Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Accrding to the USeless Today, the DOT said this:I'm not sure what the cash payment part means -- does that refer to the fare component, the tax component, or either? I guess time will tell.
This would be the time you wish your award ticket has a YQ or YR component which is considered cash component by the government, and therefore making the award ticket no longer "free" - now it has "value" so it subjects to 3 more taxes that normally do not apply to the "no value" award ticket... The BA award is a perfect example on this scenario. Or the AA award that includes either a BA flight or an IB flight would also be good examples on this.

If the cash payment only consists to government taxes and fees, it would be a very gray area as the award ticket is considered has "0 value".
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gvol21
^^^^

That, my friends, would seem to be the answer, no? I'm sure it's not that simple, but still...
Don't be as arrogant as CO. Just because the DOT is looking into it does mean there's a verdict.

A good sign... yes. Definitive answer.... no.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by uva185
From the USA Today article...

Bill Mosley, a spokesman for the Transportation Department, says that the department is looking into several complaints it received about the frequent-flier tickets. He says the new rule would apply to frequent-flier tickets, "particularly when they also entail cash payments."
"cash payments" and taxes are two different things. Miles w a copay is what I believe he was talking about. There were no cash payments to United IMO if the charge was taxes only. UA is just a middle man here and just passes these taxes on

Note the IMO I inserted since I should add that since I am not an expert on aviation law like everyone else here, this is just ,my opinion. I will leave the cold hard facts to the experts here
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
If the cash payment only consists to government taxes and fees, it would be a very gray area as the award ticket is considered has "0 value".
I'm not usually one to wordsmith (especially with regards to an incomplete quote in a news article), but the statement seemed to say that the rule applied to all FF tickets, not just ones with a cash component.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
This would be the time you wish your award ticket has a YQ or YR component which is considered cash component by the government, and therefore making the award ticket no longer "free" - now it has "value" so it subjects to 3 more taxes that normally do not apply to the "no value" award ticket... The BA award is a perfect example on this scenario. Or the AA award that includes either a BA flight or an IB flight would also be good examples on this.

Does it matter? If there is no ticket purchase, would there be any taxes?
In my opinion, taxes/fees are part of "payment", yes? no?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:43 pm

Good thing the tickets I booked for my family next week have $75 close-in booking fees attached.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cdegt
I tend to agree. And the DOT might agree too -- we are in a very consumer friendly era, and it could be argued that the average consumer doesn't know or care where the money they pay on an award ticket goes. The fact that money changes hands might seal the contract.

Contrast this with a hotel award booking..... typically no money is exchanged.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by uva185
From the USA Today article...

Bill Mosley, a spokesman for the Transportation Department, says that the department is looking into several complaints it received about the frequent-flier tickets. He says the new rule would apply to frequent-flier tickets, "particularly when they also entail cash payments."
Hmmm...this makes it very interesting...

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Well, I just got a call from United. I figured it could not be about this deal since I didn't "buy" one of these 6 mile tkts. It wasnt about that. The good news is the automated voice told me that flight #50 from EWR-FRA is on time tonight. THE BAD NEWS: I don't have a ticket or a booking for that flight nor have I ever had one

I thought the call was a mistake but then realized it was probably UA's way of advertising to me that they now FINALLY have a flight that is leaving on time
This is indeed funny...and strange...and pathetic.

I assume you checked your reservations online just to make sure that UA (or someone else?) hadn't somehow ticketed/booked you onto that flight.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Could someone put in a standard form for filing complaint with DOT?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdegt
The FAA or IRS dont consider the taxes on the award ticket that is deemed as "0 value" being a cash payment to the airline which is just collecting such on behalf of the government.

It is the YQ / YR the government ruled that they are simply part of the revenues the airlines pocketed, therefore those award tickets are no longer free, so they are subject to the segment fee, the International arrival and departure tax, etc.

This topic has been discussed / debated ad nauseum in the BA forum and occasionally surfaced in the AA forum.

BA continues to wrongfully charge taxes on certain AA flights that do not carry YQ, but flights to/from Caribbeans, making tax collection on such. Someone actually reported that he contacted government agencies (forgot which ones), and eventually got refund on those taxes.

There is a true distinction on whether an award ticket is deemed "0 value" or with value when it comes to taxation purpose. Therefore, the interpretation of "cash component" is a big gray area.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by amejr999
I'm not usually one to wordsmith (especially with regards to an incomplete quote in a news article), but the statement seemed to say that the rule applied to all FF tickets, not just ones with a cash component.
No wordsmithing required. A plain English reading of this DOT spokesman's statement is that the DOT regulations apply to award tickets.

OK, all FT e-lawyers who missed out on the deal, please jump on this and explain why United is right.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Hmmm...this makes it very interesting...
Not really any more interesting then it was already going to be. Some people will still try to stick it to UA know matter what. It looks like some here think these tickets are their right to have as a way of making up for the crapy service we all have had to live with. The funny part is some of these same people will be back tomorrow, posting away on some other thread about the injustices they have been forced to endure as some of United "best customers". Kind of reminds me of the saying "with friends like these, who needs enemies". Just sub the word "customers" for "friends"
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
did someone really book 75 tickets?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
The FAA or IRS dont consider the taxes on the award ticket that is deemed as "0 value" being a cash payment to the airline which is just collecting such on behalf of the government.

It is the YQ / YR the government ruled that they are simply part of the revenues the airlines pocketed, therefore those award tickets are no longer free, so they are subject to the segment fee, the International arrival and departure tax, etc.

This topic has been discussed / debated ad nauseum in the BA forum and occasionally surfaced in the AA forum.

BA continues to wrongfully charge taxes on certain AA flights that do not carry YQ, but flights to/from Caribbeans, making tax collection on such. Someone actually reported that he contacted government agencies (forgot which ones), and eventually got refund on those taxes.

There is a true distinction on whether an award ticket is deemed "0 value" or with value when it comes to taxation purpose. Therefore, the interpretation of "cash component" is a big gray area.
well, considering miles can be purchased directly from airline companies, which creating another big gray area.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Hehehe - look what a simple typo can unveil...
http://www.untied.com/

PS - This has possibly been posted here before but I thought that with all the negative sentiment against UA, now would be a good time to remember this genius site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.