Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't Trust United (regarding posted cause of flight delay)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't Trust United (regarding posted cause of flight delay)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
You can send a complain to UA and maybe get some miles back.

On the bright side, UA didn't blame WX for once so it's possible to get a compensation.
Originally Posted by TA
I don't disagree that they should correctly represent the cause of the delay. But what practical injury did she suffer from it being classified incorrectly that you're unhappy about? Compensation?

Please re-read post. Nothing remotely is stated about wanting or referencing compensation. The thread is about wanting to provide another data point about inaccurate reporting and sharing such information with a community that one would reasonably expect to be receptive without gratuitous personal attacks. Perhaps this thread should be merged with the other thread that deals with inaccurate reporting as mentioned in another post.

MOD: Please move as appropriate

Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe the better solution is to simply announce the delay and not try to categorize these things in 2-word codes for monitors and the like. The passenger doesn't have to fly the plane and it gets to the destination when it gets there.

Here, aircraft apparently arrived 51 mins. late. Much ado about less than nothing.
I agree: in this case, not a big deal. It's the pattern that is important. Additionally, I have, for example, lost a day of flying due to inaccurate reporting that in that example could have been completely avoided had UA been more forthright and accurate. That is not the only example, and I am sure I am not alone.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The point is that whether the delay was 51 minutes or 3 hours, there was a delay. The underlying cause is irrelevant unless you are a mechanic trying to figure out whether a part needs to be replaced.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Why does UA change delay reasons ?

Todays DEN NRT delayed due to bag loading
and flight status page said "delay due to aircraft preparation"

Once airplane departed
flight status page it was changed to "delay due to late arriving crew"

Partner on flight said door closed early and
captain said waiting for bags
What benefit is it for UA to change the delay when it not true?

Last edited by boycruz; Feb 10, 2015 at 5:30 pm Reason: clarification
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by boycruz
What benefit is it for UA to change the delay when it not true?
In most cases they are changing the delay reason to avoid liability. The usual scenario would be something like this.

1. You're on plane waiting to push. The Captain comes on to say that they have a few warning lights on and the mechanics have been called to check it out.

2. 45 min later, mechanics arrive, say they need a part, it will take 60 min to install, and you should be on the way just after that.

3. An hour comes and goes, eventually the captain says we are ready to go, but now there is a storm coming in, and they have to wait for flow reasons.

4. You eventually get to your destination 4hrs late, you've missed your connection and there are no other flights. You ask the agent for a hotel due to the fact that the cause of the problem was mechanical.

5. Agent says they delay was due to weather and therefore United is not liable.

You are SOL. While you can fight it for weeks, unless you have some insider access that can show they were lying, they'll give you nothing.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1M, AA EXP
Here is another example - 48 from EWR to BOM on 2/11 delayed 1:20. Reason on UA web site states "Delayed due to waiting for the arrival of a late inbound crew". The irony is that it shows the same flight "returned to gate" as well (which 99% of the time is MX related). What happened? Did they forget one of the crew and didn't realize that until the door closed / aircraft pulled away from the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.