Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Completely unfair for United to want to cancel this >24 hours with no penalty. I'm pretty sure if I book a flight and 3 days later call United to tell them I made a mistake and didn't mean to click Book, I wouldn't get a refund. Why should they be off the hook just because they made a mistake?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
They can yank your account for WHATEVER they want. PERIOD.
Is anyone aware of this being tested in a court of law? I know they have cancelled accounts and I know their contract says they can do anything they like whenever they like it with no liability whatsoever, but is there a judgement that afirms this stance.

Whenever I see 'we have all the rights, you have none' consumer contracts such as the United one posted earlier I am suspicious about whether it is any way enforceable under either common law principals or many consumer protection laws.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Yammer
Is this difficult to understand? Mistake fare or not, ridiculous price or not, the airline industry is unique in that it has to follow DOT laws that state mistake fares have to be honored. Once our reservations were ticketed and confirmed AT ANY PRICE, it must be honored.
That is actually not what the law says.
Originally Posted by Yosef
What??? Threw it away? Why didn't you get it refunded?
Because it would have cost me a sufficient amount in the change fee that it wasn't worth it. Such is life some times.
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
There are no DOT incidents that I can find that apply to award travel.
It is not currently clear whether the rules regarding mistake fares apply to award tickets or not. It is also not currently clear whether being charged only the taxes rather than the listed taxes and miles qualifies as being paid in full, the condition the DoT sets for defining whether the transaction is complete and covered by their rules.

Originally Posted by cdegt
One thing needs to be made clear - people didn't steal or rob the airlines and it was UA itself selling the ticket for 4 miles.
I do not believe that is at all clear.
Originally Posted by Yammer
In this regard, award tickets are treated exactly like revenue tickets.
Really? Case to provide a cite from the DoT in that regard?

I do not believe that it is at all clear.

Originally Posted by Yosef
I haven't seen this point brought up....
Does the fact that they charged my CC have any bearing on the matter?

ETA: i.e. no longer just a MP issue.
Maybe, maybe not. If we're talking about rules vis a vis the DoT then, IMO, the relevant line is "A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer." Charging your CC for the taxes is certainly part of the full amount agreed upon. But it is not, IMO, a clear cut issue at all.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
1) I am astounded (maybe I shouldn't be) by the number of "experts" who claim this mistake is unenforceable by the DOT. The law is clear, the case precedents are out there, the outcome is pretty much a done deal unless the DOT decides for some strange and highly unlikely reason not to pursue this.
I disagree regarding the precedent and the clarity of the law. There is no clarity as to whether tickets purchased by FF points rather than cash are covered by the rule or not. My bet is that they are, but I do not believe there is any precedence or clarity here yet. I also believe that there is some confusion regarding "the full amount agreed upon" and what that means in a case where two prices were clearly listed on the purchase page, one was shown on a receipt and the points weren't debited.

Basically we have a bunch of "experts" who really are just miffed they didn't get in on the deal and don't want anyone else to score
I hope you're not including me in this category. It would be demonstrably false in at least two ways.
So I'm fairly certain everyone who wants to push this issue through the DOT will prevail and have their 4 mile tickets re-instated or honored - but remember karma and don't keep frothing at the mouth over this mistake or beating up UA in general over it. Let the DOT process work its way through and allow UA to come to the table with something that might be worthwhile to consider.
While I think this is the best course of action I see no certainty on the outcome at this point. I do believe that UA considered that before coming to the decision they did so they must think they can get away with it, even with the DoT rules.

I agree that some of the ranting and raving going on between the two threads is a little embarrassing and not showing this community in a good light. This ain't Disboards or Fatwallet - we're suppose to be supporters and consumers of aviation and travel products, not destroyers.
@:-)

I am gonna predict right now that those of you who push this with UA will see your MP accounts go up in smoke.
I'll take that bet. I'll even give you odds.

Originally Posted by cdegt
In China, CA is facing high level competitions and the market are well balanced. They just could not treat customers like dirt in a way UA does.
Are you saying that there is no competition for air service to HKG from the USA? Or within the USA in general??
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I do not believe that is at all clear.
Really? Case to provide a cite from the DoT in that regard?

I do not believe that it is at all clear.
It should be clear. Ticket is a ticket, if we begin to question that, then we might distinigish cash paid vs credit card paid ticket - agent issued, or direct airlines issued etc. There should be no discussion here - and at least in EU, there is none - a valid ticket is a valid ticket no matter how you paid for it.

Originally Posted by sbm12
I disagree regarding the precedent and the clarity of the law. There is no clarity as to whether tickets purchased by FF points rather than cash are covered by the rule or not. My bet is that they are, but I do not believe there is any precedence or clarity here yet.
I think the law is pretty clear not distingishing methods of payment. Award tickets aren't standby or similar based, they shouldn't be treated anyway different.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I think everyone is missing the point. Airlines in general (and American carriers specifically) are just about the greediest business' around. They will fight tooth and nail even before giving a customer back $1 when they are entitled to it ( lost bag claims, hotel expenses, etc). Airlines break the law thousands of times a day and get away with it. Regardless of what is right and what is wrong, or legal , not legal, UA is going to do what it wants and let the chips fall where they may. Those of you telling the guy he should go to Hong Kong tomorrow are being irresponsible. I doubt UA will leave him stranded but am pretty sure they will deduct the correct miles, even if it brings his account to a negative. Those of you that got tickets for future travel are crazy to think UA will honor them. They will try to give the choice of deducting the full mileage or a refund "with fees waved" (I love that line. The balls they have for suggesting that they are doing you a favor by not honoring the tickets). For those of you that stand fast and refuse to accept UA's kind offer of a full refund of the 6 miles + fees and taxes, UA will probably offer some kind of apology with miles, or a reduced rate, etc. for those of us that don't have enough miles to cover the full cost, they may even allow accounts to go into negative numbers. But barring all that, if UA won't honor the tickets, no one is going to "make" UA fly them anywhere. Sure, we could sue them and I'm sure they know that. But by the time the case is heard, your flight will have departed long ago. The worst thing that happens then is UA loses the suit and is forced to give you a new tkt. big deal, they would have done that anyway by honoring them in the first place. It's a numbers game. If UA issued 100 of these tickets and don't honor them how many people will take this all the way to court? 25? If UA loses these suits somewhere down the road (years perhaps), they still win in the long run....Unfortunatly, they usually do.

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie
All the whining, complaining, and threats of suing is classless. You should have known going in that the odds of United actually honoring the tickets was slim. Show some class for an obvious mistake and move on.
+10000. Really, and you wonder why they used the word "over entitled". UA should offer a nice apology w some miles. For those unwilling to work w UA and throw out threats and law suits, UA should do the one thing it has the right to do for "any" reason; start shutting down accounts!!!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 17, 2012 at 8:40 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lack
It should be clear. Ticket is a ticket,...
I agree that it should be clear and I believe that ultimately the DoT will come to the same conclusion that a ticket is a ticket. But I do not believe that said position is definitively clear at this time.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
+10000. Really, and you wonder why they used the word "over entitled". UA should offer a nice apology w some miles. For those unwilling to work w UA and throw out threats and law suits, UA should do the one thing it has the right to do for "any" reason; start shutting down accounts!!!
Indeed, but they haven't.

At the moment many posters here are hemming and hawing and UA is saying we'll give you back money without cancellation fees. Oh, how generous they are.

Should UA offer a sweetener I'm sure they'd find many will cave in and take the offer. There will always be diehards in any situation and UA hasn't garnered any kind of good-will among the general population recently. It's time they conceded something more than nothing.

Again, I don't have a dog in this race, but it sure is fun to watch.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Basically we have a bunch of "experts" who really are just miffed they didn't get in on the deal and don't want anyone else to score...
+1
Exactly what I was thinking. "I was playing golf, mowing the lawn, etc. and missed the fun. I sure as hell don't want someone getting a deal that I missed."

...just file a DOT complaint if you want to enforce your right to this ticket and let it get handled through the process from there... So I'm fairly certain everyone who wants to push this issue through the DOT will prevail and have their 4 mile tickets re-instated or honored.
Two months ago, Korean Airlines took the same "so sorry but no way we can honor our mistake fare" initial position as UA. It didn't take the DOT long to change that tune.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
For those saying that UA's decision means they know something about what DOT would do, don't forget that they sold a lot of tickets that don't touch the US, so they would save money from mass cancellation no matter what DOT decides. And even if everything were US-based, 90% probability of having to honor the tickets is better than 100% probability. UA has proved over and over again that they place no value on brand reputation. They just stranded people in china for three days for god sake, what kind of airline is this?

Also the tickets weren't for 4 miles they were for 4 miles + $50 (for example). I've seen published fares where the base fare is $0 and the total price consists only of "taxes and fees". So what's wrong with an award for 4 miles + "taxes and fees"?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I don't have a dog in this race, but I'd be curious as to how much $ UA has at stake here.

Is it really worth the negative PR / backlash from some of your most loyal customers?

My personal opinion is that DoT is going to make them honor it. But that's my uneducated opinion, others may disagree and are free to do so.

Popcorn in hand, I'll be following this one....
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:57 am

I got in on this with the same mindset as when buying a $200 million lottery ticket, knowing the chances of it happening was highly unlikely. I am not out anything when they cancel the ticket. It was fun to play.

A poster above mentioned that United is looking at it as a billing error not a pricing error. I have not read of anyone saying the pricing screen showed these as being priced at 4 mi. When I booked them, the pricing showed a much higher amount than 4 mi, and i assume it did for everyone. If when booking it had shown the price at 4mi and the billing was for 4mi it would be a completely different ball game when they cancel the tickets.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:57 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
Originally Posted by redtailshark
^ Right on, boca.

Those focusing on "karma" either for or against, as a bulwark for their views, are not thinking about this from DoT/regulatory perspective.

The purpose of the regulation is to bar specific actions from being pursued on the part of vendors. None of those rules is connected to the larger framing of UA sucks/UA rocks, I'm an upgraded 1K/upgradeless 1P whatever.

This may well fall under the purview of 399.88 enforceability. It may not, but there's a strong case building. UA sold tickets at a price indicated on receipts. E-tickets were issued. They are being reneged on, post-issue. Forget the karma. DoT will rule this as a Rubicon. They won't consider context, previous treatment of FF, effect on bottom line etc. Those are all immaterial to whether they consider this an infraction.

UA doesn't care about what's posted on FT.
But neither do DoT.

UA's gambit is to dissuade people from flying, and cajole them into voluntarily refunding their awards by all sorts of vague coercions. That's how their spiel is intended to be received.

But it wasn't well thought out. Option 1 offered by UA is clearly an infringement of 399.88 because it exactly is a "post-ticketing fare increase."

How about Option 3. Ignore all this hot air until March next year. Print all receipts inc. seat assignments. Show up at the airport, printed e-ticket receipt in hand, and if denied boarding, file an IDB as well as a 399.88 DoT complaint.
I also agree with many here that UNITED's "choice" approach is savvy in that it will cause quite a few folks to cancel or agree to cancel their purchased, booked and confirmed ticket 'voluntarily'. That's a 'free' limit of the scope of their liability. They won't start actually contacting people until they see how effective just putting the notion out there that choices are limited is at getting folks to cancel.

But at some point they will start contacting folks. And at some point someone will say 'no.'

Then if UA unilaterally cancels or unilaterally charges more miles and then the customer files with the DoT, we will see what the regulators think.

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time with federal regulators, it is impossible to overstate how pro-consumer the mood in Washington is these days. I've had my butt handed to me several times on issues where companies I represent present an economic case only to have the regulators side 100% with the consumer.

I don't know where DoT will come down on this. But if I were going to bet $10,000, it would be on the side of the consumer.

As others have said, regulators tend to look at issues like this dispassionately and from the perspective of the consumer, NOT the perspective of the company. And they tend to be pretty rigid in that thinking.

That's just my experience. I would never dare to say I know for sure how they will see this.

My other strong agreement is with those who say this is a classic penny-wise, pound foolish matter. The patchwork of systems that UNITED has decided to go with was doomed to result in an outcome like this. These are the scenarios that management and risk consultants spend their lives preaching about. Penny wise, pound foolish. The chickens are roosting.

I am gonna predict right now that those of you who push this with UA will see your MP accounts go up in smoke.
If they did something like that after a DoT ruling, you'd pretty quickly see a push for federal regulation of mileage and points programs. As I said, the mood in DC is pretty damn pro-consumer these days.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
What would really be nice is for people to stop posting what the DOT will or will not do. Is it really so hard just to put a little "IMO" infront of some of these posts. Anyone who says they know with 100% certainty what the DOT will or will not do is fooling themselves.

(I wrote this to late. I stand corrected as the posts above mine are very well written)

Originally Posted by alex_b
Is anyone aware of this being tested in a court of law? I know they have cancelled accounts and I know their contract says they can do anything they like whenever they like it with no liability whatsoever, but is there a judgement that afirms this stance.

Whenever I see 'we have all the rights, you have none' consumer contracts such as the United one posted earlier I am suspicious about whether it is any way enforceable under either common law principals or many consumer protection laws.
I think someone did sue AA a while back over a closed account. If my memory is correct AA won but they had good cause for closing the account. I believe the guy was obtaining mileage some way that was against the stated rules of the program. I don't think that's the same thing as having your account closed because your a nuisance.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 17, 2012 at 8:41 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:00 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Has anyone actually been contacted by united yet?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Is it really worth the negative PR / backlash from some of your most loyal customers?
Based on post 3/3 actions, not sure this regime really cares about backlash from their most loyal customers, many of whom have already up and left for AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.