Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Originally Posted by lexstyles
OK? Sure.
Anything beyond a complete shot in the dark? No.

ps - it should be clear from this forum that no one has any idea whatsoever what will happen in an hour, a day, or in the week until your flight.
bingo. and welcome to flyertalk!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
Originally Posted by Lack
I think this is a simple database querry. They could have handled that in 5 minutes.
The legal framework however, takes the time.
No I am not convinced of that - all tickets also the correct deposited say 4/xxxxxx on the e--ticket receipt. But be aware of the cross-account bookings - trust me this error is more tricxky than a simple query! Even just checking the account for miles dedctions before every call cann take time

so I think it is a combination of both Data and legal framework

Originally Posted by kiez
No I am not convinced of that - all tickets also the correct deposited say 4/xxxxxx on the e--ticket receipt. But be aware of the cross-account bookings - trust me this error is more tricxky than a simple query! Even just checking the account for miles dedctions before every call cann take time

AND NEVER FORGET
they DO NOT pay the revenue price for the f ticket to themselves or their partners (*A, QR)

PROBABLY rather something like 10% of the f class full fare value and thus the damage is a LOT LESS than selling a revenue ticket for 0 USD (instead of 5000+ USD)

SO here the legal cost would probably be much higher than inter-company and inter-alliance comp payments for AWARD tix!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Agreed. The words simple and SHARES should never be in the same sentence. Your point, which could affect even a good rez system, just adds to the complexity.

I wouldn't be surprised if UA has deployed some interns to open up all the SFO/ORD/EWR-HKG seat maps for the next 327 days and go through the F and C cabins one-by-one looking for pax that don't below.

Ok, I'm kidding....... I hope.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
The delay between Shannon's message, and now, is interesting. I am starting to think that I will need to eat a lot of crow.
I didn't think UAL was going to "eat" this massive cost either (given the magnitude of the error, and the fact that we're talking about award chart tickets and not revenue tickets). The "Vegas odds" would still favor ticket cancellation. But the chances that somebody who's booked next month actually gets a free biz class flight to HKG are now greater than "zero." Not sure what the odds are, though. 30 to 1? 20 to 1? Where's my bookie.

In any event, this has become better than reality TV. Glad the media is getting in on the fun. And I'm glad I'm holding these "lottery tickets" to have some skin in the game.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by teddy25
They need to update the first paragraph. This is not the first test of the DOT rules. It may be the first test regarding frequent flyer miles but the RGN deal was the first test.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:01 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
UA Figures 1000 people booked tickets, and those tickets have a value of $10000.00 so this is "costing" $10,000,000.00, plus the lost revenue from those 1000 seats out of inventory. Cost to UA $10MM+
It doesn't cost them the cost of the tickets plus lost revenue, only one or the other.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by iahphx
But the chances that somebody who's booked next month actually gets a free biz class flight to HKG are now greater than "zero." Not sure what the odds are, though. 30 to 1? 20 to 1? Where's my bookie.
Most of the tickets are F not C. I had heard switching to SHARES was saving $100 million or so a year, wonder how much this will cost to honor.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
Originally Posted by Beckles
It doesn't cost them the cost of the tickets plus lost revenue, only one or the other.
what lost revenue - for UA and their partners its award tix so they did not really expect to sell usually

cost of tickets inter company and alliance I thin kwill not exceed 1000-15000 USD at max

Imagine US Airways with them cheap bought miles for 1400 USD (enough for eu to Asia First award) really would make such a big loss then why would the promo still be there in this form although many 1000 s of people booked

reason: The costs they pay UA, TG, OZ,LH, LX and the like mUST BE below that amout!

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Most of the tickets are F not C. I had heard switching to SHARES was saving $100 million or so a year, wonder how much this will cost to honor.
My guess 20 000 tix 50% on own stock so intercompany and little damage

10000 tickets with partners @ 500-1000 each so roughly 5-10 mio USD

BUT and that is the legal misery if for 50% they need to pay DOT compensation of 5000-10 000 USD than that would be a much higher loss so pssoble 50-100 mio in fines at max

so legal considerations are probably understandeable

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
what lost revenue - for UA and their partners its award tix so they did not really expect to sell usually
Except that these could book into standard inventory, meaning last seat availability. Surely there must be some F cabins on SFO/ORD/EWR-HKG that are fully occupied with FTers!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
...the fact that we're talking about award chart tickets and not revenue tickets)....
The fact that one could select any flight with an available seat and book an award for four miles round trip means that they absolutely did affect the availability of revenue tickets. Had this been a glitch that nly allowed saver awards it would have been quite different.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
Right. Since nobody has revealed how many tickets have been sold, my guess since Sunday is that we're talking a $10 million revenue hit based on 2000 pax paying $5000 each being displaced on these transpac flights by freeloaders.

The biggest potential for error in this calculation is if a few people bought TONS of seats, and if UA honors these tickets along with the folks who just bought a handful.

Ten million would be material to UAL's Q3 earnings, but perhaps not so material when spread out over 4 quarters.

EDIT: BTW, if Smisek feels it's better to "give in" to the DOT than fight this, he could choose to recoup this cost by imposing a $5 surcharge on all future award tickets bought in the next quarter or so. Seems too vindictive? Look how he played hardball with the City of Houston over Southwest's new gates at Hobby. It would show that "over regulation" has consequences, and that regulation doesn't always benefit consumers.

Last edited by iahphx; Jul 18, 2012 at 1:13 pm Reason: add comment
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
A few updates in the WSJ article:

A few are already traveling on the tickets and United said it would honor their reservations and bring them home.
A spokesman for United Continental Holdings Inc. said in a statement that the correct number of miles required was displayed to customers on booking screens, and only was incorrect when the final prices was show. He declined to comment on United’s previous policy of honoring mistake fares.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:13 pm

Right. Since nobody has revealed how many tickets have been sold, my guess since Sunday is that we're talking a $10 million revenue hit based on 2000 pax paying $5000 each being displaced on these transpac flights by freeloaders.

The biggest potential for error in this calculation is if a few people bought TONS of seats, and if UA honors these tickets along with the folks who just bought a handful.

Ten million would be material to UAL's Q3 earnings, but perhaps not so material when spread out over 4 quarters.
well award seats are usually this close just given out space available - so I guess it just shyed away UA Standy employees that would have anayway paid little (although more than 4 miles equivalent!)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS
This could be material!

Are there any estimates out there as to how many people successful grabbed these before UA shut it down? UA is expected to release earnings tomorrow and this could possibly lead to a delay in that release, accrual of the cost of snafu, or disclosure of the possible future financial impacts.

Assuming a standard award of 300,000 miles and valuing the miles at $.01, the approximate value is $3,000 per ticket. If 10,000 people got in on this, that's $30 million. I haven't studied the financials enough to make a judgement on materiality, but I suspect $30 million would be in excess of the threshold.

Edit. Just noticed the post by iahphx. Great minds think alike in terms of issues.......we came up with different estimates.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Got email from United:

Earn miles with your hotel stay and car rental in Hong Kong
Get closer to award travel — earn miles on your hotel stay and car rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.