Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 20, 12, 7:44 am

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koopas View Post
Interesting how the email from United makes no reference to the IT glitch that caused the whole fiasco. Another observation is the language "You requested the ticketing...", never recognizing that UA actually ticketed in error. Quite the passive agressive communication, IMO. No apologies for the confusion, etc.

DOT complaint filed.
I think the letter is another over-lawyered PR fiasco. I'm guessing counsel told them not to apologize and to "blame the customer," because I can't think of any other reason why you would word the cancellation letter in this manner.

Unless you're somehow afraid of liability, why not just be frank and honest? There was a programming mistake that enabled you to redeem 4-mile award tickets -- even though the correct price was displayed on the booking page and a reasonable person would know you can't get an award ticket for 4 miles. Due to the nature of the internet, we were overwhelmed by folks taking advantage of this mistake (and yes, we made a mistake), and it's not right to our stakeholders to pay the x million of dollars it would cost to honor these tickets. We think the money is best spent elsewhere, and we don't think the folks who took advantage of our programming mistake truly deserve these tickets. And, under law, we don't think we're under any legal obligation to provide them (give the example of Amazon listing TVs for a penny) . We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. We are working with our IT Dept to make sure this doesn't happen again. You deserve the most reliable reservations website in the industry.

That would be honest. And appreciated. Blaming the customer is neither honest nor appreciated. Another bad move by a company that has been making a lot of bad moves lately.
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
No mention in an article this morning of DOT making a decision in this breaking news this morning on Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6915920.story
Typical of the declining Trib that their breaking news is a rehashed article from Tuesday, with significant recent developments ignored.
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:49 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by uwr View Post
See the first page of this thread.

UA Insider stated that the airline will honor tickets of passengers who have already begun travel and those who are ticketed to travel by July 21.
And based on experience you 100 per cent believe everything UA Insider states, that's particularly generous!

Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
so, um...in addition to canceling my two tickets to HKG for october, UA also cancelled my two f saver awards to SYD (at 150k each) for november. miles haven't been redeposited. anyone?
Complain, you may get some consideration but be polite!!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 20, 12 at 11:08 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SKYMILES Medallion, LH Senator AF KL AC
I have two serious matters going.

I had a ticket ( purchased - not award ) Boston Honolulu canceled without any explanation.

On my HKG ticket United has posted several additional ( fraudulent charges)
for insurance and extra leg room.

"EXTRA LEG ROOM ?? For heavens sake I was booked in First Class. Do they sell additional Leg Room for THAT ??

None of these "options" were selected during purchase.

Fraud/Deception/Incompetence - you decide.

I am furious. No more revenue to United. Redemptions ONLY.

I will ask my friend to help me utilize all the award loopholes in their system to the max. Posted about that a few days ago. South America to Australia 15.000 miles in Business Class sounds good to me.
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Blaming the customer is neither honest nor appreciated. Another bad move by a company that has been making a lot of bad moves lately.
^^

That email is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. Not only did I request a ticket, I received a ticket. While they displayed the "correct" price, they also just as prominently, if not more, displayed the lower price. I didn't fail to pay, I paid what they required of me at the time.

I agree it was written by lawyers seeking to limit liability, but seriously, just admit you made a mistake, make me feel you're sincerely sorry for all the hassle (that I'll admit right now I played a part in by booking a 4-mile award ticket), and let's move on. Perhaps you could invest the savings of not honoring all of these tickets into an IT system that works? Just an idea.
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Someone should put this near the OP. Or potentialy it would be appropriate to start a new thread regarding *just* the content/progress/status of DOT complaints?

I'll start one and leave to mods' discretion for whether it should be separate.

Update: here it is! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-actions.html

Last edited by fsfsfsfs; Jul 20, 12 at 8:06 am
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:58 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by VandyBDL View Post
It'd be nice if you were right, but I think that if they did this without DOT approval while in the middle of an inquiry they would be downright stupid. Not to say they aren't anyway, but the DOT would have basically got slapped in the face by UA saying they aren't waiting and they will do whatever they want. DOT would likely make them reinstate all tickets and issue huge fines if that were the case, because I do think UA violated the DOT rule. Especially after that DOT individual was quoted stating the rule does apply to mileage tickets. Now, not only has UA lost all credibility, so has the DOT with respect to this rule.
Not sure I agree with this logic, plenty of people here complaining about lack of contact and they may have felt they had to do something. And group behavior theory is such they may even have convinced themselves of the argument. But has DOT actually said anything?
Old Jul 20, 12, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
I'll take that bet.

While I respect your normal posts, on this thread, your theorem was disproved, and I have doubts about this prediction being correct as well.

The one thing we all have learned from this, if we haven't realized it in the last year, is that UA makes up there mind at a high level on something, then does it regardless of what others give as input. Shares, IAH/WN/mp restructuring, and now this. I've learned not to play poker with Smisek unless I have a royal flush as he doesn't know how to fold.
Haha, yes, I would have lost that bet! I really didn't expect to get a 'midnight' email about this. Fortunately, the bet was offered to Cblasd, and I don't see that he took it! Maybe he's not a betting man... Phew.

As for the theorem -- there's a reason it's a theorem and not a law! And interestingly, UA cancelled at about the 99 hour mark, which to some degree shows that there is significance to the first 100 hours. Theorems always get refined over time. Here's hoping for many more chances to refine this one over the weeks and months ahead..... with SHARES around, I'm suspecting we will get the opportunity.

And finally, we don't truly know this is over yet. It might be, but for a few, I suspect the fight as just begun.

And thanks Fastair for the kind words..... and not beating me up to much for being wrong!

Last edited by hobo13; Jul 20, 12 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 20, 12, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
My 2 reservations have been cancelled.

DOT complaint submitted.
Old Jul 20, 12, 8:07 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Submitted DOT complaint this morning using a heavily edited version of colpuck's template.
Old Jul 20, 12, 8:08 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I just got off the phone speaking to a reservation supervisor , who said it was a mistake fare I received and she could reinstate my reservation . She also said I would need to pay a extra 1,240,000 miles to continue . I said there are two dot violations you can not ask me to pay a higher fare once ticketed and two the ticket is my property you can not cancel it.

Response "I'm very sorry sir"
Old Jul 20, 12, 8:11 am

Programs: AOPA
What is 77 W Wacker Dr's phone number?

THere no need to call reservation but corporate office getting 10,000 phone calls will be interesting
Old Jul 20, 12, 8:16 am

In all due fairness

If someone was making an award redemption say at 160,000 miles (genuine
redemption) and the final "purchase this itenerary" screen showed a
bottomline of 320,000 miles (due to a programming error).

What would that person have done ??

Buy it at 320,000 ? or

Call in to have it corrected BEFORE the purchase ??
Old Jul 20, 12, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flycal312 View Post
My 2 reservations have been cancelled.

DOT complaint submitted.

Now, I'd replace the tickets @ FMV and sue for damages and attorney's fees.

Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
What is 77 W Wacker Dr's phone number?

THere no need to call reservation but corporate office getting 10,000 phone calls will be interesting

Isn't EXO near ORD?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 20, 12 at 10:16 am Reason: merge

Search this Thread
Search Engine: