Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

i have 2 legs on my return trip from HK to US is united but operated by ANA, does anyone know how can I pick seat online? since i cannot do that on united website
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There are many threads in the UA forum about this topic that can help you out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=unit...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Originally Posted by lleung1980
i have 2 legs on my return trip from HK to US is united but operated by ANA, does anyone know how can I pick seat online? since i cannot do that on united website
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:32 pm

operated by ANA, does anyone know how can I pick seat online?
Call ANA. They will allow you to select a seat.
Their Hong Kong number is +852 2810-7100.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If this question s half as common outside of FT as it is inside FT, maybe United should consider posting instructions as to how to do this when they sell you a codeshare ticket. Something small like ...

"For seat reservations, contact ANA at US (800-xxx-xxxx), HK (xxx-xxxx-xxxx). Make sure to have your United confirmation number before calling."

... having the phone number for both the origin and the destination numbers provided.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:57 am

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Originally Posted by phkc070408
If this question s half as common outside of FT as it is inside FT, maybe United should consider posting instructions as to how to do this when they sell you a codeshare ticket. Something small like ...

"For seat reservations, contact ANA at US (800-xxx-xxxx), HK (xxx-xxxx-xxxx). Make sure to have your United confirmation number before calling."

... having the phone number for both the origin and the destination numbers provided.
If you have the ANA confirmation number which is usually available on www.united.com, you can go to ANA's website and use the confirmation number to locate your record then choose the seat. The only drawback I think is that the online seat selection tool might have some seats blocked (e.g. some of the good seats) for ANA's elite members or *G members, which could be booked if you call ANA directly and verify your *G status.
FlyingNone and In2ishn like this.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA vs NW
If you have the ANA confirmation number which is usually available on www.united.com, you can go to ANA's website and use the confirmation number to locate your record then choose the seat. The only drawback I think is that the online seat selection tool might have some seats blocked (e.g. some of the good seats) for ANA's elite members or *G members, which could be booked if you call ANA directly and verify your *G status.
Unless things have changed recently, this is only the case if the ANA flight is marketed by them and not a UA codeshare. If a UA codeshare, the only way to get assigned seats is to call ANA. You can not go into the record online (until online checkin). Agents are pretty good though, though there is often short gold times (though not anything like AC).
superEGO likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
You can't. Call ANA on the phone.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You can't. Call ANA on the phone.
Disagree that's it's not possible at all. I had no problem going to ANA's website for an award ticket purchased on UA's and ticketed as an 016 using the ANA confirmation # UA supplied.

Maybe you meant depends on class of service and/or codeshare? Mine was F booked with NH flight #.
FlyingNone and In2ishn like this.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I never had success to choose sest on NH web for UA codeshare,award or revenue, F/C or Y, never! Just call them.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by garkster
Disagree that's it's not possible at all. I had no problem going to ANA's website for an award ticket purchased on UA's and ticketed as an 016 using the ANA confirmation # UA supplied.
Originally Posted by tomwhom
I never had success to choose sest on NH web for UA codeshare,award or revenue, F/C or Y, never! Just call them.
I think the reports of success are all on awards, which get ticketed under native NH flight number.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: ua
First time posting here....

Just bought a ticket with two NH segments, one with NH flight # and one with UA codeshare #. Had to call to get seat for the latter.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by garkster

Maybe you meant depends on class of service and/or codeshare? Mine was F booked with NH flight #.
The difference is that an award ticket has a NH flight number. It doesn't matter what ticket stock it's on. Codeshares have a UA flight number and seats can not be chosen online until online check in opens just before departure.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
UA ticket, NH flight number, in low-fare Y: no issues selecting ANA seats on the ANA website. (Revenue ticket)
UA ticket, UA flight number, low-mid fare Y: couldn't select ANA seats on the website. (Also a revenue ticket)

(In both cases I had a valid ANA record locator, only difference was codeshare vs NH flight number.)

The first ticket (NH flight numbers) was bought through united.com, it was a R/T with stopover, the first flight was UA operated - i.e. UA+NH+NH/NH/NH+UA. The second ticket was booked from egencia, an open jaw (different origin vs destination), operated by NH+NH/NH+UA.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:46 pm

Had no trouble at all to reserve seats on ANA's site for the middle leg of UA-NH-UA on NH flight number booked on ua.com paid (W) fare.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Also no trouble here on a UA-ticketed, wholly NH-coded/operated itinerary starting this weekend. It's intra-Asia but that shouldn't matter.

Can use the NH PNR from United.com and select seats, check-in, etc. using ANA.com.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.