Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:47 am

I recall one or more passengers were able to successfully fly over there within 24 hours of purchasing the mistake fare. Has anyone flown yesterday or even today? Are they concerned at all about how they will get back if the tickets get cancelled?

Just curious.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by MSPdude
I recall one or more passengers were able to successfully fly over there within 24 hours of purchasing the mistake fare. Has anyone flown yesterday or even today? Are they concerned at all about how they will get back if the tickets get cancelled?

Just curious.
I just don't see how United would risk the bad PR and leave you in Hong Kong half way through your trip.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
putting in 24 hour holds before ticketing or UA's right to cancel within 24 hours any reservation).
This has been mentioned a couple of dozen times on this thread, but I'm not sure it gets round the rules unless they also didn't charge your card and send you a something. The DOT rules seem to suggest that if I've been charged and a receipt emailed then I'm covered, the fact that I'm not 'ticketed'. If (big if) UA back down on this then we have an indication that them charging the card for taxes and not deducting the miles still counts as a purchase, then the debate would be what counts as a confirmation under DOT rules...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sonomawine
Here's our scenario, and yes I called the airline, but many hours after they shut down the 4 miles per trip.

I booked 2 one-way tickets and 2 round trip tickets to Hong Kong. The first set finished off a planned trip, and the second for a get away next year. Like everyone else that booked, the receipt had the usual final amount of 4 or 8 miles, and taxes detailed on the receipt. A couple of hours later, and as many have reported, we had substantial miles deducted from our account, but not to the level to cause the account to go negative. The mileage they deducted after ticketing did not match any published award level. How could that happen? Perhaps they had someone manually deducting miles from accounts that had been previously ticketed?

Being a bit intrigued by this, I called (and don't flame me as it has taken me a while to decide to share this) on Monday morning and requested they return the higher mileage deductions and honor the tickets. After two hours, they did just that. I have the deducted mileage back in my account and the tickets are still valid. They said the tickets would be honored, and the return of miles was based on the receipt. Obviously, I called prior to any of their CSRs knew what was going on, but they obviously had some procedure to follow.
Wow, this is pretty interesting and I would think at least slightly encouraging for other folks who booked this. FWIW, I don't see anything wrong with your calling in when you had miles deducted and wanted to clarify both your mileage balance and your ticket status. I hope you don't get flamed for this.

As for your own immediate situation, I hope you have the name(s) of the CSR(s) you talked to and the office they were in, or at least kept track of when you called. But having the miles deducted and then returned to your account should constitute some proof that the ticket should stand.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:53 am

Here's our scenario, and yes I called the airline, but many hours after they shut down the 4 miles per trip.

I booked 2 one-way tickets and 2 round trip tickets to Hong Kong. The first set finished off a planned trip, and the second for a get away next year. Like everyone else that booked, the receipt had the usual final amount of 4 or 8 miles, and taxes detailed on the receipt. A couple of hours later, and as many have reported, we had substantial miles deducted from our account, but not to the level to cause the account to go negative. The mileage they deducted after ticketing did not match any published award level. How could that happen? Perhaps they had someone manually deducting miles from accounts that had been previously ticketed?

Being a bit intrigued by this, I called (and don't flame me as it has taken me a while to decide to share this) on Monday morning and requested they return the higher mileage deductions and honor the tickets. After two hours, they did just that. I have the deducted mileage back in my account and the tickets are still valid. They said the tickets would be honored, and the return of miles was based on the receipt. Obviously, I called prior to any of their CSRs knew what was going on, but they obviously had some procedure to follow.
Wow...any chance you can get that in writing now? It's one thing for a computer to make an error, but a completely other thing for a human that is trained by UA to not only realize the error that was made, but also interpret it as being completely ok to fix and confirming that it will be honored. I realize it was a front line rep, but come on, that is crazy.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by as219
Well, let's be fair: Virtually all of us knew the steak would scan at $0.10 even though the price on the sticker said $10.00, which is why we all went shopping for steak at this particular store in the first place.
That's right, and I have a very hard time trying to justify that isn't stealing. It is. There is no other word for it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:54 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GMUJD06
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but to be honest, I went to bed Sunday night fully expecting my trip to have completely disappeared by Monday morning. At least from my point of view, had UA cancelled this thing within the first 24 hours, I would have just shrugged my shoulders and said "oh well" and not given it another thought, except for my post-mortem "what if" dreams.
I would have definitely expected to see the airline cancel the erroneous tickets, personally, and had I been a participant, would have also shrugged shoulders and said, "Well, it would have been nice."

However, if they're retroactively debiting accounts for the "correct" mileages, that crosses a line IMHO. While I think the way UA presented the alternatives (pay up or cancel with no penalty) was atrocious, ultimately I believe they were the right alternatives. Perhaps UA felt that they'd get in even more regulatory trouble cancelling the mistake tickets?

Programs: AOPA
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...ogle_news_blog

WSJ on this topic

Originally Posted by XLR26
The only way expected costs would be that low is if UA wins on a motion to dismiss.
Where are you expecting defense costs to rack up on a case with no contested facts? Are they gonna depose my sister who watched me book the ticket to see if it happened the way myself and 1,000 other people have already told them it happened?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond

Interesting. But what exactly did they return? All the miles or all the miles except 4 RDM per ticket?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by davidbridgman
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...ogle_news_blog

WSJ on this topic
cool. it gets even more media attention.

the author reminds united/continental what they said earlier: "In a March 2010 story I did on mistake fares, a United spokeswoman said the carrier’s policy was to honor mistake fares because “that is the right thing to do,’’ and she cited a 2007 example where United had done just that. Continental, Southwest and JetBlue all said they honor their mistakes."
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teddy25
Wow:

The Department of Transportation is investigating United Airlines after the carrier sold tickets Sunday to and from Hong Kong for only four frequent-flier miles plus taxes, then announced it wouldn’t honor those reservations. It may be the first major test of a new pro-consumer ticket-buying regulation.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:05 pm

Well done! I would most definitely screen shot your account where you see the miles deducted and returned. Assuming they did their normal refund versus the magic disappearing act in the Map Your Dreams promo.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
So some thoughts here..... and these are more of out-loud questions (rather then stating any facts):

Am I correct in assuming DoT CANNOT make UA honor the tickets.... they can only (and this is potentially) fine UA for not honoring them?

If that is the case.... what is the fine? 100.00? 500.00? 5000.00?

Maybe right now UA is cost analyzing the problem?

And now the speculation (and I am just pulling round numbers out of my rear... so please don't hold me to them):

UA Figures 1000 people booked tickets, and those tickets have a value of $10000.00 so this is "costing" $10,000,000.00, plus the lost revenue from those 1000 seats out of inventory. Cost to UA $10MM+

DoT says, if you cancel.... we will fine you $5000 per complaint (and only 1/2 the people complain) $2.5MM

So UA unilatterally cancels the tickets and figured they saved $7.5MM?

****Again, Do not hold me to the numbers.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
nbc is on it as well:

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...ier-miles?lite

“We don’t discuss investigations that may be underway, but to date we have not issued a penalty regarding the ban on post-purchase price increases that took effect in January,” said DOT spokesman Bill Mosley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.