LH). About a week ago, Lufthansa apparently moved to a model of charging customers $35 for advanced seat selection. After receiving my LH booking code on the UA website, was easily able to retrieve my booking. Through a freak of nature I was able to select a seat for BOM-FRA, but then the seat selector locked out for the subsequent flight.

Today I called LH to learn that the paid advanced seat selection is only available to customers on LH ticket stock.

With the new PQD requirement it's obviously advantageous to put a split or LH itinerary on 016 tickets.

Has anyone found a way to preselect LH seats (other than buying a super expensive ticket).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 8, 2014 at 4:43 am Reason: important detail was missing in thread title
Old May 7, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, OK, I see, this policy change started last year at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...h-bischof.html .

The latest development is:

Originally Posted by oliver2002
ASR for longhaul is now only possible against a 25€/segment fee if you are booked in 'cheap' economy (W, S, T, L & K fares) eff 28APR14. SEN/HON is free, companions not.
Makes sense that LH having only introduced this a week ago (paying fees to reserve seats in advance on longhaul coach trips on cheap fares) might not have yet figured out how to capture the revenue for people not on LH ticket stock.

Recommendation: buy a V fare or higher and call and pre-select seats; OR just suck it up and choose exit row seats at approx. T-24 to T-48 when OLCI opens up.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Wow, OK, I see, this policy change started last year at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...h-bischof.html .

The latest development is:

Makes sense that LH having only introduced this a week ago (paying fees to reserve seats in advance on longhaul coach trips on cheap fares) might not have yet figured out how to capture the revenue for people not on LH ticket stock.

Recommendation: buy a V fare or higher and call and pre-select seats; OR just suck it up and choose exit row seats at approx. T-24 to T-48 when OLCI opens up.
It goes deeper than not capturing revenue - it's about pissing off UA's elites. I could have flown this itinerary on a BA dreamliner. If I would like to make 1K, I'll likely need these miles and the few PQDs as well. I must say that I've had good experiences on US and DL, and this kind of thing gets me to question the *A benefits.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stevneil
It goes deeper than not capturing revenue - it's about pissing off UA's elites. I could have flown this itinerary on a BA dreamliner. If I would like to make 1K, I'll likely need these miles and the few PQDs as well. I must say that I've had good experiences on US and DL, and this kind of thing gets me to question the *A benefits.
BA would charge non-elites for advance seat assignments, too. Though OneWorld does have more passenger friendly policies here, as BA would extend to to OW elites the same seat selection benefits granted to their own elites. *A does not offer a similar formal benefit.

Although I will say that LH has treated me very well as a UA *G, including advance assigning me exit row seats without charge.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
BA would charge non-elites for advance seat assignments, too. Though OneWorld does have more passenger friendly policies here, as BA would extend to to OW elites the same seat selection benefits granted to their own elites.
I've had a bunch of pain as a oneworld sapphire / airberlin gold member getting advance seat assignments on BA; for some reason the BA Web site wouldn't assign seats for free, and phone agents were maybe 50% OK with it / 50% of the time made up a rule saying that it wasn't free for oneworld sapphire members (which contravenes the published benefits). This silly "system doesn't work quite right in your crazy corner case" scenario that we see on UA can happen on any carrier

*A does not offer a similar formal benefit.

Although I will say that LH has treated me very well as a UA *G, including advance assigning me exit row seats without charge.
Huh, I've never asked LH for advance exit row seats seats as a UA*G, didn't know that that might work. I am pretty sure I have seen adjacent-seat blocking from LH as a UA*G.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

BA would charge non-elites for advance seat assignments, too. Though OneWorld does have more passenger friendly policies here, as BA would extend to to OW elites the same seat selection benefits granted to their own elites. *A does not offer a similar formal benefit.

The policy changed about a week ago. It's not the $35 fee - the point is that if you're not on LH ticket stock, there is no way to pay the fee. There were also $90 premium (exit row seats), which again there is no way to pay for on the cheaper booking codes.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The policy changed about a week ago. It's not the $35 fee - the point is that if you're not on LH ticket stock, there is no way to pay the fee. There were also $90 premium (exit row seats), which again there is no way to pay for on the cheaper booking codes.
Have we confirmed it's not the booking code but the ticket stock?
Old May 7, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
BA would charge non-elites for advance seat assignments, too. Though OneWorld does have more passenger friendly policies here, as BA would extend to to OW elites the same seat selection benefits granted to their own elites...
While I agree that OW is much more elite friendly than the *A ... BA does not honour seat assignments. So the benefit is mere vapour ware. Any demanding parent or demanding other pax who "needs to sit together" can boot you from your seat @BA. A week ago on SYD-SIN, I got booted twice on a single segment. Once upon dropping my bags at the airport and then again at the gate. You get at very best a snarky comment a la "that is was necessary".

This year I have been re-seated on the majority of my segments on BA.
The policy changed about a week ago. It's not the $35 fee - the point is that if you're not on LH ticket stock, there is no way to pay the fee..
It's the code share, not the ticket stock right?

LH's IT system absolutely cannot handle code shares and you are literally ground until the moment of physical check in at the airport.

UA used to be able to book LH segments as LH flight numbers on 016 ticket stock ... but I haven't tried these things in aeons.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well it sounds like an LH IT limitation. I'm sure they would be delighted to take your money if their systems would allow it

Note that there have been quite a few problems lately with seat selection on LH. seat-assignments-lufthansa-com.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Have we confirmed it's not the booking code but the ticket stock?
That's what they said - the seat selection fee is electronically attached to the ticket, and will not work with non LH ticket stock
Old May 8, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: UA, AS, HA, MM, HHonors Gold, Global Entry
I just booked UA-LH-TG on F.
Use the thaiairways.com website with the LH booking code.
You can pick seats there.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by DesertFox62
I just booked UA-LH-TG on F.
Use the thaiairways.com website with the LH booking code.
You can pick seats there.
The issue is with selecting seats on Lufthansa for longhaul coach travel. Did you use the Thai Airways site to select seats on a LH Y segment?
Old May 8, 2014, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You get what you pay for. Economy tix, purchased through partner, no dice. Next time book on LH ticket.

I know it is not any consolation but BA is even worse. When I had BA Bronze status I could only reserve my seat 7 days in advance unless I paid a fee. For business class no less!
Old May 8, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: UA, AS, HA, MM, HHonors Gold, Global Entry
Sorry, the LH segment is F on mine. Didn't see that you were trying LH Y.
I don't know if seats selections work with LH Y, on Thai's website? Anyone try it?
Old May 8, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Their online seat selection has been FUBAR for a while now. I called two days ago and got a free seat selection with an S fare on United stock FRA-ORD. Try calling LH in the US. You may get a friendly agent like I did.

Last edited by astroflyer; May 13, 2014 at 11:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.