FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Where did you end up on the Final Upgrade List, UA Domestic? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1370975-where-did-you-end-up-final-upgrade-list-ua-domestic.html)

jkburns1 Feb 14, 2013 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Yanks08802 (Post 20245104)
I find myself between 10 and 30 on a regular basis- lots of EWR-IAH flights.

I think any hub flight it's pretty tough to get an upgrade or be even close during biz travel times for a 1k.

I forgot to mention that I'm usually in same 10-25 range for most of my thurs eve EWR-BOS travel as well. (Haven't seen an upgrade since the merger as a 1k on a thurs pm flight home from EWR)

LaserSailor Feb 14, 2013 5:14 am

One thing you are competing with this is companies, like mine, that are authorizing instant upgradeable first fares on certain length flights for biz travel. I want my people to know where they will be when they book so they can plan meals and work well before travel. Paying another 300-400 on a fare for 3-4 hours of productivity is a no brainer for me.

y2k1jetta Feb 14, 2013 5:41 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20244183)
I've complained in the recent past about how upgrades are much harder now for top UA elites, but I have a domestic A320 flight tomorrow to IAH where, as a 1K, I'm 17th on the waitlist for an upgrade. Admittedly, I'm in a cheapo bucket, but 17th? Has any 1K ever been lower?

BTW, the upgrade list is currently 48 names long!

I thought perhaps that it might be some computer glitch assigning me lower status, but I'm taking a connecting flight where I'm #2 on the upgrade list (I probably won't get that one either, but at least it's plausible).

I know Thursdays are big elite travel days, but isn't this a bit crazy? I can't imagine many folks thinking the loyalty was worth it if these are your upgrade odds. It would seem wise to me for UA to go AA's route and at least give 1K's a free meal and alcoholic drink in coach, because that's where they're going to be a lot of the time.

Not too bad, being a Thursday, IAH involved, A320 and for now worlds largest airline with lower capacity. I'd say SMI/J is exceeding all of your expectations. The fact is you are the 17 most valuable person on that flight is an accomplishment. Your flights were on time though, right. That's the most important thing.

karenkay Feb 14, 2013 5:46 am

Originally Posted by y2k1jetta (Post 20245386)
Not too bad, being a Thursday, IAH involved, A320 and for now worlds largest airline with lower capacity. I'd say SMI/J is exceeding all of your expectations. The fact is you are the 17 most valuable person on that flight is an accomplishment. Your flights were on time though, right. That's the most important thing.

you forgot the route network.

bob_the_d Feb 14, 2013 5:50 am

Probably means you're on an elite heavy route and people are buying higher fares. It's kind of annoying, but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. If there are actually a high number of 1K/GS on a plane with 16 seats in F, why shouldn't the person who paid more go before me? I'm on a cheap ticket in coach, it's what I paid for. So likely that's where I'll be sitting.

FreFly Feb 14, 2013 5:57 am

How about 37th on IAD-SFO mid-week, on a 757? Connecting from Europe with a GPU, with the first leg clearing on purchase.

mecabq Feb 14, 2013 6:01 am

17th is nothing. I was much lower the last time I tried to clear JFK-SFO. I can't remember the last time I cleared a wait-list RPU/GPU. I either clear at booking time or figure, forget it.

mherdeg Feb 14, 2013 6:12 am

Originally Posted by todorovic (Post 20245105)
Try 32nd on IAD-SFO last year or 11th using a RPU on SFO-EWR. Both were on A320

Originally Posted by FreFly (Post 20245448)
How about 37th on IAD-SFO mid-week, on a 757? Connecting from Europe with a GPU, with the first leg clearing on purchase.

Do we still think that using an instrument prioritizes you above pax whose upgrades are not instrument-supported?

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 14, 2013 6:20 am

Originally Posted by bob_the_d (Post 20245422)
Probably means you're on an elite heavy route and people are buying higher fares. It's kind of annoying, but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. If there are actually a high number of 1K/GS on a plane with 16 seats in F, why shouldn't the person who paid more go before me? I'm on a cheap ticket in coach, it's what I paid for. So likely that's where I'll be sitting.

This.

Front cabin seats for CPUs are supposed to be "leftovers" after UA does what it can to get more than a coach fare for them. It's not UAs job to allocate a percentage of seats for CPUs. If you're on an elite-heavy route, tough luck. It's no different at other airlines. If you pay for a coach seat, you can't think you're entitled to a seat up front just because you're a 1K or whatever. You're entitled to one if UA can't sell it and no one else is in line in front of you. Want a guaranteed front seat? Buy it.

FreFly Feb 14, 2013 6:22 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 20245510)
Do we still think that using an instrument prioritizes you above pax whose upgrades are not instrument-supported?

I was wondering about this as well. Upgrade instruments work with R>0 within upgrade window when CPUs do not clear. But I am not sure about the priority when clearing at the gate.

Peatisback Feb 14, 2013 6:24 am

I was 47th on the evening 777 IAD-LAX flight once....

bldr1k Feb 14, 2013 6:28 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20244183)
I've complained in the recent past about how upgrades are much harder now for top UA elites, but I have a domestic A320 flight tomorrow to IAH where, as a 1K, I'm 17th on the waitlist for an upgrade. Admittedly, I'm in a cheapo bucket, but 17th? Has any 1K ever been lower?

BTW, the upgrade list is currently 48 names long!

I thought perhaps that it might be some computer glitch assigning me lower status, but I'm taking a connecting flight where I'm #2 on the upgrade list (I probably won't get that one either, but at least it's plausible).

I know Thursdays are big elite travel days, but isn't this a bit crazy? I can't imagine many folks thinking the loyalty was worth it if these are your upgrade odds. It would seem wise to me for UA to go AA's route and at least give 1K's a free meal and alcoholic drink in coach, because that's where they're going to be a lot of the time.

Yes - regularly.

The list is ordered by fare (unless you are GS). If you have a G, S, L or other low fare, you will be way down on the list.

mh3265a Feb 14, 2013 6:36 am

Was #28 as a 1K on a 777 from IAD-LAX last year

mherdeg Feb 14, 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by bldr1k (Post 20245572)
Yes - regularly.

The list is ordered by fare (unless you are GS). If you have a G, S, L or other low fare, you will be way down on the list.

This is not exactly what UA says happens.

UA says in its FAQ about the upgrade standby list (available via mobile.united.com) that

How are upgrades prioritized?
Customers standing by for upgrades are prioritized based on several factors, such as paid premium cabin customers versus complimentary Elite upgrades. When not already confirmed in the premium cabin, customers on paid premium cabin tickets are given top upgrade priority.

On flights that are eligible for complimentary Premier upgrades, MileagePlus members will be awarded in the following priority:

Premier members with full-fare (Y class) tickets, in Premier tier order
Premier members with full-fare (B class) tickets, in Premier tier order
Premier 1K members in all other fare classes, in fare class order
Companions of Premier 1K members
Premier Platinum members in all other fare classes, in fare class order
Companions of Premier Platinum members
Premier Gold members in all other fare classes, in fare class order
Premier Silver members in all other fare classes, in fare class order
If there's a tie between multiple customers having the same Premier status, the type of fare originally purchased will be used to determine priority. In the event there are multiple customers with the same Premier status and fare class, the time of check-in will be the ultimate tie-breaker.

Once all Premier upgrades have been processed, all remaining customers eligible for upgrades will be prioritized. Upgrades for qualified pass riders will be cleared after all eligible paying customers have been accommodated.
Interestingly this entry (which, again, comes from the mobile.united.com FAQ about the departure-management standby list) does not mention giving any priority to people using instruments. It also doesn't discuss the unpublished?? Global Services benefit of being on the top of the list.

The main united.com Web site has another link to an upgrade standby list FAQ but it's a dead link (it redirects to the main upgrades page).

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx under "Upgrade confirmation" for their discussion of how upgrades are said to be prioritized before the departure-management waitlist, then for a good time try to click on the link where it says As customers check in, they will be placed on an airport upgrade standby list. This standby list will clear after check-in is closed, and is based on Premier status and fare class. Learn more about the upgrade standby list. and notice that the link target is gone.

Billiken Feb 14, 2013 6:44 am

More Changes I Don't Like...Thanks Jeff

Saw my name in the #9 spot last week.
Guess that means I'm a pitcher.

O-T:
Upgrades this year really stink....UA is now using Airbii for most of the CLE-IAH flights. (Wish they would have battery problems.)

0 for 7 on possible CPUs thus far in 2013.
Six were A319/320 and one 73G.
However, all were G class fares....