Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated AMS connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Hello
I am looking at award ticket ORD-AMS-SIN with first segment on United and the second on Singapore airlines.
The layover in AMS is 1 hour 10 mins. We are 2 adults and 2 kids. Is this a risky connection? I tried to find out if both united and singapore operate out of the same terminal. Wikipedia says that they both are "G" gate.
Also, I am going to book from two different mileage accounts. So two different PNRs. If there is any delay and I miss the flight, will different PNRs create another level of complexity?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Shouldn't be a problem, since this is all outside passport control and within the Star Alliance. They say 40 minutes is the minimum connection time you'd want, but obviously that's pushing it.

If you're on time, absolutely no problem imho, even with family.

[Edit: Sorry -- missed the PNR issue. Not enough coffee this morning]

Last edited by johnmont; Sep 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
AMS is a great airport for connections;
1 hour and 10 minutes should be no problem as long as UA is on time.
Since you scheduled on two separate PNRs you realize that UA may not check you in in ORD; you can ask them to check your luggage through and they usually agree.
I guess you could check in on line for the SQ flight.
If you miss the connection and you are flying on 2 separate PNRs, UA has no obligation to help you since their service ended in AMS and SQ has no obligation since you did not show up for the flight.
Again, if everything works well, you will have enough time and it is usually a quick transfer without immigration intervention.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are the two PNRs ORD-AMS and AMS-SIN or just the four passengers split two and two on ORD-SIN? The latter would be many fewer points.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:20 pm

The EWR flight arrives at AMS a few hours earlier than the ORD flight, so you could check ORD-EWR-AMS as well if you're concerned about your connection time (which could be a problem indeed if the flights from the US are delayed).
Old Sep 23, 2012, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Are the two PNRs ORD-AMS and AMS-SIN or just the four passengers split two and two on ORD-SIN? The latter would be many fewer points.
good question
I do not have enough miles in one account for 4 passengers. So it is ORD-AMS-SIN in two separate PNRs for 2 persons each.
I am now more confident in booking the award based on the responses. Thank you all.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vsreeniv
good question
I do not have enough miles in one account for 4 passengers. So it is ORD-AMS-SIN in two separate PNRs for 2 persons each.
I am now more confident in booking the award based on the responses. Thank you all.
Based on this I wouldn't sweat it at all. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
You should have no problem going East Bound. With favorable winds, your 1hr10min connection could easily be 1hr 30min. Plus like a prior post said, you don't need to go thru passport control. enjoy your trip
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Flying from CPH-AMS on SK, then onto UA from AMS-ORD-MSP (Baggage, Connecting, etc)

I have an upcoming connection through AMS, 2 different tickets. I'm flying from CPH-AMS on SK, then onto UA from AMS-ORD-MSP. I have 90 minutes between flights, but they were purchased on separate itineraries (had to book it this way to guarantee my SWUs clearing).

I'm assuming that I can check bags at CPH all the way to my final destination, since it's all on *A. If that's correct, will 90 minutes be sufficient at AMS to get from the SK arrival gates to the UA (E&F, right) departure gates, pass immigration and further security? Having been to AMS before, it seems like a pretty efficient place and I should be fine.

thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 14, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reason: thread title too vague and also did not match topic of post
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:46 pm

Provided that you can check your luggage through then you should not have any problems. I have done it in less time, however, I had carry on only.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
It is completely dependent on SK agreeing to check your bag all the way through, which they *should* do but are not technically obliged to. You'll need to make sure you have a printout of your UA itinerary and ask (not demand) that they check your bags all the way to MSP.

You won't know for sure how tight you'll be for time until you leave CPH.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
You will need to exit EU in AMS, which will delay you some. Your CPH>AMS flight being in EU will but you on the wrong side of customs. You still have enough time if they are late and you dont doodle around.

s
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by swixo
You will need to exit EU in AMS, which will delay you some. Your CPH>AMS flight being in EU will but you on the wrong side of customs. You still have enough time if they are late and you dont doodle around.

s
Thanks everyone. I'll try to carry on only to avoid any potential issues with luggage. If they can check my bag straight through at CPH, I'll let them do so. I've never had anything but excellent service at CPH from the SAS check in people, even when they were checking me in for FI with a bicycle to check!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by sfo_oak
I have an upcoming connection through AMS, 2 different tickets. I'm flying from CPH-AMS on SK, then onto UA from AMS-ORD-MSP. I have 90 minutes between flights, but they were purchased on separate itineraries (had to book it this way to guarantee my SWUs clearing).
What does this have to do with SWU upgrade clearance? They could just apply a SWU to the UA portion of the tickets. Or am I missing something?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer
What does this have to do with SWU upgrade clearance? They could just apply a SWU to the UA portion of the tickets. Or am I missing something?
Yes, you are right, but the issue was the SK legs required a 24 hour ticketing period, and for one of my flights, there was only one SWU seat left that I could reserve at the time of booking. I didn't want to lose the seat, so that's why I did it this way.

I think I'll be ok with carryon only, so shouldn't be an issue. Unless my Danish friends order too many things for me to bring over! If so, they can bring my second suitcase back to me this summer when they come visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.