Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't Trust United (regarding posted cause of flight delay)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't Trust United (regarding posted cause of flight delay)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...parture-2.html

See post 75. This is an IT shortcoming (and a pretty significant one since customer facing) and not nefarious. Internal systems apparently reflect the correct delay reason.
It's a bit nefarious if the PAX then don't know to request compensation.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - Passing for a minute the apparent tenor of this thread to the effect that UA's senior management flies around in black helicopters concocting lies to tell pax about the reasons for delays, it may sometimes be helpful to consider:

1. There are many occasions when there are many reasons for a delay. Even the reasons such as WX can have many variations (at depature, enroute or destination). Thus, even the "it's clear and sunny here at xxx and UA is lying because the website says WX" crowd simply don't get it.

2. Delay reasons on the website, GDS and other customer-facing means are limited to a couple of characters. But, all that really matters is that the fact of the delay is known. The "real" reason may be multiple and may not even really be known until after the flight departs and all the pieces are considered.

3. Here, it seems relatively simply based on the few facts (as opposed to who thinks they saw what). A) The aircraft was held due to WX at destination. Alternative is to let the aircraft go on time and hold over SFO. That wastes fuel, creates needless risk and doesn't get the pax to their destination any faster. B) The aircraft also had a MX. But, that didn't cause the delay because it was repaired prior to the permitted departure time anyway. C) Despite the various delays, the aircraft only landed 58 mins. late.

4. So, after all the ranting, we have a TCON on the gate at arrival less than an hour delayed.

Sounds to me that the OPS folks spent their time working on a fix and a reroute which made up for lost time, not on conspiring to lie to OP by making up fake delay codes.
How dare you post on FT with your sickening sense of reality and non-hyperbole
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Why does UA lie about delays?

I'm waiting on UA 225 UAD-SFO. It's delayed over an hour and I looked at where its coming from to see what's really likely. Turns out the A/C is on its way to FLL and is expected to depart 25 minutes after departing. Then it's expected to depart IAD 25 minutes after arriving. They're not southwest, I've never seen any UA mainline aircraft turn around in anything like that. Maybe double that . . . It's impossible, why do they build that assumption into their delay estimates? They end up with these rolling delays that make them look ridiculous as reality asserts itself. I've been conditioned to just add at least an hour to anything they say, and get annoyed in the process. Don't they understand the notion of under promising and over delivering?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA MM
This drives me nuts too! Better to be honest about the delay and let folks deal with it rather than keep rolling it back... and back... and back...
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I've been conditioned to just add at least an hour to anything they say, and get annoyed in the process. Don't they understand the notion of under promising and over delivering?
Think out of the box: tail swap. Dispatchers have the discretion to sub one a/c for another. It doesn't happen all the time, but it shouldn't be news when it does.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There might be an argument to be made that they're failing to comply with ~2011 DOT Passenger Protections.

Requiring prompt notification of delays of over 30 minutes, as well as cancellations and diversions.

A DOT inquiry might help them 'reassess communication policy.'
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
It's not going to make you feel any better but AA is just as bad.
An inbound is delayed and scheduled to arrive 20 minutes before the outbound sked time. Yet, the outbound will still show ON TIME.
Then there is the wonderful creeping delay. On a DFW-SJC flight last year, I recall receiving 8 separate email updates, each tacking on an additional 15 minutes to the new departure time.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Seems to happen at ORD more than any of their other airports.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
What's surprising about it - this is the new UA!

Can't tell you how many times I've been sitting at the gate at departure time, the plane isn't even there yet, and the flight still isn't showing a delay! (Those of us who flew PMCO are used to this.)

Heck, remember the Unimatic shutdown last Nov 15th? As I posted back then, my flight was still showing on-time despite the inbound plane having an estimated arrial one hour after my scheduled departure. (The eventual delay on pushback for my flight was more than 5 hours, btw.)

The lack of communication from UA is particularly annoying for those of us who have UC memberships who could otherwise wait longer in the club.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
That doesn't sound like anything unique to CO. Just flew BA, and I had a couple of delayed flights. Plane still hadn't arrived, and we reached scheduled departure. Board still showed flight as "on-time" with the original departure time posted. We were delayed 1 hour
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
That doesn't sound like anything unique to CO. Just flew BA, and I had a couple of delayed flights. Plane still hadn't arrived, and we reached scheduled departure. Board still showed flight as "on-time" with the original departure time posted. We were delayed 1 hour
True, but PMUA was much better than UA is about updating delay times/statuses. They weren't perfect, but if the inbound flight wasn't even due to land until after it's next scheduled departure, PMUA always IME at least had a delay recorded. These days, the scheduled departure time seems to come and pass routinely with the flight still showing "on time."

That makes it hard to judge when to leave the Club as well as (sometimes) making it a challenge to be proactive with reaccommodation. I've had agents tell me several times, "Your flight is still on time..." and I have to show them that the inbound makes that impossible before they'll even consider putting me on alternate flights.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by joshwex90
That doesn't sound like anything unique to CO.
If this was in response to my post, there is absolutely no language within that even suggests it is "unique to CO".

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 11, 2013 at 8:17 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
haha i don't know if anyone was at IAD yesterday because of the storm in NYC, but it was a mess this morning. i was rerouted and delayed and canceled at IAD and early this morning i was trying to take the 7:30A flight to EWR. at the gate every few minutes we could hear the GA calling asking where the crew is. they announced to the passengers that they were waiting on the crew. nobody knew where the crew was. once the crew got there they were talking about crew scheduling issues and trying to hash out where the planes are going. 2.5 hour delay. i looked online, ua.com had the delay listed as weather.

sigh.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
UA Misinformation on flight delays

This morning UA1156 was loaded and the door closed for an ontime departure. For the next thirty minutes or so, baggage or mail or cargo was loaded onto the plane. Captain explained this was the situation. I would estimate the pushback as about 8:40 instead of 8:04. Arrived ORD late--Flight Status says the delay was 21 minutes "Airport conditions preventing departure." And as for the 2:25 arrival; don't know exactly when the jetway door opened, but it was later than that. Lots of pax frantic about misconnects.

What percentage of the Flight Status posts are accurate in their explanation of delays--and of actual arrival times??

Flyer 420
in Chicago
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Flightstats has UA1156 SEA-ORD 15 Nov 2013

•Actual Gate Departure Changed To 11/15/13 08:36 AM
•Actual Runway Departure Changed To 11/15/13 08:52 AM

•Actual Runway Arrival Changed To 11/15/13 02:14 PM
•Actual Gate Arrival Changed To 11/15/13 02:25 PM

this the real time data and the data used for ontime stats. Delays in the jetway and door opening are not included.

"Airport conditions preventing departure" is not a WX report but rather suggesting operational issues -- which sound like what you reported.

what is inaccurate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.