Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by UAbruin
+1. I don't even care if United honors the tickets or not. But not communicating with customers since Sunday and then cancelling the tickets without notification is just a terrible way to handle this whole thing. As if they needed any more bad press about not caring for their customers (however over-entitled we may be).

After I use my last UA voucher, I'm taking my business elsewhere, probably AA.

Now ... How do I go about changing my username on here??
+ 1
UA is running a business like the mob. If they screw up, they give you a something for free. When they don't want, they take it from you without your consent/understanding/knowledge. How is it okay even if I am not entitled to this ticket?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I can't believe how many people are upset that they were not allowed to loot free first class tickets from an uttended store.
well, who handled payments in a "untended store"? You call MP website is untended?

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:46 pm Reason: Edited for rules violation
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Did they give you your miles back?

Originally Posted by lehmanins:18966357
I am SO angry that I had to post. I joined this site years ago and read it often but never comment. I am 2mm and fly a LOT. I find this outrageous. On principle, if for no any reason, I am going to call American first thing tomorrow and see what they can do about matching my current status. You owe me United. And you ain't getting a penny from me until you make me whole.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
It's starting to become difficult to differentiate between people who are being ridiculous and people who are being ironic.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:17 pm

So if you walk into a 7/11 and the checker is asleep it is OK to grab as much merchandise as you can and walk out the front door?

Originally Posted by cdegt:18966370
I can't believe how many people are upset that they were not allowed to loot free first class tickets from an uttended store.
well, who handled payments in a "untended store"? You call MP website is untended? are you out of your mind?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I think from now on, whenever I have a choice between United and another airline, you know my choice would be: not United for sure
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by UAbruin
+1. I don't even care if United honors the tickets or not. But not communicating with customers since Sunday and then cancelling the tickets without notification is just a terrible way to handle this whole thing. As if they needed any more bad press about not caring for their customers (however over-entitled we may be).

After I use my last UA voucher, I'm taking my business elsewhere, probably AA.

Now ... How do I go about changing my username on here??
I hate to say it but it's true: airlines in north america are more or less the same. The most important is that, if DoT let UA off hook like this, it will make a horrible example to all these companies. Today UA can do it, tomorrow AA could copy it too. not just for this 4 miles thing, we are actually not protected by anyone.

So if you walk into a 7/11 and the checker is asleep it is OK to grab as much merchandise as you can and walk out the front door?
still trying to change subject? Who is the cashier in your UA store?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I think the biggest winner argument is that UA expects to make a mistake and not pay a penalty for cancellation 5 days later. They have an entire IT department. We get 24 hours (of which we're sleeping an average of 7-8) and have other stuff going on in our lives. If anything comes of this, hopefully its an extension of the period--maybe excepting travel within 2 weeks--during which we can cancel or change without a fee.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:22 pm

I think that most of the people hating the 4 mile people and united airlines don't get it......people are more mad about the way united handled this rather than the whole discount 4 mile trip issue.

people are upset because 1) united seems to only care about the money, 2) They lie/say what they want to make people believe they are a good company (e.g. wsj article), 3) they could have sent a personal email on monday saying they were evaluating the issue, don't book any refundable hotels if your flight is more than a week away, we will get back to you, and then 4) canceling all our tickets and not calling anyone....if 1-4 don't' tell you that the company is only out for the bottom line, i don't know what does....if you can think of something, please tell me..why you moralists would defend a company like this over a person...well...this is why society is going downhill...no more personal relationship...ironic its because of the moral ethical peeps

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Excellent!

Originally Posted by duc1986d
I think from now on, whenever I have a choice between United and another airline, you know my choice would be: not United for sure
Maybe something good will come out of this massive screw-up after all. It seems likely that a whole bunch of UA's "most loyal customers" will take their business elsewhere and leave more upgrade space for the rest of us!^

In all seriousness though (I know a lot of people have a moral issue with how low the "price" of these tickets were), but I think the DoT just set a precedent for airlines cancelling award tickets. I am sure you can differentiate an "acceptable" mistake fare, but this at least gives support to cancellation based on the airline's judgment.

Originally Posted by cdegt:18966407
still trying to change subject? Who is the cashier in your UA store?
Again...just because nobody is watching the store it is OK to take as much as you want?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by teddy25

I am not upset, I have my eTicket printed from last sunday. without a cancelation email of my flight, I am heading to the airport on the date of my flight. We'll see how UA and DOT will do then.
Good luck with that. You may want to ask your spouse/partner who comes to drop you to the airport to keep the engine running as it is going to be a quick in and out.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Gold
Thanks! That was more of a rhetorical question, but good to know!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Let's be honest here - nobody reasonable is going to knowingly steal something. I don't think anyone here is a thief. But I also don't think your analogy is accurate.

More like 7/11 has a sign that prepaid phone cards are $0.04 for a $500 value card. Good sale, eh? But then without warning a few days later, your phone card is cancelled unless you started using it or intend to within the next 48 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.