Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Consolidated connection time/logistics at AMS
Amsterdam (AMS) Lounge - Star Alliance
The Star Alliance Lounge at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, the latest addition to the Star Alliance lounge line up, located in the Schengen area, offers a contemporary design with uniquely Dutch details where guests are invited to sit back and relax or make use of the sophisticated workspaces.
The serviced bar offers offers guests a wide range of drinks and refreshments in the afternoons and evenings, while the kitchen and buffet offer a range of hot and cold meal options with a local twist..
Non-schengen lounge
Swissport’s Aspire 41 lounge (contracted lounge -- used by UA)
Opening hours: DAILY 06:00-23:00

Other options
Print Wikipost

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you look at the United Club page, you can look for lounges available for United passengers at various airports. In this case, Swissport’s Aspire 41 lounge seems to be the one.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by correction
Do United business class travelers have access to a lounge in Amsterdam? If so, which one?
Yes, it's numbered "lounge 41" as was previously mentioned. Fairly standard fare, although I've only been there in the mornings. A slight walk from the UA gates (say 10 mins?), which the agents at check-in seem good at pointing out.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by hoshattack
Yes, it's numbered "lounge 41" as was previously mentioned. Fairly standard fare, although I've only been there in the mornings. A slight walk from the UA gates (say 10 mins?), which the agents at check-in seem good at pointing out.
I don't think it takes that long. It's a 2-3 minute walk from the D gates area, and most UA flights leave from the beginning of D - e.g. AMS to EWR usually go out at D2.

Note the back of the lounge can only be used by pax with SQ tickets.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Aspire lounge 41 is mediocre... crowded, OK booze, limited food selection, decent views and pay-in showers (€17 IIRC).

I’m not a huge fan of Schiphol. I much prefer connecting in EU at MUC or ZRH.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EWR764
I’m not a huge fan of Schiphol. I much prefer connecting in EU at MUC or ZRH.
Same. Not a fan of the airport at all, at least as a *A passenger. Maybe it is better for KLM and DL flyers.

MUC is the best, LHR is very good too in my experiences. Vienna is nice too, and I've heard good things about ZRH.

FRA, while not as physically nice as LHR T2 or MUC, is usually not hard to transfer at and has good lounges.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UAL250
Same. Not a fan of the airport at all, at least as a *A passenger. Maybe it is better for KLM and DL flyers.
If one id a ST pax, connecting at AMS is marginally easier (better lounges) but still comparable to LH/FRA insofar as the operation is huge, spread out over multiple concourses, and can require very long walks. I like the centralized security screening checkpoint for AMS transfer pax.

The Crown Lounges are the best at AMS, but IMO do not compare favorably to Biz/SEN lounges at EU hubs or the *A lounge portfolio at LHR. Lounges at major connecting hubs are one area where SkyTeam lags *A/OW, in my view.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Schipol should open a "coffee shop", and then I wouldn't worry about a lounge...
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
AMS arrival lounge?

Flying on UA 20 soon and I'm looking for an arrival lounge in AMS to get a shower. Is there anything like this available? Aer Lingus has a great arrival lounge in DUB and I am looking for something similar.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by correction
Flying on UA 20 soon and I'm looking for an arrival lounge in AMS to get a shower. Is there anything like this available? ....
UA disbanded it European arrivals program (had used mostly airport hotels) a number of years ago, BusinessFirst Arrivals in Europe (discontinued)

elsewhere it is reported
Fitness - The Sheraton Fitness & Spa offers a day pass that allows you unlimited use of gym, sauna and rainforest showers, steam room and spa area. Located: landside between Schiphol Plaza and the World Trade Centre. Rate: EUR 20. Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week. * The sauna and steam room are not available between 11:00AM - 6:00PM.

Shower - There are a few areas in the terminal where you can enjoy a shower:
» Mercure Hotel - Location: Airside, Lounge 3, Upper Level, piers F, G and H (opposite KLM Crown Lounge). Rate: € 19,50 (including towels and toiletries).
» Yotel - Location: Airside, Lounge 2, Upper Level, piers D and E (opposite the M&M’s store). Two shower cabins are available. Rates: € 15.00 for up to 1 hour (including towels and toiletries).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I'd love to see a STAR Alliance lounge in AMS. The current setup for UA is crap I think. The place is way to small and you have SQ that blocks off a good chunk of seating in the lounge for only SQ passengers. A couple in front of me last time while checking in was turned away using PP b/c they didn't have a reservation and there were no seats available.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I'd love to see a STAR Alliance lounge in AMS. The current setup for UA is crap I think. The place is way to small and you have SQ that blocks off a good chunk of seating in the lounge for only SQ passengers. A couple in front of me last time while checking in was turned away using PP b/c they didn't have a reservation and there were no seats available.
Totally agree! It is not just UA, but LH/OS/LX/SQ/TK as well. AMS used to be an airport that was ahead of others, now it is one of the those airports I dread using.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Gold
Arrive AMS from Polaris, is there a connecting lounge to use at AMS?

I had very last minute changes to an award ticket flying from MCI to JRO. today, instead of flying via Chicago on ET we are now on UA from MCI EWR AMS in business. After a 3 1/ 2 hour layover in Amsterdam we continue on KLM in coach to JRO. Is there a lounge in Amsterdam we will be able to use? I wasn't planning on this flight path so I'm not sure about AMS facilities for UA Polaris pax.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Go to (or download) https://www.loungebuddy.com/, enter in your details, and it'll help answer your question based on airline status, ticket/fare, and credit cards you might carry.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
For some reason, I don't think that you will have access to a lounge on arrival as all the lounges there are third party contract lounges and not owned by United or Star Alliance. If you were continuing on a Star Alliance airline in Business or Economy (if Star Gold member), then you would have access to a contract lounge.

I think that your only option to get access to a lounge would be the KLM one if you manage to get an upgrade offer.

If you have an American Express Platinum card, their website mentions the Aspire Lounge.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Aug 29, 2018 at 7:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.