Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by UAbruin
Get off your high horse will you? People are mad over the way UA handled this whole thing (i.e. No communication and no advance notice of cancellation).
Sure, they are. See below:

Originally Posted by N1120A
2) I believed a contract that I made with United would be honored.
Sorry, @UAbruin, for every person you claim is unhappy with the treatment, there are 10 who wanted UA to fly them r/t in First for 8 miles and $40.

@N1120A, yeah, you got status match so you came on over. Congrats. You'll eventually feel slighted by AA; then where?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I was with you until that clause
Well many sportsmen win games by taking advantage of their opponents' mistakes; and many businesses succeed by taking advantage of their competitors' mistakes.

But never mind this isn't important and is off topic.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
Thanks. But these people are not in the mood for what you and I are offering up. We have a guy one page back who is absolutely furious at the cancellation email he received - he actually BELIEVED he was going to HKG for 8 miles and $40!

And the scariest part: they're all threatening to come over to AA and One World!
I don't believe he had any non ref hotel reservations for $1000. Another SB looking to get something for nothing. He thinks UA is gonna reimburse him for this? I usually think UA is much to rigid in requesting receipts for things like lost clothing, etc but I hope UA demands to not only see his hotel confirmation but his cc receipt as well before reimbursing a penny.

Trust me. Now that UA has spoken, we will still see a bunch of SB's that refuse to slink away quietly and still try to extort money from UA. I Had hoped UA would allow most of these people to fly but since that's not the way it went, just let it go.

Hay, your right. Many will take their business to AA . Good luck with them
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by gvol21
Seriously, all entitlement aside, what seems to get folks going is the ridiculousness of the deal. $40 and 4 miles for F to HKG. The rules should not be applied any differently compared with $4000 and 400 miles, or even if it was $40 and 4 miles less than the ordinary full price.
Let's take it a step further. Suppose the "glitch" allowed every F route in the world you can book with UA miles to be on "sale" for 4 miles? Would you expect UA to also honor that? How about if the revenue hit was in the hundreds of millions of dollars and their stock nosedived? You could have entire F cabins filled with 4 mile passengers.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Many will take their business to AA . Good luck with them
We have a lot of happy 1Ks over at AA this year. I'm sure AA will appreciate the additional business from any UA flyers wanting to make the move. Don't expect any 4 mile award tickets, there, though.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Do you think if you went to a best buy and tried to buy a $4000 TV and it rang up at 4 cents they would honor the price?
If they completed the transaction, Gave you a reciept and helped load it into your car... then 3 days later tried to take it back what would your opinion be?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I don't believe he had any non ref hotel reservations for $1000.
Me neither. This mistake is so obvious that I think most, if not all, of those who claimed in this thread to have booked non-refundable hotels were just saying it for whatever reason incomprehensible to me.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:40 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by hobo13
Not one FTer has posted that they have been contacted.

Want to take a bet that there are no reports of such until at least 6AM CDT tomorrow? I'm giving you 9 hours to cash-in.

If you don't take the bet, I stand by my position. They are 'in the process' of contacting...... no one.
I'll take that bet.

While I respect your normal posts, on this thread, your theorem was disproved, and I have doubts about this prediction being correct as well.

The one thing we all have learned from this, if we haven't realized it in the last year, is that UA makes up there mind at a high level on something, then does it regardless of what others give as input. Shares, IAH/WN/mp restructuring, and now this. I've learned not to play poker with Smisek unless I have a royal flush as he doesn't know how to fold.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Let me say again what I think is happening is United is trying to get away with all of these violations of DOT regulations by painting a picture of what happened that is UNTRUE. I think this based on their statements about the issue. It seems like they're trying to make a case that the "correct" price was displayed all the way through and somehow the computer made an error at the end and issued tickets without checking for or deducting the payment. This is NOT WHAT HAPPENED. UNITED HAS LIED TO DOT TO GET AWAY WITH THIS. Everyone make it clear that the price displayed was "4 miles + taxes/fees" at all stages of the ACTUAL PURCHASE (after specific flights were selected) and that United successfully charged the monetary part and had access to and could have deducted the miles portion at will like always. Be sure to explain these things in your complaint so it becomes clear to DOT that United lied to them to get away with this.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by tom911
Let's take it a step further. Suppose the "glitch" allowed every F route in the world you can book with UA miles to be on "sale" for 4 miles? Would you expect UA to also honor that? How about if the revenue hit was in the hundreds of millions of dollars and their stock nosedived? You could have entire F cabins filled with 4 mile passengers.
Beat me too it. But you left out the thousands of UA employees getting their layoff notices.

Me, me, me. Gimme, gimme, gimme. It always comes back to this (no matter how many times they invoke 'the contract'). Sad.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Yammer
UNITED HAS LIED TO DOT TO GET AWAY WITH THIS.
You have access to the communications between UA and DOT? Pretty strong statement if you don't.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic

We have a lot of happy 1Ks over at AA this year. I'm sure AA will appreciate the additional business from any UA flyers wanting to make the move. Don't expect any 4 mile award tickets, there, though.
Whose fault is this mistake? Time for United to update their infrastructure, then. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Yes, they'd have to honor it. If I had a million dollars and foolishly kept it on my person in cash, only to lose it somehow, would I still be responsible for the loss? Or would I say, "Losing that money would bankrupt me, there's no way I should be responsible!" Whether I lost ten or a million, blame still lies with me, for not being more careful. If United made a foolish decision not to more rigorously check its IT systems, it should live with the consequences. Unless United is Too Big to Fail

Last edited by gvol21; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:58 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Exclamation

Moderator Note: the topic of this thread is UA's Official Response to the recent HKG Ticketing/IT Error, not other posters, their philosophical views on morality, and/or their relationship with an airline.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward,
UA Forum CoModerator
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by gvol21
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Yes, they'd have to honor it.
So if the stock nose-dived, and UA took a financial hit in the tens of millions of dollars if this offer had been offered systemwide, it's just a cost of doing business? Can't say I agree with that perspective but certainly an interesting point of view. If I was a UA shareholder, I'd be pretty upset if the stock nose-dived as F cabins worldwide started filling up with 4 mile passengers.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by wyogold
Quick question guys:

Does anyone know what happens when DOT levies a fine against an airline? Do they pocket it, does it go into some general fund, does (part of it) go to the passenger?

If the DOT line their pockets, now that would be something.

Lemme know ...
Money goes to DOT.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:04 am

So if the stock nose-dived, and UA took a financial hit in the tens of millions of dollars if this offer had been offered systemwide, it's just a cost of doing business? Can't say I agree with that perspective but certainly an interesting point of view. If I was a UA shareholder, I'd be pretty upset if the stock nose-dived as F cabins worldwide started filling up with 4 mile passengers.
Would you be upset as a shareholder that your company does not have check and balances in place that a multi million dollar train wreck happened as the 4 mile passengers could get hold of these seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.