Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

787 Domestic Schedule/Routes *UPDATE POST 452 [26 OCT]*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 Domestic Schedule/Routes *UPDATE POST 452 [26 OCT]*

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
What happens if these flights that people are booking get cancelled? Refund because the 787 gets cancelled? I see people doing turns from IAH, but what if the 787 gets cancelled. Will UA refund?

Also, remember first flights will occur before Nov 4th.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
What happens if these flights that people are booking get cancelled? Refund because the 787 gets cancelled? I see people doing turns from IAH, but what if the 787 gets cancelled. Will UA refund?
Well at least for me the 11/4 IAH-ORD-IAH same day turn is award, so if no 787 or cancelled, I will cancel as well and won't cost me a dime, I have 11/5 that is a paid ticket as back up to go back home in ORD anyway.

I don't know why you keep saying first flight, the first flight will be in september anyway like someone already mentioned, but it is not a revenue flight and only UA executives can get on anyway, so it is a moot point.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 1, 2012 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My booking is on an itinerary I need to fly anyway, so an equipment change, while disappointing, won't change my travel plans.

I really don't care about "first flights". Unless one's occupation is test pilot, it's unlikely that no one has ever flown in the plane before.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards

I booked a trip (for mid November) because I want to experience United's 787 BusinessFirst product. I figure itll be cheaper to do this on one of the domestic segments rather than on an international route several months later. So although it won't be the inaugural flight, it'll still be a flight on a new 787, which hopefully will be an awesome experience!

If the equipment changes, I'll cancel and get my refund. It's one of the perks of a full fare F ticket.

ERQ
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:26 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond

I doubt it. Equipment changes happen all the time & it's not guaranteed. You can always buy refundable fares, though. However, it's probably cheaper to throw away the nonrefundable ticket & buy another.

LAX
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I bought an MR with 5 UA flights for 11/4 (and 11/5) including 3 flights on the 787.

All 5 upgrades cleared. It seems that I won't get to experience the economy section of the 787

My route:

Just booked a business trip SFO-IAH-MCO on 11/5 and MCO-IAH-SFO on 11/9. So I'll be on your same leg out of SFO, though in Y. Chose to burn my last RPU on the return instead, as outbound it'll be a red-eye and not sure how much I'll get the full experience in the dark...

Also thought the first day or two could be at risk if the rollout is delayed?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
How does one go about requesting extra early boarding to take pictures?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
I booked a trip (for mid November) because I want to experience United's 787 BusinessFirst product. I figure itll be cheaper to do this on one of the domestic segments rather than on an international route several months later. So although it won't be the inaugural flight, it'll still be a flight on a new 787, which hopefully will be an awesome experience!
You know the 787 BusinessFirst product is no different than any other PMCO BusinessFirst product right ? If you are not aiming for the 787 inaugural 11/4 or 11/5, you can fly a much cheaper PMCO 752 with same BusinessFirst seat for ORD-EWR-ORD instead or wait until the fare is lower for the 787 domestic routes, you have several months to try 787 domestically.

We are here just for the inaugural 787 not for the businessfirst product.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I don't know why you keep saying first flight, the first flight will be in september anyway like someone already mentioned, but it is not a revenue flight and only UA executives can get on anyway, so it is a moot point.
People keep saying that because it's per the UA Press Release:
The 787 aircraft will display for sale for these domestic routes on united.com and other distribution channels beginning Sept. 1. In October, United will announce plans for the official first commercial 787 flights, which are expected to occur prior to Nov. 4 but only after proving/validation flights and training are complete.
So while we're flying the 787 on it's first day of scheduled service, there will be an official (TBD) inaugural flight(s) ahead of Nov 4. I interpret the word "commercial" to mean a "revenue" flight. I've seen nowhere that states these flights will not be available for sale. I'd imagine the flights would be an equipment swap on some IAH-hub-IAH and that UA isn't committing to a date yet until they see how training/certification is progressing.

And yes, the physical aircraft will have made many flights before the "first flight". I'm sure the execs will have a ride before the inaugural and scheduled entry into service date. Let's not get silly about the context of the word "first" here
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:17 am

Well at least for me the 11/4 IAH-ORD-IAH same day turn is award, so if no 787 or cancelled, I will cancel as well and won't cost me a dime, I have 11/5 that is a paid ticket as back up to go back home in ORD anyway.

Nov 4th is not the first revenue flight! The press release even says it. Thats why I'm warning you. Nov 4th is just the start of the schedule. Again, press release says it.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:25 am
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Shoot, no more window seats on the 4 November IAH-ORD flight :/
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve64

So while we're flying the 787 on it's first day of scheduled service, there will be an official (TBD) inaugural flight(s) ahead of Nov 4. I interpret the word "commercial" to mean a "revenue" flight. I've seen nowhere that states these flights will not be available for sale. I'd imagine the flights would be an equipment swap on some IAH-hub-IAH and that UA isn't committing to a date yet until they see how training/certification is progressing.

And yes, the physical aircraft will have made many flights before the "first flight". I'm sure the execs will have a ride before the inaugural and scheduled entry into service date. Let's not get silly about the context of the word "first" here
Nov 4th is not the first revenue flight! The press release even says it. Thats why I'm warning you. Nov 4th is just the start of the schedule. Again, press release says it.
Ah ok, thanks for pointing out, I guess I was confused thought that the first flight is the ferry flight not revenue flight. Now if they just do a swap, would still be all those inaugural activities though ?

Now I am wondering if I should just cancel all those and wait for the real inaugural or not.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:28 am

Ah ok, thanks for pointing out, I guess I was confused thought that the first flight is the ferry flight not revenue flight. Now if they just do a swap, would still be all those inaugural activities though ?

Now I am wondering if I should just cancel all those and wait for the real inaugural or not.
Ya. Thats what i'm thinking. But I flew on ANA's 787, so I think I'll just need to be in IAH sometime before Jan.

ANA in coach was great. Very spacious quiet cabin. Not looking forward to 3 3 3 in Y.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Ya. Thats what i'm thinking. But I flew on ANA's 787, so I think I'll just need to be in IAH sometime before Jan.

ANA in coach was great. Very spacious quiet cabin. Not looking forward to 3 3 3 in Y.
i agree, there will probably not much fanfare being a non-inaugural flight. I'll wait
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joony
Shoot, no more window seats on the 4 November IAH-ORD flight :/
I got one of the last ones!

There is still E+ window seats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.