Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:34 am

Since we all had so much fun at SQ's expense, maybe they are trying to play with our emotions by putting out this phantom availability
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by 787fan
.... while SQ execs cry in public over how UA MP'ers could use merely 80K miles to redeem IAH-DME-SIN-MEL in 77W First class (with potential for Suites switch-over).

Is that even enough to pay for the fuel of the pax and the heavy F seat ?
Which leg is the potential R class switch? I am booked DME-IAH in mid-April '13, that would be the icing on the cake of this deal.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I would not worry. I called him when this was still a CF. I take it as a good sign that they sent a message out so early to stations half a world away. I was surprised he even knew what I was talking about

They dont "deny" them to us but they are as easy to get as say UA GF NRT-BKK in Dec . I have my miles go to UA and my "spend" go to PPS/Krisflyer w any Silk Air miles. I was thinking of letting my SQ miles stay w PPS/KF but decided against it as while it's "psbl" to get 77W F, it's easier to buy the tkt and use my UA miles on more expensive LH flights. There are very cheap full F fares on SQ but you have to hunt for them. They JUST discontinues a great fare on 3/3 (surprise). UA PS F from JFK-SFO connecting to SQ F SFO-ICN $3800 o/w. that's gone now but was there for 2 years. Also, I still mourn the SQ F RTW that was discontinued this year after 5 years w no fare increase $6900 + $700 in taxes (now they still have the RTW C fare which is a little cheaper but they add up to $2000 in taxes
There are still some great F fares TPAC or TATL X Dhaka / Karachi / Lahore on OAL to SIN and then SQ 1,2,15,16,25,26. Under $12K R/T
I usually find 77W F savers to be pretty easy to land with KF miles. I booked BCN-GRU one way in F for like 58,000 miles (an absurd value) and it was available all week. DME-IAH has always been open when I check as well. My issue with using KF miles for the SQ seats is unless you want to go to SQ's awful *A chart, you're just getting the SQ flights and you can't build absurd itineraries like you can with United.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 10, 2012 at 7:01 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
I once had a tkt between FRA - SIN that i asked to be changed over from SQ to LH cuz I wanted to try the "bed and seat". What a fool the best part is while SQ said it was no problem, LH would not accept it without an add / collect from A to F (thank God I said no and stayed on SQ, I didn't know at the time that only 2 LH 744s had been converted and it was not on the SIN flight. I would have had 2 seats, not that comfy full size bed on the 77W
I once flew a head-to-head F comparison of SQ vs LH JFK-FRA-JFK. SQ ex-JFK and LH ex-FRA to use the then-new FCT. While the FCT was indeed an experience (especially +/-5 years ago), LH was miles behind in terms of seat comfort at that time even vs SQs older 744s and also well behind in catering. The caviar quality was of no comparison...though as someone whose flown SQ F long-haul a handful of times now, it does bother me that SQ serves crackers with their caviar. I want blinis; esp for my breakfast serving of caviar.

Around that same time I flew EK on the then-new A345 F suites on JFK-DXB-JFK which was beating them both handily in my view.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
I once flew a head-to-head F comparison of SQ vs LH JFK-FRA-JFK. SQ ex-JFK and LH ex-FRA to use the then-new FCT. While the FCT was indeed an experience (especially +/-5 years ago), LH was miles behind in terms of seat comfort at that time even vs SQs older 744s and also well behind in catering. The caviar quality was of no comparison...though as someone whose flown SQ F long-haul a handful of times now, it does bother me that SQ serves crackers with their caviar. I want blinis; esp for my breakfast serving of caviar.

Around that same time I flew EK on the then-new A345 F suites on JFK-DXB-JFK which was beating them both handily in my view.
Thank God I hate caviar . I've NEVER had it on a plane in my life (or in the ground since I got sick from it 20 years ago. It's a big problem for someone that likes to get his money's worth

That EK 345 w the 3 rows of suits (777s have 2) are flying some strange routes you normally don't see suits on. We were in it in Feb from DXB-Seychelles and the schedule has shown that all year. I really miss that flight to JFK. While not an airbus fan, it was the first EK plane to get suits AND it stopped in Hamburg (making it psbl to fly EK from the US to Europe).

** JUST GOT AN EMAIL FROM EK SAYING THEY ARE ADDING A 2ND 380 to JFK AS OF JAN
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
The caviar quality was of no comparison...though as someone whose flown SQ F long-haul a handful of times now, it does bother me that SQ serves crackers with their caviar. I want blinis; esp for my breakfast serving of caviar.
At least LH uses plastic utensils to serve their caviar!!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: spg platinum, hyatt diamond, Intercontinental Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
But the reason SQ limits participation must have something to do with what they pay for catering.
that would be highly speculative and honestly what you wish to know is really superficial.

AFAIK, all issued bookings with valid ticket numbers and sq booking reference numbers will be honoured.

Its SQ own FFP members who will have less inventory to book into.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by channa
Sounds like a stale receipt. Common issue at continental.com. Go back to the res and "add email / request receipt" and it will generate a fresh receipt.
I sent myself a receipt twice in the last few days and they both had the details of my original flight, and the miles have not been deducted from my UA account...

However, both Singapore Airlines and United show my "new" itinerary when pulling up my reservation. Also, when I called in yesterday, when the agent brought up my itinerary, it was the new routing.

I'm completely stumped on this one. Anyone else seen anything like this?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jpripcord
I sent myself a receipt twice in the last few days and they both had the details of my original flight, and the miles have not been deducted from my UA account...

However, both Singapore Airlines and United show my "new" itinerary when pulling up my reservation. Also, when I called in yesterday, when the agent brought up my itinerary, it was the new routing.

I'm completely stumped on this one. Anyone else seen anything like this?
It's happened since the integration. I'm sure they'll audit at some point and correct it. Till then, have fun
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by miloteddy
Maybe, in the next couple of months, SQ Will announce F Class is serving tiger beer as a pre- flight beverage and all passengers get chicken and rice. However, I do expect At least 6 different condiments. Get rid of your FT luggage tags or you may never see your golf clubs again.
Hey!! What's wrong with Tiger beer and chicken rice??

Originally Posted by 787fan
Does SQ open Dom bottles for short-haul 77W F like SIN-HKG ?
Yes mini Krug even from SIN - CGK

Originally Posted by TerryK
That was from 2007. It has nothing to do with current O/I class frenzy.
Wow they serve Dom Rose 96! Perhaps it really is a class above F. Lol

Originally Posted by jetersnvrprosper
I'm so bummed I missed out on this... now I'm trying to legitimately book an award but the phantom SQ inventory is still showing on the website! Such a tease!
I wake up every Sunday with a hangover and the first thing I do is grab my iPad and check for crazy weekend mistakes!

Originally Posted by iexaltu
Since we all had so much fun at SQ's expense, maybe they are trying to play with our emotions by putting out this phantom availability
That's fine with me, I've no more miles left with US carriers. I was going to transfer 100K to Krisflyer from my Amex. But now I think I'll do CX F :P

So my own flights are SIN - MUC and FRA - SIN
What are the chances of me getting a swap to the 380. I swear if I'll finish 1 Dom Rose + 1 Krug!

Last edited by lsed; Jul 10, 2012 at 8:04 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
At least LH uses plastic utensils to serve their caviar!!
Isn't it supposed to be bone?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Isn't it supposed to be bone?
mother of pearl. but failing that, plastic next. never supposed to use metal (I say this tongue in cheek because I have not the palate to be able to differentiate between caviar served with metal, mother of pearl or plastic, least of all at 30 thousand feet )
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Which leg is the potential R class switch? I am booked DME-IAH in mid-April '13, that would be the icing on the cake of this deal.
Others were claiming that another SIN-MEL is the next up for A380
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Bora Bora is pricey, but Maldives takes the cake. Check out some of the rates over the New Year for the Four Season - both locations. I have been just about everywhere, anyone experienced somewhere more expensive than Maldives? Simply as a destination. Even "exotic" trips like Bukara, Bhutan, Lhasa, Seychelles, Mauritius..nothing compares to the Maldives.
One & Only Reethi Rah, where London likes to go for the festive season, is invitation only (approval by the GM of room release), and the basic beach front villa goes for nearly $5K/night, double normal. Plus supplements for mandatory Xmas brunch and NYE Party with $750K fireworks display. OTT.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by chasingthedream
that would be highly speculative and honestly what you wish to know is really superficial.

AFAIK, all issued bookings with valid ticket numbers and sq booking reference numbers will be honoured.

Its SQ own FFP members who will have less inventory to book into.
Did I say anything about them not honoring these tkts? I don't believe so. I made a comment that one of the reasons they limit participation is because there costs (especially catering are so high). That has nothing to do with these recent tkts that were an expensive mistake on SQ's part. I tend to agree that they will be honored but that's also speculative. In fact just because as far as your concerned all people with valid tkts and PNR's will have their tkts honored is also speculative. I tend to agree but my thoughts, your thoughts and a dollar will get us on the subway. SQ will end up doing whatever it wants to do which probably will be to honor the tkts

As far as me saying I would like to know what airlines pay each other for FF tkts, again, what does that have to do with anything? I would just like to know for me. Information is always a good thing. It does not meen I plan to or can do anything with it. Just interesting info
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I meant Bragging in the most complimentary way!

I suspect the 8 bottle record is at risk. I'll have 22 out of 24 consecutive hrs in F from IAH to SIN via DME....If I average 1/2 bottle an hr, I'm landing in Singapore with 11 bottles under my bladder and liver. Time to start training....
But the training itself will be expensive (unless you practice with Natty Ice)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.