Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 20, 12, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
So if the stock nose-dived, and UA took a financial hit in the tens of millions of dollars if this offer had been offered systemwide, it's just a cost of doing business? Can't say I agree with that perspective but certainly an interesting point of view. If I was a UA shareholder, I'd be pretty upset if the stock nose-dived as F cabins worldwide started filling up with 4 mile passengers.
Would you be upset as a shareholder that your company does not have check and balances in place that a multi million dollar train wreck happened as the 4 mile passengers could get hold of these seats.
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:04 am
Suspended

So if the stock nose-dived, and UA took a financial hit in the tens of millions of dollars if this offer had been offered systemwide, it's just a cost of doing business? Can't say I agree with that perspective but certainly an interesting point of view. If I was a UA shareholder, I'd be pretty upset if the stock nose-dived as F cabins worldwide started filling up with 4 mile passengers.
That's their problem investing in an airline that has demonstrated ineptitude in many ways. Do the shareholders shed a tear when I make a mistake and need to cancel/change a ticket and get robbed by fees that are almost as much as the tickets?
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:06 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Received this email from united 1 hour ago:

"Update regarding award itinerary
that includes Hong Kong

Dear xxxxxxxx,

You recently requested the ticketing of MileagePlus award travel to, from or through Hong Kong (confirmation xxxxxx). Because your account does not have enough miles to complete the purchase, we have canceled the ticket for non-payment and refunded all taxes and fees. The number of miles required for this award was provided during your transaction and is published on the MileagePlus travel award chart on our website.

If you have already canceled the ticket, please disregard this email.

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to serving you in the future"

I confirmed that my ticket is gone...
Not even an apology in the email... Thanks united.
Anyone else get cancelled?

Last edited by myeurocrush; Jul 20, 12 at 12:11 am
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by hcampana View Post
Received this email from united 1 hour ago:

"Update regarding award itinerary
that includes Hong Kong

Dear xxxxxxxx,

You recently requested the ticketing of MileagePlus award travel to, from or through Hong Kong (confirmation xxxxxx). Because your account does not have enough miles to complete the purchase, we have canceled the ticket for non-payment and refunded all taxes and fees. The number of miles required for this award was provided during your transaction and is published on the MileagePlus travel award chart on our website.

If you have already canceled the ticket, please disregard this email.

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to serving you in the future"

I confirmed that my ticket is gone...

Anyone else?
Mostly all out here have had their tickets cancelled a few hours back...
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:10 am

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
You just totally ignored the fact was UA screwed itself. If you are a trader, would you be able to void any one transaction you made just because it was a wrong decision will bankrupt you?

Tonight's lottery result void because someone hit the jackpot. Let's roll the balls one more time~~
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by flyer31 View Post
Would you be upset as a shareholder that your company does not have check and balances in place that a multi million dollar train wreck happened as the 4 mile passengers could get hold of these seats.
As a shareholder I'd want to know how this error occurred (hardware? software? employee error?) and what actions are going to prevent it in the future. I don't know if checks and balances really come into play with a one-time error. I'd be curious if anyone at UA even knows how the "glitch" occurred. I haven't seen anyone that would have access to that info share it here (and those that have access to is probably can't share it anyway).
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
I think you're right in some ways but will play the cynic. I don't claim to know anything about the revenue and profitability characteristics of the customers who took advantage of this, but my guess is that United has a hypothesis that on average they are not very profitable -- they are deal-seekers who capture significant value out of miles, and (if they get upset about something like this) are likely high cost-to-serve/high expectation customers that they would prefer not to be bothered with.

I'm not saying United is right or even if they were right if that would be an advisable customer strategy, but it may be what's going through their head. There is quite obviously suspicion of entitlement and a lack of service orientation -- UA may just thing it's the right thing to do to purge the system.
You can be certain that UA tracks the spending of all MP members and keeps track of their CPM yield. They immediately know who are good and bad customers. A long time ago, a UA supervisor told me that the average yield for a 1K was around 15 CPM. Now, I don't know if that is true any more, but it sounded like that was a number that they thought was sort of a minimal desired yield. Obviously they include total spend calculations as well to ID the GSs that they select.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 20, 12 at 12:17 am
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
You just totally ignored the fact was UA screwed itself. If you are a trader, would you be able to void any one transaction you made just because it was a wrong decision will bankrupt you?

Tonight's lottery result void because someone hit the jackpot. Let's roll the balls one more time~~
The SEC voids bad orders all the time.
Remember the "Flash Crash".
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:13 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Surely this can't be the end , there is no response from DOT yet . Didn't the last ones get cancelled then reinstated .
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Do the shareholders shed a tear when I make a mistake and need to cancel/change a ticket and get robbed by fees that are almost as much as the tickets?
I doubt they do, but with you being charged a published fee you're not taking a potential loss in the tens of millions of dollars that F cabins with 4 mile flyers across the UA network would be causing. Aren't those fees spelled out in the ticket rules when you buy the ticket if you take the time to review them? UA isn't extracting anything from you that you haven't agreed to when you made the purchase. You'd have the same exact issue over at AA or DL. Just can't see the shareholders objecting to having the ticket rules followed.
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Well if I am ever in a bind I will know one place not to call for a defense lawyer
Why? Would you prefer to have a defense lawyer who lies to you and tells you that you have a great case? Trust me, those are easy to find.
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:17 am

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
The SEC voids bad orders all the time.
Remember the "Flash Crash".
Sure SEC can do that, so does [email protected]:-)
I said in case of "you"? can you cancel any deal made by yourself which has been done already? Apparently not.
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:19 am
Suspended

I doubt they do, but with you being charged a published fee you're not taking a potential loss in the tens of millions of dollars that F cabins with 4 mile flyers across the UA network would be causing. Aren't those fees spelled out in the ticket rules when you buy the ticket if you take the time to review them? UA isn't extracting anything from you that you haven't agreed to when you made the purchase. You'd have the same exact issue over at AA or DL. Just can't see the shareholders objecting to having the ticket rules followed.
That's fine and I expect United to follow DOT rules. DOT said award tickets are covered, this was a classic mistake fare, thus this should have been honored. The 4 mile price was displayed fully before and after purchase and United set that price. My reservations were confirmed and ticketed.
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
Sure SEC can do that, so does [email protected]:-)
I said in case of "you"? can you cancel any deal made by yourself which has been done already? Apparently not.
There were many small traders that had stop loss orders execute at 1 cent per share on some large companies, Accenture was one of them I remember and Exelon. Some of these traders were completely wiped-out on paper. The SEC went back and voided all of the wildly underpriced (and overpriced) trades and made these traders whole.
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
That's fine and I expect United to follow DOT rules. DOT said award tickets are covered, this was a classic mistake fare, thus this should have been honored. The 4 mile price was displayed fully before and after purchase and United set that price. My reservations were confirmed and ticketed.
I suspect that isn't how DoT is seeing it. They are seeing it (as does UA) as a billing error. Customer knew the correct amount, booked a ticket without sufficient miles, system error allowed ticket to process. Now canceled for insufficient payment. Note that if you had sufficient miles those were deducted per the published chart and the in process of purchase display. I understand that a lot of folks here don't like that interpretation but it seems to be a reasonably valid one that DoT can adhere to. Notion of increasing price or cancelling a correctly paid for ticket never even comes up in that world view. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that UA and DoT don't view it that way. And - it allows DoT to avoid a ruling it probably is loathe to make due to common sense issues. My guess is that one fallout of this will be some amending of the rules to cover cases like this one so as to make clear that obvious errors that any reasonable customer should have seen as such are not covered by the rules.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: