FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Where did you end up on the Final Upgrade List, UA Domestic? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1370975-where-did-you-end-up-final-upgrade-list-ua-domestic.html)

valor155 Jul 26, 2012 11:59 am

Where did you end up on the Final Upgrade List, UA Domestic?

I want to post some information from me, that I would find helpful from others. Basically, I want to know where you ended up on the final upgrade list before boarding, US domestic, if you did NOT get upgraded.

This information helps more definitively figure out which times and city pairs can expect to make (or more aptly, miss) an upgrade.

Here is my 1st data point:

Route: SAN-DEN
Time & Day of Departure: 3:30pm, Wednesday
Flight #: 354
Equipment: A320 (12 F seats)
Fare Class: T
Final Position: 17 of 42
Offered Upgrade Cost (if applicable) at Airport/Check In: $169
# of Cleared Upgrades (est.): 6

I know other factors affect position, like time of check in. But, this can give folks a rough estimate of where they might land on the list and how long the list actually is, given the factors above.

I did a search for a similar thread in the UA forum, and did not find one. Moderators please merge if I missed it or close the thread.

I realize hub to hub and peak business travel times will have the longest lists in general. But the more actual data, the better.

I have one more data point for the flight above from a friendly 1K I struck up a conversation with (who was not upgraded):

Route: SAN-DEN
Time & Day of Departure: 3:30pm, Wednesday
Fare Class: unknown
Final Position: 3 of 42

SEA1K4EVR Jul 26, 2012 12:01 pm

I don't know if www.udustats.com is still in use..it may have gone away after the merger.

But if this thread stays open please add more information to each post:

-Flight #
-Time of departure
-Type of aircraft

fadeforward Jul 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 19006792)
I don't know if www.udustats.com is still in use..it may have gone away after the merger.

-Flight #
-Time of departure
-Type of aircraft

Yes, aircraft type (or simply the number of total F seats in the cabin) is essential for this to be useful.

Also, since we have the data now, it would also be useful to know how many people were upgraded (by counting the number of people with check marks next to their names).

WineCountryUA Jul 26, 2012 12:08 pm

I don't know if www.udustats.com is still in use..it may have gone away after the merger. ...

it is still available. Usage has decreased but would be a much prefered way of recording the OP's data. it was long expdanded for more than complimenetary upgrades. Comment section can be used to add any additional info. It has the advantage of being sortable into sub catagories while a regualr thread would not. The web site has breakout on type of upgrade, day of week, time of day, aircreaft type, status, .... Some missing PMCO O/D airports have been added.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-results.html

jacroweORD Jul 26, 2012 12:10 pm

ord to sfo
5 15pm departure
16 of ??
5.5hr delay
AWESOME flt crew...
seemed that it was the brand new 767...
not even E+ for me :(

valor155 Jul 26, 2012 12:20 pm

-Flight #
-Time of departure
-Type of aircraft

I will add the Flight # and Aircraft type. Both good suggestions. I already have the Time of Departure listed.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 19006853)
it is still available. Usage has decreased but would be a much prefered way of recording the OP's data. it was long expdanded for more than complimenetary upgrades. Comment section can be used to add any additional info. It has the advantage of being sortable into sub catagories while a regualr thread would not. The web site has breakout on type of upgrade, day of week, time of day, aircreaft type, status, .... Some missing PMCO O/D airports have been added.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-results.html

Thanks WineCountryUA for the link. Let me investigate that as a tracking mechanism as well. ^

UPDATE: I'm already a fan of udustats.com. I did not know about this site before. Easy to enter and track data. It could use some updating (adding Platinum level, etc), and more data fields, but hey, it is pretty much most of what I was looking for. Thanks to folks who created the site

Unfortunately, the post link is "stuck" in the UA pre-merger thread. I didn't think to search there. I think we could really make the tool useful again with a presence on the more active consolidated forum.

Help keep udustats up-to-date, UA flyers, FT members. Thank you!

fadeforward Jul 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Someone enterprising could do a great service to this community by setting up code to gather all publicly available upgrade stats before each flight. Thanks to online upgrade lists at united.com and mobile.united.com , if we check just after the flight has closed, we could have a database with the following:

1) date
2) day of the week (follows from 1)
3) flight number
4) origin
5) destination
6) aircraft
7) number of total C or F seats (follows from 6)
8) number of people upgraded (number of checkmarks)
9) number of people booked into F or C with revenue, miles, or upsells (not upgraders, 7 minus 8?)
10) number of people on the waitlist at departure

This database would be quite helpful for planning purposes. Just knowing the percentage of upgraders on each flight would be fascinating. Sure, it would be great to know the status and booking class of the first person on the waiting list at each departure, but this database would be far more exhaustive and representative than udustats even if the question it answers isn't complete.

transparent Jul 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by fadeforward (Post 19007386)
Someone enterprising could do a great service to this community by setting up code to gather all publicly available upgrade stats before each flight. Thanks to online upgrade lists at united.com and mobile.united.com , if we check just after the flight has closed, we could have a database with the following:

1) date
3) flight number
4) origin
5) destination
6) aircraft
9) number of people booked into F or C with revenue, miles, or upsells (not upgraders, 7 minus 8?)

This database would be quite helpful for planning purposes. Just knowing the percentage of upgraders on each flight would be fascinating. Sure, it would be great to know the status and booking class of the first person on the waiting list at each departure, but this database would be far more exhaustive and representative than udustats even if the question it answers isn't complete.

Agree this would be interesting information if in a sortable, searchable format. However without class of service, status, and whether upgrade was TOD (do TODs show as checkmarks or booked?) don't think it will be much easier to determine chances of upgrading.

valor155 Jul 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by fadeforward (Post 19007386)

1) date
3) flight number
4) origin
5) destination
6) aircraft

Agreed. This would be a great, fairly easy "pull" solution. UDUstats relies on folks going there and putting in the data.

udustats.com has a lot of info there, but unfortunately, it's really stale as I see very few updates in 2012. A few minor updates and fields, and a little FlyerTalk UA forum participation, and you have a pretty easy tool to reference.

As for me, it's easy for me to collect the data as I board, and post it here or on udustats.

What I like is that the data proves or disproves the "no one is getting upgraded" mantra, and even more vocal, "paid TOD upgrades are stealing my upgrade."

udustats lets you put in a note where you can say if you were offered a paid upgrade, and where you were on the list.

I suppose my real point is that I see the value of the data, whether it is pulled from ua.com or inputted manually on udustats.com. I'll do my part to contribute, since I fly UA a lot.

3piggy Jul 26, 2012 3:14 pm

wow, where did you get your position in the queue?

valor155 Jul 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by 3piggy (Post 19008018)
wow, where did you get your position in the queue?

I just read it off the UG board on the flat screen before boarding the plane. It'll show you how many are eligible for upgrade, how many have already been upgraded, and where you are on the list.

Plane-is-home Jul 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Last week I ended up twice No.1 on the upgarde list even though I bought a first class award ticket with miles. Never showed like that before.

1KPath Jul 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 19008191)
Last week I ended up twice No.1 on the upgarde list even though I bought a first class award ticket with miles. Never showed like that before.

Yup!...Last week I was #1 on the upgrade list IAD-LAX even though I had purchased an F seat...and was on the aircraft in F (with an adult beverage) and the GA came on board to find and upgrade me :rolleyes:...He had no idea why I was on the list...and to make things worse for the upgraders on the flight, two seats in F went unoccupied that flight because they had to push before the agent could get the name of the next person on the list. Not a very efficient system if you ask me!

3piggy Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by valor155 (Post 19008175)
I just read it off the UG board on the flat screen before boarding the plane. It'll show you how many are eligible for upgrade, how many have already been upgraded, and where you are on the list.

Thank you. I remember the old CO has an online system showing it, and it is on the iphone app as well. Wondering if UA can use that too...

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jul 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by 3piggy (Post 19008519)
Thank you. I remember the old CO has an online system showing it, and it is on the iphone app as well. Wondering if UA can use that too...

? I this th eupgrade list that has always been available via the app, and recently restored online?