Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 19, 12, 10:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
So if you walk into a 7/11 and the checker is asleep it is OK to grab as much merchandise as you can and walk out the front door?
Let's be honest here - nobody reasonable is going to knowingly steal something. I don't think anyone here is a thief. But I also don't think your analogy is accurate.

More like 7/11 has a sign that prepaid phone cards are $0.04 for a $500 value card. Good sale, eh? But then without warning a few days later, your phone card is cancelled unless you started using it or intend to within the next 48 hours.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:25 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
If I wasn't a ft member I would have no idea what's going on . I made a reservation and now it's cancelled can I call the airline now and ask them what happened to my reservation
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UAbruin View Post
Thanks! That was more of a rhetorical question, but good to know!
You're welcome. Always glad to be moralistically helpful.

Originally Posted by lehmanins View Post
...until you make me whole.
What would that entail?

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aschuett:18966428
So if you walk into a 7/11 and the checker is asleep it is OK to grab as much merchandise as you can and walk out the front door?
More like 7/11 has a sign that prepaid phone cards are $0.04 for a $500 value card. Good sale, eh? But then without warning a few days later, your phone card is cancelled unless you started using it or intend to within the next 48 hours.
Only if the prepaid cards were priced at $500 until you actually run your credit card and are ready to sign at which point you realize you have only been charged 4 cents.
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sal2009 View Post
I think that most of the people hating the 4 mile people and united airlines don't get it......people are more mad about the way united handled this rather than the whole discount 4 mile trip issue.
So true - communication is key.

Again...just because nobody is watching the store it is OK to take as much as you want?
Except United charges you to use the "checkout lanes" with a person - $25 per checkout. They believe in their online system enough and put enough resources into it that they actually charge you to NOT use it.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Again...just because nobody is watching the store it is OK to take as much as you want?
Just FYI customers had already made the payment at the cashier exactly as the merchandise tagged, in case of you do not know this fact.

If UA is not capable to run its MP system, they shouldn't have opened it in the first place. They were open for business on Sunday, they should eat all they caused, period.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:30 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by Shanye2233 View Post
If I wasn't a ft member I would have no idea what's going on . I made a reservation and now it's cancelled can I call the airline now and ask them what happened to my reservation
I would not call unless i get an email from United. If you don't get any communication from United, you can "assume" your ticket is valid. thats $ome DOT fine for cancel without disclosing.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Only if the prepaid cards were priced at $500 until you actually run your credit card and are ready to sign at which point you realize you have only been charged 4 cents.
More like it says $500 on the shelf, but the self-checkout scanner rings it up at $0.04. The low price was in more prices than the high price. Bah, all analogies break down at some point. Just have United send out an email and it will be ok.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by aschuett View Post
Let's be honest here - nobody reasonable is going to knowingly steal something. I don't think anyone here is a thief. But I also don't think your analogy is accurate.

That's not the right analogy. The correct analogy would be as follows:
The Phone Cards were always advertised at the right amounts, it's just the Cashier charged you 4 cents instead of 500$ and the Customer who knew about the error decided to keep those Phone Cards which really amounts to stealing. Yes you do have a Receipt showing 4 cents as the Price of the 500$ Phone Card, but you knew all along that the price was 500$ and still decided to keep it as the Cashier did not realize his mistake.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Just a tip for those furious: Delta would never cancel an award ticket without notification. If this is so important, give Delta a try.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by spsawant View Post
Good luck with that. You may want to ask your spouse/partner who comes to drop you to the airport to keep the engine running as it is going to be a quick in and out.
+1. And I'd add 'verify defense laywer's contact info in smartphone'...

@DC777Fan, it appears some did fly the first day or two for 4 miles (we'll have to get confirmation). So UA did take a hit. Not the pound of flesh you were interested in.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
One could argue that it would be foolish to leave a store unattended. One could further the argument that if a store owner is really that foolish, he deserves to suffer the consequences.

On the other side, someone who has gotten their tickets at the price he knows is wrong has no moral right to get on the high horse. It's not wrong to take advantage of the price mistake, but it is wrong to get all wound up because they have refused to honor it. I'm sure the United made their cost/benefit analyzes of the situation and decided that pissing of a few hundred customers would be a more desirable outcome than honoring thousands of free first class tickets--which probably would've been catastrophic to their business.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:35 pm

The Phone Cards were always advertised at the right amounts, it's just the Cashier charged you 4 cents instead of 500$ and the Customer who knew about the error decided to keep those Phone Cards which really amounts to stealing. Yes you do have a Receipt showing 4 cents as the Price of the 500$ Phone Card, but you knew all along that the price was 500$ and still decided to keep it as the Cashier did not realize his mistake.

In that phone card example, the person tagged the product and maybe the Cashier need to be held responsible for the error.

If you ever shopped at Publix, you will know that if they made a price error the product is free.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
What is the practice in the US? I did experience price error in a US store and I got it honored as tagged price. In Canada, the store will sell it to you at tagged price plus 10% of price difference between tagged and actual price up to $10. It's all about what the "tagged price" is. It seemed andyh64000 means a "tagged price error", but you guys are more talking about a card transaction mistake.
Old Jul 19, 12, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace View Post
+1. And I'd add 'verify defense laywer's contact info in smartphone'...

@DC777Fan, it appears some did fly the first day or two for 4 miles (we'll have to get confirmation). So UA did take a hit. Not the pound of flesh you were interested in.
I will call 1-800-Ask-Gary!!!!! They will get me a good lawyer. and then i have to give the lawyer 50%.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: