Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by VandyBDL
I'd say universal. Like RNG, all tickets were honored regardless of booking engine or airline. This case seems much simpler, it would be all honored or none, regardless of complaint. Then it gets into "Should we file a seperate complaint for each itinerary we booked?"

Seriously, stealing?
When people originally booked this it was certainly not stealing. It was taking advantage of a silly situation. But the people that are trying to drag this out, some want to sue, many want to fight both UA and even the DOT, Those people are almost the same as thieves in my book. (certainly greedy opportunists). Just let it go. Anyone that really expected to fly in these tickets is a moron. We all knew the chances were low at best

Why did UA take my PAID FOR, IN U.S.$, REGULAR FARE TKT and move it from open reservations to INACTIVE RESERVATIONS!!

I wasn't even part if this HKG deal!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:58 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by colpuck
If you have not done so, please take a moment and file a DOT complaint against United. If enough of us act the DOT will be more willing to get involved.
Just wondering - seriously - is there any way to contact DOT in support of United?

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
If you have not done so, please take a moment and file a DOT complaint against United. If enough of us act the DOT will be more willing to get involved.
The DOT form was posted earlier in this thread. It would be helpful to everyone if the poster would extend us the courtesy of reposting
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
FWIW I don't think UAL have come to agreement with DOT. If they hand, I believe they would have mentioned it in their statements. I still think the DOT is saying they likely have to honor it and UAL are just throwing the dice, relying on their view that the award chart and booking process showed the correct number of miles, and cancelling.

So anyone who wants to continue the fight should certainly be filing with the DOT
I couldn't agree more. There's no agreement with the DoT and UA is trying to eek themselves out of a very precarious situation.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
On July 15th 2012 I purchased from United Airlines ticket numbers 016xxx and 016xxxx. These tickets were for myself and my girlfriend, MP, respectively. They were on United Airlines for travel from Phoenix Arizona to Hong Kong. Over four days after the tickets were issued United Airlines in violation of two DOT regulations unilaterally canceled those tickets. The cost of these tickets were 8 miles and $120.24 in “Taxes and Fees.”

First, United Airlines violated the DOT regulation that forbids airlines from canceling mistake fare tickets. United Airlines by canceling these tickets has forced me, if I so, chose to purchase these tickets at a higher price. DOT regulations forbid an airline from imposing post-ticketing fare increase. United Airlines by demanding that I pay more for these tickets is direct violation of the DOT regulation that forbids this practice.

Second, United Airlines is in violation of the DOT regulation that forbids an airline from displaying multiple prices for tickets and demanding the higher price. When I went to purchase these tickets two prices were displayed. I was charged in accordance with DOT regulations the lower price. Now, United Airlines over four days after the tickets were issued is demanding that I pay the higher price. This is in direct violation of the DOT regulation that forbids this action.

United Airlines has waived any defenses that would allow them to cancel these tickets. First, United Airlines has already affirmatively honored tickets issued at the fare as purchased. This was also done AFTER United Airlines knew about the mistake. This constitutes an affirmative act validating United Airline’s liability for these tickets that United Airlines is now illegally trying to disclaim. Also, this fare was validated not just by their automatic ticketing system “SHARES” but by telephone agents that were authorized to issue tickets on United Airlines behalf. It is well settled that businesses are liable for actions take on their behalf by authorized agents acting in the normal course of business. As such, United Airlines remains liable for these tickets as originally issued.

In conclusion, paper tickets belong to the passenger that purchased them. Because they are paper airlines cannot change them without physical possession of the tickets. Now with e-tickets they remain the property of the passenger but in the possession of the airline. This system allows the airline to abuse ticketing in order to shake down passengers for more money in name of a “mistake.” In the July issue of United Airlines’ in-flight magazine United Airlines’ CEO makes the case that airlines are “the most regulated deregulated industry.” The actions taken by United in this case show why that regulation is needed to prevent airlines from abusing the flying public.

As such, I request that the DOT open an enforcement action against United Airlines for the wrongful and illegal unilateral cancellation of the tickets above.

Thank you,
Like it, well written. Not sure if it will succeed but does argue the legal points well!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:12 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Why did UA take my PAID FOR, IN U.S.$, REGULAR FARE TKT and move it from open reservations to INACTIVE RESERVATIONS!!

hmm this is the second complaint of an unrelated ticket getting cancelled. They probably wrote some program to cancel all of the tickets at once instead of doing it individually and thereby screwed something up again and cancelled some valid tickets.

Last edited by myeurocrush; Jul 20, 2012 at 7:21 am
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Just let it go. Anyone that really expected to fly in these tickets is a moron.
Apparently not, since dozens of people, or more, have flown them and continue to do so until tomorrow.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:17 am

1. Time to move on to the next best deal.
2. Whoever discovered this and don't want a mess should have kept it to herself/himself and maybe a few family members.
3. If it were honored, you could expect the Mileage Awards chart to increase to make up the lost of money to honor the awards....then we may just have another thread to cry about
4. Don't like United, move onto to another airline...don't like the food served at whatever restaurant, move onto another restaurant
5. Don't like your job, QUIT or make it better for yourself

Been amused reading this but don't you think we should move on........I do agree with many that for the time and effort, 5k or 10k miles should be awarded but good luck taking UA to Small Claims Court!!! Is it worth the time and effort???
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I couldn't agree more. There's no agreement with the DoT and UA is trying to eek themselves out of a very precarious situation.
Does not look like a precarious situation to me. UA invalidated the tkts and the DOT does not care. Sounds like the right outcome to me.

Should UA at least apologize to these customers? A case can be made for both yes and no. UA probably knows they have really not inconvienenced anyone. They know only a fool would have started planning a trip based in these tickets. If an ATM gives you $1000 instead of $100 by accident will a bank apologize that you can't keep the $900 extra?

Apparently not, since dozens of people, or more, have flown them and continue to do so until tomorrow.
Not really, those people were just smart enough to know that the best chance they had was to leave right away. The one thing I don't think UA can do is strand someone. If they could I'm sure they would

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:59 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
No mention in an article this morning of DOT making a decision in this breaking news this morning on Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6915920.story
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by burmans
Like it, well written. Not sure if it will succeed but does argue the legal points well!
Not really.... he simply chooses to argue his own case without addressing the other things that are relevant and that UA is using to cancel the tickets.
For example that the correct pricing was displayed during booking, that there is a award table and that payment was not completed (the incorrect miles were never charged to the account).

A well written complaint addresses all aspects of the process you went through when purchasing the award tickets.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Cool

I'd say universal. Like RNG, all tickets were honored regardless of booking engine or airline. This case seems much simpler, it would be all honored or none, regardless of complaint. Then it gets into "Should we file a seperate complaint for each itinerary we booked?"

Seriously, stealing?
You're right. It's not stealing and that was a poor choice of words

Last edited by BigPoppaCO; Jul 20, 2012 at 7:39 am
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:33 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others

For the same reason that they offered the 4 mile award - incompetent IT staff.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by weezl
I would not put that box away. Common sense is the major player here, and that is where the matter should stop. Silliness, all of this.
Unfortunately the law is not and has never been about Common sense. If we are talking about foreign perceptions of US would have to say one is that the law usually trumps Common sense!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.