FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 787 Domestic Schedule/Routes *UPDATE POST 452 [26 OCT]*
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:15 am
steve64

Programs: AA Exec Plat / DL-Silver / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I don't know why you keep saying first flight, the first flight will be in september anyway like someone already mentioned, but it is not a revenue flight and only UA executives can get on anyway, so it is a moot point.
People keep saying that because it's per the UA Press Release:
The 787 aircraft will display for sale for these domestic routes on united.com and other distribution channels beginning Sept. 1. In October, United will announce plans for the official first commercial 787 flights, which are expected to occur prior to Nov. 4 but only after proving/validation flights and training are complete.
So while we're flying the 787 on it's first day of scheduled service, there will be an official (TBD) inaugural flight(s) ahead of Nov 4. I interpret the word "commercial" to mean a "revenue" flight. I've seen nowhere that states these flights will not be available for sale. I'd imagine the flights would be an equipment swap on some IAH-hub-IAH and that UA isn't committing to a date yet until they see how training/certification is progressing.

And yes, the physical aircraft will have made many flights before the "first flight". I'm sure the execs will have a ride before the inaugural and scheduled entry into service date. Let's not get silly about the context of the word "first" here